Kansas Coyote Hunting Newbie

BigBlaes

Hi, my name is Adam, I've been an outdoors man all my life, and have recently decided to get into coyote hunting with my dad, whom also has been an outdoors man all his life. I'm seeking any advice on how to effectively hunt coyotes in Southeast Kansas (I live in Cherryvale, KS and farm with my family). Any and all advice would be GREAT!!! Thanks a ton, and God Bless!

Last edited:
First, welcome to PM. I would just read as much info as you can on this site. The guys on here are willing to help anyone out if you have any questions on anything. Another thing I did was I bought a couple of videos and watched them and got a idea on what to do and then tweak them for my liking. I have been successful and I have failed at this.

One thing is for sure is never give up....

BigBlaes,
Welcome!
There's getting to be more & more guys from Kansas here on Predator Masters.
I'm sure there's probably someone familiar with your part of the state/area's terrain, who might give you some specific "pointers".

At this point, unless you have specific questions, then I suggest read everything you can...here; in magazines; in books on the subject (there's not many); and any other places you can; grab a Verminator's DVD & observe everything that is done & goes both right & "wrong" (misses, ect.).
And of course, ask questions. We're all here to help.
Welcome to the addiction!!

Im from NE Kansas (Topeka)and most of my best stands are on cattle pastures with a few acres of woods for the coyotes to hole up in. Get out there before sun up and give a few greeting howls. I usually wait about 10 minutes before starting the distress calls. Good hunting brother!

Welcome aboard.If you want to hunt a contest i put one on down by Chanute (stark).If not feel free to come over and say hi and meet alot of great people.My son and i will hunt down there on sat for a little while if you want to go with us let me know maybe we can meet up.

Gone coyote hunting twice... 4 inches of snow and got SKUNKED both times... Don't know what to do... Doing everything I can...

Don't give up and don't expect a thing from Wiley. You'll connect and when you do it will be worth the many hours and time spent walking, freezing your butt off, and you'll go home with a smile saying," I can't wait to do that again."

Originally Posted By: BigBlaesGone coyote hunting twice... 4 inches of snow and got SKUNKED both times... Don't know what to do... Doing everything I can...

At least ya got skunks both times out. Better than nothing.
tt2.gif

No snow YET Michael? Maybe you guys ain't paying your fair share of the taxes out there?

Gone hunting the past 5 days, haven't even seen a single coyote. My brother went out this morning and shot a darned coyote... Don't know what im doing wrong... Took all the advice on here ans still 0 luck... Guess if I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have ANY luck at all.

Adam,

Im not too far from your area and the hunting has been pretty good the last week or so. Remember many more people than you think are calling and it seems everyone is using a Foxpro and educating a lot of coyotes with em. My best advice is to keep your vehicle out of sight, try and walk in at least a 1/4 mile if possible and keep the volume low to start 10-16. Been having pretty quick responses lately but don't be afraid to give it 30 minutes this time of year. And always, always play the wind!! There is nothing going to keep a coyote from winding you if he gets down wind. Hang in there and be patient and when you do get one coming crank the volume way down and let em stop before you pull the trigger. Good Luck and Good Hunting.

Adam, don't give up. It will happen. Called 3 sets this morn, shot a single on the first set at the 4 min mark and busted on the next 2 sets. Around this area not finding alot of sign in the pastures but alot around the brush piles, water ways and creeks. Be aware of the bobtails they have been moving pretty good over the last week. Took a 28 and 29.5 pounder last weekend. Sorry guys but no pics for lack of a camera. Stay with it bud cause good this will fall in place for ya.

Thank you guys!!! I never give up, hahaa, gone 10 times the last 5 days. Do the yotes come preferably downwind everytime??? Or can they come from upwind? Should I just watch the downwind area?

Also, if anyone could help me get an idea of how to blow this darned hand call, I would be eternally grateful... It's a Primos Double Cottontail call. What kind of sequence(s) whould I use and do??? I've been calling for 1 minute, waiting 2-3 minutes, then calling for another minute, and so on...

Im also using a "Hare Bawl Screamer" made by EDGE... It seems to work good, as in move a lot.

I use my dad's fox pro stuff whenever he or my brother aren't... All in all, im trying to take this sport head on, DIVING IN!!!
tongue_smilie.gif

Last edited:
keep after and mix it up. im just north of you in chanute, there are a lot of coyote hunters in this part of the state which means theres a lot of smart coyotes. watch the wind, stay at home if its out of the east, call a little longer, and try different types of calls and different set ups. youll get.

Back