20 gauge coyote load?

TripleDeuce660

There are two areas by mne that i want to call by they are shotgun only. I believe they get very little calling pressure because you can't use a rifle. I see or hear a dog dang near every time we go to these two spots.

Problem is I only have a 20 ga franchi 48 which is a 2 3/4" chamber. looking to just use the full choke it came with.

What is the best load to try and what is the killing range?

Would the #3 buck be best or how about something like BBB birdshot? I know alot of guys use the biggest birdshot out of a 12.

I'd use either the #3 buck or some Remington 'HD' loads in the largest shot available in 20 ga. I'm not sure what that is but something like #2 on up if it's available.

Federal makes a #1 shot load. I have it in 3" and can't say for sure if it comes in 2 3/4". I use the #3 buck in 2 3/4" for dogs. Works well. Rem and Win both have 20 pellets in the #3 buck.

I'm wondering if they have have buffered and copper plated loads they would probably work better.

Here is a total bummer. One of the spots is in the lead free zone! Man there are no lead free 20 ga loads that I can find which will work. I'd have to roll my own with some HD shot.

Remington makes a Wingmaster HD 2-3/4" 20 ga load with 1 oz of lead free HD #4 birdshot. I don't normally recommend #4's but if you only shoot at the front end of the coyotes at 35 yards and less the heavier than lead HD #4's may do just fine.

I did see that #4 load. wasn't sure if it would be enough punch.

Man, I never should of sold off my 12 gauge 870! It was such a heavy tank to lug around I got the 20 gauge franchi. Never thought I would need the 12. I would stick with the rifle if it wasn't illegal.

anyone want to trade a LNIB franchi 48 for their 12 gauge semi with 3" chamber?

While duck hunting, I've called in a few coyotes and shot them with #4 Hevi-Shot. Longest shot was 50yds +/- (I mis-judged the range or I wouldn't have let my son shoot). All coyotes were killed, but the one at 50 yds took 2 hits and made it about 30yds before expiring.

Remington HD, Winchester Extended Range and Hevi-Shot are all the same Tungsten based shot, except that Rem & Win grind the pellets round.

There is a guy who markets extreme high density shot, under the name of Tungsten Super Shot. Supposed to have a product density of 16-17grams-per-cubic-centimeter. Rem, Win and HS have a density of 12.1gr pcc. I would expect #4TSS to perforate a coyote out to 50yds.

Back