Illuminated reticle or not?

boandme

Just starting to get serious about this predator hunting (called in a pair of coyotes today but couldnt get them any closer than 375 yards which was out of my range with the rifle I was shooting) what do you guys prefer for shooting coyotes, illuminated reticles or not? Most of my hunting for now will be during daylight for the most part.

Originally Posted By: Brian StewartI never turn on my illuminated reticles unless I am hunting at night or low light. But for night hunting they are hard to beat.

Thanks,
that's pretty much the answer I was looking for.

They are good in low light condition, not a must and you'll not use them a whole heck of a lot. However, it is a good option to have in the event that you ever need one.

Originally Posted By: crow sniperI have been buying scopes with illumination lately. I like having the option of using it if i need it.

That's kind of the way I was thinking. If you want to use it, it is there.

Originally Posted By: Brian StewartI never turn on my illuminated reticles unless I am hunting at night or low light. But for night hunting they are hard to beat.

Same here. Only have one that sets on my night time hog gun, glad I have it too. But during the day? Naaaah

Look at the Muellers here ( www.JoeBobOutfitters.com ) Budget scope but NOT budget quality.

Chupa

I've got one scope with illumenated reticle and dont care that much for it, the intensity is adjustable(1-10) but you cant tell a lotta difference between them, and my problem is the light is almost to bright even when set on 1 so your have'n to try see thru the glare to aquire your target.(kinda like stand'n in the house a take'n a flashlight then shine'n it thru a unopened window to see outside)

But since its a lower end scope I assume a better scope will would have a better set up and mite not have this problem, if you can get the light turned low enuff so that it barley glows it can definately be a benefit dure'n dusk/dawn shoot'n I guess.

Just say'n.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Fox FireI've got one scope with illumenated reticle and dont care that much for it, the intensity is adjustable(1-10) but you cant tell a lotta difference between them, and my problem is the light is almost to bright even when set on 1 so your have'n to try see thru the glare to aquire your target.(kinda like stand'n in the house a take'n a flashlight then shine'n it thru a unopened window to see outside)

But since its a lower end scope I assume a better scope will would have a better set up and mite not have this problem, if you can get the light turned low enuff so that it barley glows it can definately be a benefit dure'n dusk/dawn shoot'n I guess.

Just say'n.

Doubt very seriously that you will experience that problem with the Muellers. I don't. And was shocked at how well it worked at night. Now, mine is the illuminated dot, so a full illuminated reticle might make a difference.

Chupa

I ordered a nitrex 3-15x50 illumintaed plex. It has a red dot so the whole reticle is not illuminated so I think it will work pretty good when I want to use it.
Hope so anyway!

The main strike against them is they seem to wash out your entire field of view if your not careful.. The critters can see the glow coming out the objective part of the lens when they are on so its easy for them to see the light if you are moving when they come in...Give it a shot you may like it....

I'm sorry Field Medic, but what you said ain't necessarily so. My Burris LRS II's have a dimmer switch, and no discernable light can be seen coming out of them when properly set. If you have that much light coming out, you won't be able to see the target on the other side of your reticle. Also, the amount of light from an illuminated reticle pales in comparison to the light coming out of my spotlight, so I wouldn't worry about it. I've shot yotes at night with regular scopes for years, but after using an illuminated reticle I'm never going back.

Kizmo
I can only speak of my own experience with illumination. The scope that I had, the entire Mil-dot lit up and then there was a selection for the color you prefer. I can see where the dimmer switch would be a must have! "nice option." I purchased mine quite a few yrs ago...boandme stated that the majority of his hunting will be done during daylight hours. If this is the case unless its a cloudy day or again depending on the conditions and brand scope, you may need to have the illumination set up on the high side to get any real advantage.. In regards to the coyote seeing the light I don't believe its the light that will scare or spook your animal its the movement of the light that's leaking from the objective of the scope. As you are calling and positioning at your hide you may have the added challenge of a light source moving around. Again I want to emphasis the word movement not just the light in general. This will obviously be magnified on night hunts.

Kizmo?? If you take the Burris LRS II off the gun, illuminate the scope and place it on the brightness or dimmest selection, the Burris doesn't allow any light to escape? Reason being is I was setting up my e-calls for a set and had my scope turned on.. After I returned and was getting all my stuff ready my dad was off to the side watching this.. Later on he commented to me about the light that was coming out the end of the scope. He didn't know that it was illuminated and couldn't figure out what the [beeep] was glowing on the end of my scope. Again movement of the light. The light alone not so much. I know they make ARD's that may remedy the situation... Let me know what you find if your interested.. I figured that all of the illuminated scopes performed this way.. I may be buying a Burris !!! That's the reason that I love this site.... Thanks for the time and the info!!!

tC

I have a Leupold 4.5 X 14 X 50 mm with the illuminated reticle,it is my favorite huntin scope by far. It only lights the very center of the crosshairs, & can be turned down to durn near nothin. I can totally recommend them.

Hey Field Medic,
From what I understand, the older Burris' only had a couple of brightness settings and wouldn't go low enough for night hunting. My Fullfield LRS II has a boatload of different brightness levels. Only the ballistic plex part of the crosshairs lights up, not the whole crosshair, so it's a larger illuminated area than a red dot, but not nearly as much area of light as the illuminated mil dot scopes I have seen. You can turn that sucker down so low it's hard to see it even in total darkness. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

This year I've been using a Millet TRS-1 with the green illuminated Mil-Dot Bar. It's got 8 or 10 brightess settings, plus an NV (night vision) setting. The NV setting is very dim, but shows up real nice at night when I've got my red shooting light on. No wash out at all on the NV setting. So far I'm very pleased with it!!

Back