Savage vs Ruger 17hmr.

OtterBob

On split second decision, I purchased the new Savage 93 17 TR in 17 HMR. With out a doubt, it's a shooter. However, it's just a little to bulky to carry hunting. I am thinking about replacing it with the Ruger 77/17 with the heavy barrel. I've already got the 22 lr version. If any of you have the Ruger, I would love to hear about the accuracy of it.
Thanks..

Definate possibility of a probable maybe that it will shoot "Minute of Elephant". But it'll be he!! on the hides
whistle.gif

Chupathingy

I've got a Ruger 77/17 HMR. Mine will shoot cloverleaf groups at 100 yds. Unless I have a couple of fliers it would be hard to find 10 individual holes with a 10 shot group. It's one of my favorite rifles.

"he!! on hides". What?

Originally Posted By: 1trkyhntrI've got a Ruger 77/17 HMR. Mine will shoot cloverleaf groups at 100 yds. Unless I have a couple of fliers it would be hard to find 10 individual holes with a 10 shot group.

Yea,,,, all of my rifles will do that "unless I have a couple of ""fliers"" LOL
Sorry, I knew what you ment due to the inconsistancy of rimfire ammo, but it sounded funny.

To the OP
I've had poor luck with three of em. (77/17 77/22 7722H)
Nice little rifle with problematic bolt design, crappy trigger, poor barrel quality, and a big price tag IMO.
I won't be buying any more. Shame too, because I really like the magazine and the feel of them.
JMO based on three rifles..
I'd look at Sako Quad or CZ.

Originally Posted By: 1trkyhntrI've got a Ruger 77/17 HMR. Mine will shoot cloverleaf groups at 100 yds. Unless I have a couple of fliers it would be hard to find 10 individual holes with a 10 shot group. It's one of my favorite rifles.

I got one of those little beauties, but I cheated a tiny bit. The previous owner had a fine trigger job done on it and I (10 minute job) installed a Volquartsen barrel (on sale for $180!) for just for that little bit more accuracy. Looks cool too. It shot very well out of the box but now targets the size of a dime are not an issue out to 100 yards and a bit more.

Those .17 Hummers sure are fun. Is it Spring yet?
frown.gif

I too like the Ruger for their magazine. I would buy another if it was what I was looking for, but I really want a Cooper.

The order I put them in as far as a complete package:
Marlin

I had a savage 93 17 that was a very nice rifle. I will take the savage over the ruger anyday of the week.

The savage has a hb, and so does the ruger? I would think the weight reduction would be minimal if at all. Splitting hairs I think

Originally Posted By: 1trkyhntrI've got a Ruger 77/17 HMR. Mine will shoot cloverleaf groups at 100 yds. Unless I have a couple of fliers it would be hard to find 10 individual holes with a 10 shot group. It's one of my favorite rifles.

"he!! on hides". What?

Out of the rediculousness of that entire statement, you think I was being serious about that part? It's sarcasm, if you take anything I say seriously...you'll be in the looney bin with the quickness!!!!

Chupa

The Savage .17 I have is absolutely fantastic to shoot. What do you mean by bulky? Too Long, weight? Because a heavy barrel Ruger does not seem to be an option to fix your bulky problem. Jusr wondering what you are trying to change to appease your particular situtaion.

Thanks, for all the helpful information. After comparing my Savage to my Ruger, I've decided to keep my Savage 17hmr. Hope to save the money and buy another Stag AR.

Yeah I could have gotten a bad Savage, but the fit and finish was horrible. There were alot of burrs in the metal and the screws were mismatched, looked like a kid threw it together.

Also my Marlin would outshoot it so I would spend $200 on a new Marlin before I would spend $250 on a new Savage. I do, however, think the ruger is is in a different class. Even though my marlin and savage both shot smaller groups, I had no problem hitting anything I aimed at. It was still a MOA rifle.

I like CZ's but the safety is alittle hard to get use to. I do own one, and think its best kids rifle on the market today (CZ Scout). I just really like having a 9round magazine that sits flush with the underside of the gun.

Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: jbuck

Also I would put the Sako and CZ very close with the nod going to Sako because it is a switch barrel.

Well then you're in luck because the new CZ's also a switch barrel.
wink.gif

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/455-american/

I forgot about that I seen one, but was in a hurry and didn't get a chance to handle it. I look forward to playing with one though.

The one I seen was a 17hmr/22lr combo. Seems like it would be pretty hard to beat.

Originally Posted By: DOGMAN243savage is there anything else? Sorry savage nut here!

+1, especially for the price. I have a Model 93FVSS that shoots as well as any gun I've ever seen.

Back