Best Western State for an Eastern guy to go coyote hunting?

NY Yote hunter

I have lived in New York my whole life and next year I want to take a vacation out west just to go coyote hunting. The time of year I would be going would be in between Nov. and Jan. What would be the best Western state that I could go to that would be easy enough to buy an out of state hunting license and has plenty of public hunting lands so I would have an easy enough time finding places to hunt?

that do it yourself can be super unproductive and asking for lots of problems. i just got back from New Mexico on a hunt with Tony Tebbe and he takes you on one heck of a hunt. it's worth the extra dough.

Last edited:
Thanks for the plug Mike! Just to clarify what I offer: Although attendees (clients) do kill coyotes on the 2nd day of class, I offer up an instructional school, not a guided hunt. First day of class is all classroom. Second (and 3rd and 4th if the attendees wishes to book extra days) are spent in the field putting to use everything we covered on the first day of class. If all you are interested in is doing a bunch of killing and could care less about the learning, this trip isn't for you!!! 75% of the attendees from the past 5 classes were from east of the Mississippi and all have went back home and had success!! It's a very unique experience but it's not for everyone.

Geoff

If you plan to hunt the potentially snowy portions of the west do it in Nov. Weather can play such a role in success or failure. Any later in the year I would try for warmer areas.

Thanks Geoff I will have to check that out.

Ghilleidogger, thanks for the advice I would probally have to try for the warmer areas than because Nov. is our Deer season, and I can't see myself missing that. lol

AZ, Idaho, Eastern Washington, Eastern Oregon... heck any state out west will about do. For the cheapest route and alot of open country/public land I've heard alot of good things about Nevada. Haven't made it out there, but alot of people swear by it.

Originally Posted By: NY Yote hunterI have lived in New York my whole life and next year I want to take a vacation out west just to go coyote hunting. The time of year I would be going would be in between Nov. and Jan. What would be the best Western state that I could go to that would be easy enough to buy an out of state hunting license and has plenty of public hunting lands so I would have an easy enough time finding places to hunt?

If you can call up predators in the east, you will love the west. I'd try the public land and save my money. Also, you might ask TJ Shockler, Bruce Williams, and Seth Skinner their advice on where to hunt. You can see some of there threads on here.

Tony teaches while you hunt which is great. i'm no expert but i call up and kill my fair share in the east. I learned alot on my trip that will no doubt increase my success. i'm booking again in november it was so great. public land is doable but your probably gonna be callin the same spots everyone does. west or east an educated yote is an educated yote. and in the west if you don't know what your doin you can get stranded and in a mess pretty quick and easy.

Im a big supporter of sponsors on here, so I would check all of them out first. First guy that comes to mind is Tony Tebbe, very knowledgable, personable and makes some great calls as well.

Check them all out and do some research before you book. You'll have a great time with anyone here on PM.

I am def going to check out all the sponsors here before I make any decision. I want to make a decent vacation out of it (Havent been on one in 3 years) so I would want to hunt for a couple of days. Which could get pretty expensive with a guide. Cawilson, I would def not venture out in the west without some sort of GPS. I can't even imagine how wide open it is in the west...

Guided: Texas
Solo: New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada

Come to the PM hunt here in NM in February for a taste. If you decide on another time, I'm sure you can hook up with a member in most places. I'd show you around the southern NM deserts if you made it here.

Originally Posted By: D.R.T. OutdoorsAZ, Idaho, Eastern Washington, Eastern Oregon... heck any state out west will about do. For the cheapest route and alot of open country/public land I've heard alot of good things about Nevada. Haven't made it out there, but alot of people swear by it.

You nailed it. I live in NV and take my buddies from out of state coyote hunting (I've had more visitors since I moved to Vegas a year ago then I've had my entire life living in other states (CT, MA, AZ, NM)).

You DO NOT need a license to hunt Coyotes in NV and something like ~90% of NV is public land so you don't have to bake chickens and pass out business cards to people to try to get access to private land. You do however, need a trappers license to take bobcat and fox.

Another plus to NV…coyotes are everywhere (as they are in most states but FREE in this one)!!!

Cant go wrong with Tony as a guided hunt, he will bust his butt to show you a great hunt and you wont find a nicer guy that really knows his stuff.

Back