Well, for mink the number one longspring would be fine, a 1 1/2 would be better though to provide weight for drowing sets. Drowing sets should be utilized for mink. Some trappers use up to a number 2 coil or longspring but for these larger sizes the catch is high and will dispatch mink. So a number 1 would be ok, lighter to tote and less expensive to lose to high water or trapline theives. My favorite foothold mink trap is a 1.5 coil/longspring though. Montana Hunter

Yeah, but I would stick with drowning sets if at all possible. A mink can rip up a set in a hury and even pull out of a #1 with relative ease. I'd use #1's in as many drowning sets as possible and 1 1/2 for dry sets. Plus, then you hold bigger critters that might come along - like coon etc.

The #1's should work fine,1 1/2 should work also,but I would keep them as a drowning set because the bigger size will be more apt to give you a wring off.A trap that works well for mink and the occasional coon is the #11,it's a #1 double long spring and they hold well.

Back