Bushnell elite 6500 4.5-30x50 a good scope??

I am really considering buying one of these for on my 25-06. I want a scope with alot of versatility due to using it for varmint as well as large game. Does anyone have any feed back on these scopes? all and any input would be helpful!!!
Thanks, Slap

Last edited:
I have one on my .204 AR. I love it. Other than this scope, the most expensive scope I have owned is a Leupold VXIII 4.5-14, so I can't compare it to the really nice glass. However, for the price range, I am more than happy. They offer a few reticles and I chose the mil-dot. The scope has tons of light, great clarity, clicks are solid and always go back to where you started, and even zoomed into 30, it is still incredibly clear. I found it new on ebay for the best price. Even cheaper if you just want a standard duplex reticle.

I have one and really like it, it is clear the whole range, however, when you get up into the highest powers it tends to lack light a bit. Mine has tracked well, but for me, resetting the turrets to zero is a pain, I always seem to move POI slightly. Guess it doesn't help that it was below zero when I was sighting it in and testing ammo, fingers don't tend to work too well in those conditions.

I also bought mil dot and am really digging it.

I've had a burris black diamond which is a competitor for the 6500, it was very clear and did great with brightness throughout, however, it didn't track well, or hold POI when adjusting power... I can't have that, so I brought it back to the store.

You'll never shoot at anything far enough to use 30x. Get a good 4-16 and spend the rest of the money on bullets, brass, and powder!

Originally Posted By: Borden811You'll never shoot at anything far enough to use 30x. Get a good 4-16 and spend the rest of the money on bullets, brass, and powder!

SAYS WHO? Just because you won't or can't doesn't mean someone else can't or doesn't.

I have read a few reviews saying the glass on the 4200 was better (actually the reviews I read said the 4200 was MUCH MUCH BETTER), but I haven't had the chance to look through any yet.
I've also been considering the 6500 4.5-30x50 and wish I could find one somewhere in stock to look through it for myself first.

Iv got one. The scope starts getting blurry on the edges. When you start getting to upper end of power. Other than that it is a good scope for the money. I shoot it on 308 pistol. Holds zero real well. The only complaint I have does not take much to knock finish off. I do have mil dot and it gets cranked alot.

SAYS ME!
grin.gif
I know he wont. Didn't say you won't....I said he won't.

Originally Posted By: slaptriggerI am really considering buying one of these for on my 25-06. I want a scope with alot of versatility due to using it for varmint as well as large game. Does anyone have any feed back on these scopes? all and any input would be helpful!!!
Thanks, Slap

Have you seen this? I bring it up because of your screen name.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: Borden811SAYS ME!
grin.gif
I know he wont. Didn't say you won't....I said he won't.

He's just cheap and wants me to buy all of the reloading supplies instead of getting a nicer scope!!!! SCHMUUCK!!!

Originally Posted By: slaptriggerand I definately think I want to get the mildot compared to plex.

Just a nugget of info you might not hear somewhere else. The Mil-Dot reticle in all the Elites I have seen are a smidge on the thick side. May not matter to you, but to some it does. Thought you might want to know that.

Chupa

I have the Elite 6500, but it's a different power range. I believe it's a 2.5x16x50. I have no regrets purchasing it and wouldn't be afraid to say I didn't like it if it didn't perform to my expectations! It is very clear glass for the price range and have really noticed that at night with my kill light mounted on top, I can actually run up to 6 or 8 power and still get a clear picture and positive i.d. of an animal. Most scopes will get to blurry at night if you run the power up. I'm sure the 30mm tube helps alot in that aspect but can't say forsure because all my others have had 1" tubes. It is a little on the bulkier side, if you are concerned with weight and size it may not be your best choice! If that's not a concern I'd say go for it and you wouldn't be disappointed.

I have the same scope ( DUPLEX ) on my R-25 308. Nice scope. a little dark at 28,29,30 power but not much. i have owned a lot of scopes in the 25x to 30x power this is the best . i would only look at the ZEISS RAPID Z for a other choice. My friend has one and the marks are right on thge money out to 1000 yards. they had some internet sales on them last year for 899.00. marty

You're not smart enough to figure out how to use the mil-dot. I suggest you stuck with the plex. And since you called me cheap, I won't put enough powder in your shells(since I have to reload them for you) to shoot 100 yards, let alone far enough to use 30x on something! If you want a "nicer" scope, quit being cheap yourself, and a get a Nightforce.

Originally Posted By: Borden811If you want a "nicer" scope, quit being cheap yourself, and a get a Nightforce.
Yeah, that's a valid statement I agree with. However, the Bushnell is about half price and still not what I'd call cheap lol.
When Nightforce starts making a 4.5-30x scope...I'll be jumping right in line for one. I don't know of ANYWHERE that has that kind of magnification range. The 40x I have now is nice when I spot for my cousin at 1200 because I can call out his impact spots, but the 10x low end gets tough when critters get inside of 75yds. The 4.5-30 range would fill my needs VERY well as long as the glass and tracking are on par with the zoom technology. (of course...it can't be any worse than what I've got now)
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: Borden811You're not smart enough to figure out how to use the mil-dot. I suggest you stuck with the plex. And since you called me cheap, I won't put enough powder in your shells(since I have to reload them for you) to shoot 100 yards, let alone far enough to use 30x on something! If you want a "nicer" scope, quit being cheap yourself, and a get a Nightforce.

and your not smart enough to figure out how to load a round to not make it to 100yds!!

Originally Posted By: cbass16
I have read a few reviews saying the glass on the 4200 was better (actually the reviews I read said the 4200 was MUCH MUCH BETTER), but I haven't had the chance to look through any yet.

I have a 6500 2.5-16x44 and a few 4200's in 2.5-10x40. Comparing them both @ 10 power, the 4200 gets the nod for the better glass. They may be doing something about this in 2011 as they phase out the 4200 and 3200 lines and standardize them as Elite models.

Originally Posted By: cbass16

Yep.

And I've seen hundreds of "3 shot one holer" internet groups proving that factory guns shoot better than full on custom benchrest rifles, too.

Does that make it true?

Fact is that the Elite 6500 and Elite 4200 line of scopes use the SAME glass
blushing.gif

You're paying more for the 6500 due to the luxury of having that fantastic 6.5x zoom range to play with.

That 6.5x variable magnification zoom range of the 6500 makes the scope a bit more 'finicky', but that's why Bushnell gave the 6500s a side focus knob for.
One can't expect a 6.5x zoom range scope to look crisp & clear throughout such a wide magnification range without re-adjusting the side focus...

Originally Posted By: knockemdown
Fact is that the Elite 6500 and Elite 4200 line of scopes use the SAME glass
blushing.gif

I'm aware of this but do you think there could be any other reasons for the difference I see? Its ever so slightly and probably hardly noticeable.

I'm curious to see what they have planned for this year. Wonder if the shot show will tell us anything.

Back