bases and mounts for the savage axis

donlynch

i have a young friend who just purchased a savage edge/axis in 22-250 and i'm going to help him mount a scope. can anyone tell me what # weaver bases fit and what hight rings for a 44mm objective lens ? thanks
don lynch

Most of the Savage Axis's come with factory bases installed. Pretty sure the same bases that fit the Savage 110 will fit the Axis as well. If you're getting the Weaver rings it will probably take the 46mm objective height which I believe are 1". The Grand slam rings would be the same.

Seems like I tried a set of medium rings once on 44mm objective and they were not high enough, but too many moons have passed to remember for sure.

Last edited:
I have an Axis and I believe the Weaver bases were numbered 46. I had a Vortex Diamondback in 4-12x40 AO mounted on it and while I could mount the scope. I had to creep up on the gun and it wasn't comfortable. Especially with thick layers of clothes on.The scope didn't have enough room to adjust it.
I bought an EGW rail and also put a Vortex Viper 4-12x40 with side parallax adj. This scope is much longer and I could have most likely used the Weaver bases with this but the rail is a big improvement IMO over the Weavers.

Between the rail and the Rifle Basix trigger I could have bought a Savage with the Accutrigger or at least been real close.

But the gun is a shooter and I like it.:)

Back