Coyotes are smellin my traps!!!

mtwood24

I have a few bobcat sets out, and they are in coyote country as well. on several occasions my trap has been swept off, and the bait taken. What am I doin wrong??? also, i think i am getting a little too much dirt under my pans. what are you guys doin to prevent this? are there any tricks to leaving a site scent-free?

ask some of the guys here...scent control doesn't matter
rolleyes.gif

It really could be anything. They may just recognize the set type if you are crowding your bobcats. Bobcats can be crowded but yotes for the most part can't.
You can try catching the coyotes in the areas you are having trouble. I would put in a coyote scent post set very near the cat sets you are having trouble with. Just urine and nothing else. When you squirt the urine on the backing let a few drops dribble over your covered trap.

That's what I would try first.

TS

A canine will be able to tell you were there, regardless of what we do, but just make your sets and stay away the best you can, (Check with Binocs, when you can).
Pan covers can be made from waxpaper, toilet paper, steel window screen, or you can buy the foam pads(underalls) that go under the pan.
I've went to using no pan covers this year, but only because I'm bedding my traps in Peat Moss, and they are adjusted to VERY LITTLE ENGAGEMENT on the dog and pan notch.

yeah i do beleive scent control is a buncha bs persoanly
you can take steps to minimize it but your not going to eliminate it......not only human scent did you fill your truck with with gas or diesel? do you have dogs? do you wear the same shoes daily that you put in sets with? did you know rubber has a odor as well as wax did you know wax holds odor?............it sounds like its a bedding problem if your traps moves ( if he hits the corner of the loose jaw and it rocks he is going to dig grey fox or coyote) if you have the issue of dirt or sand filling under the pan it will restrict it from fireing
.you mite try bedding your trap solid is what im getting at. many cats have been killed on exposed traps in ares like in my country why would you want a coyote plugging a $2-400 cat set? coyotes do get killed in them as well............you mite try guiding more or like toadstick suggested walk down and put in a couple flat sets blend them well bed the trap solid..........wouldnt be suprised if you nab a cat in one of them as well...........theres alot you can do with cats versus coyotes be creative and learn from the sitchuaiion at hand.
good luck

Last edited:
I am a total beginner in trapping. i have hunted and understand wildlife, but i am always listening to ways to improve my knowledge. to be honest, I just wanna catch something! haha I appreciate all help from you guys. Is cat lure a necessity for my sets? or is a wing sufficient? the one set that i am having the most trouble with is bedded well and doesn't rock, but the dang thing is uncovered most days! I really don't think it is the wind doin it, and i have heard that yotes are known to do that kind of thing. I do have some guide sticks that lead up into a cubby to a wing, and i have a stepover... should be ideal, but i must not be doin somethin right. this is the same set that i found bobcat tracks in my footprints about 15 yards from it, so I know one looked at it....

if your just after cats leave it uncoverd its no big deal
yes i personaly use a rub set with a good gland lure
one thign you got to understand about cats is theyre attention isnt held long the wing hanginf is a good flagging it will get hsi attention but you need a good lure smeard on a rock stump to keep is attention. step over sticks guides are good i cant use enuff of em for cats.......trick is put him in front of it put a good gland lure to make him work it
i use more thn one lure at a cat set alto fo times i want him focused on the lure and him to hit the pan

I agree with the scent control deal, it makes no diff. It helps to keep scent down but you can't do away with it. If they want it bad enough they come and get it.

To help with the dirt under the pan, use pan covers.. I recommend screen.

Last edited:
I was using a bird carcass on this set, and i found it down the hill a little ways and eaten on pretty good. we don't really have rats here, maybe mice...but i really don't think so. it won't be skunks right here either. but anyways I am always looking for trick and tips! thanks guys!

Originally Posted By: mtwood24I was using a bird carcass on this set, and i found it down the hill a little ways and eaten on pretty good. we don't really have rats here, maybe mice...but i really don't think so. it won't be skunks right here either. but anyways I am always looking for trick and tips! thanks guys!

sounds like bird of prey then make shore hes coverd and read your laws......

it was way back in a cubby of a rimrock... not exposed from above in any way.... I do believe that is the ruling...would a bird sweep my trap off like that?

Originally Posted By: PrairieMuffinI agree with the scent control deal, it makes no diff. It helps to keep scent down but you can't do away with it. If they want it bad enough they come and get it.

To help with the dirt under the pan, use pan covers.. I recommend screen.

You just contradicted yourself...either it makes no difference or it helps to keep it down which is it?

I have never said you can eliminate your scent but that you need to be careful how much you leave at the set. As little as practically possible.
TS

Someone else said it too... you can catch cats with uncovered traps especially in cubbies. Then yotes won't plug up your high paying cat sets like Chilson said.
TS

Back