Tactical Night Vision

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1790567 - 01/11/11 01:57 PM Re: your opinions on poisoning coyotes [Re: GC]
300magman Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Not a fan of poisoning at all, it can severley hurt coyote numbers and hunting opportunity in an area. There was a cattle feed lot in one area that i hunt, and the owner was always complaining about coyotes around the feedlot (although in the 4 yrs I have been in the area, he has not lost one single animal to the 'yotes), but he would not, under any circumstances, allow hunting on the feedlot or surrounding property that he owns. He got the county to come in and poison the coyotes (a poisened cattle carcass), and as of 3 weeks ago, they have killed 32 comfirmed 'yotes, and likely more that they didn't find.

We went for a hunt on the surrounding properties over Christmas break, and did not call out or see one 'yote, this in an area that would usually produce 6-8 dogs on 4 good stands. We only saw ONE set of yote tracks in the surrounding 5 miles. We would have had no problem shooting out the majority of those dogs, but instead he decided to poisen the entire population of the area, and in turn wrecked a good hunting area for us. If the coyotes are becoming a serious problem (ie. killing livestock), then you may have to poisen them to protect your income, but at least let some hunters try to thin them out first, that way poisen might be able to be avoided.

#1790598 - 01/11/11 02:29 PM Re: your opinions on poisoning coyotes [Re: 300magman]
BAYSTATE YOTE Online
Die Hard Member III

Loc: MASSACHUSETTS
Well said,300 and G.C.!!! I have noticed that just some hunting pressure will push the coyotes away from the livestock.

#1790649 - 01/11/11 03:01 PM Re: your opinions on poisoning coyotes [Re: BAYSTATE YOTE]
Snowshoe Hunter Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: U.P., Mich.
It's sick behavior. Shoot or trap them, not poison.

#1790871 - 01/11/11 05:44 PM Re: your opinions on poisoning coyotes [Re: Snowshoe Hunter]
themoonsbluelight Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Maine, USA
Dusty, I am in Maine too. What area are ya?

#1790925 - 01/11/11 06:16 PM Re: your opinions on poisoning coyotes [Re: themoonsbluelight]
rockinbbar Offline
Retired PM Staff

Loc: NM
The only way any type of poison should be used is by the proper officials for the proper reasons.

There's laws and restrictions on that stuff for a reason. The birds falling from the sky may be one example of why things like that are so strictly regulated and severely enforced.

The USDA Wildlife Services guys that do occasionally use these methods are highly trained in their use, and are limited to the product and the scope. If the method and the poison are illegal, he should be turned in.

Barry

#1791067 - 01/11/11 07:39 PM Re: your opinions on poisoning coyotes [Re: rockinbbar]
Brownie Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Walla Walla, Washington, U,S,A
Is this particular guy a cattle,sheep or any other sort if domesticared animal rancher? If so that means his livelyhood depends on keeping th numbers in check. Maybe he needs to do it in a more profdesional manner but he has the right to protect his animals. If its some guy who does it. Just to up his odds around deer season then by all means turn him in but don't knock a man down for trying to make a living

#1791235 - 01/11/11 08:47 PM Re: your opinions on poisoning coyotes [Re: Brownie]
.223coyote Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Southeast Iowa
Packing peanuts are made of corn starch and would dissolve in the coyote's mouth or stomach. You can actually eat them yourself if you want to, but they don't taste very good.

#1791441 - 01/11/11 10:13 PM Re: your opinions on poisoning coyotes [Re: .223coyote]
doggin coyotes Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: .223coyote
Packing peanuts are made of corn starch

Some are and some aren't.

#1791468 - 01/11/11 10:26 PM Re: your opinions on poisoning coyotes [Re: doggin coyotes]
HPW Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Cheyenne, WY
I don't condone poisoning in any manner. It can't be targeted at a specific species. Any other animal can get into it with the same results. Eagle, bobcat, fox, dog, raccoon or even bear can get into them.

The govt trappers use the critter getters around here from time to time. i don't like it because my dog can get into one and have it go off in his mouth just the same as a coyote. For those of you not aware with what that is, it is a trap with a bit of fur on it that when pulled on it shoots a shell loaded with cyanide into there mouth. They put up flags on them to warn people, but flags can disappear too.

They don't work either. Last year Cmiddleton and I hunted right near one and we called in a coyote not 100 yards from it and shot him. When we went back to the truck there were new tracks right past the truck and the trap on his way to the call.

#1791477 - 01/11/11 10:31 PM Re: your opinions on poisoning coyotes [Re: rockinbbar]
muddydog Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Central Texas
Bullets or Broadheads only for me. I dont like poison

#1791512 - 01/11/11 10:50 PM Re: your opinions on poisoning coyotes [Re: muddydog]
Brian Stewart Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Saltville, Va
sounds to me like this guy needs a serious a$$ kicking to knock some sense in him you just don't do crap like that to animals. If it was me that knew he was doing it or attempting to do it I'd call the local officials and let them know first of all it is cruelty to animals even if he hasn't done it yet they might remind him of the punishment. If you are going to kill do it fast and humane and chose what you are killing.

#1791576 - 01/11/11 11:28 PM Re: your opinions on poisoning coyotes [Re: rockinbbar]
themoonsbluelight Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Maine, USA
agreed.

#1791644 - 01/12/11 12:17 AM Re: your opinions on poisoning coyotes [Re: HPW]
Chilson Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: ozona TX
Originally Posted By: HPW
I don't condone poisoning in any manner. It can't be targeted at a specific species. Any other animal can get into it with the same results. Eagle, bobcat, fox, dog, raccoon or even bear can get into them.

The govt trappers use the critter getters around here from time to time. i don't like it because my dog can get into one and have it go off in his mouth just the same as a coyote. For those of you not aware with what that is, it is a trap with a bit of fur on it that when pulled on it shoots a shell loaded with cyanide into there mouth. They put up flags on them to warn people, but flags can disappear too.

They don't work either. Last year Cmiddleton and I hunted right near one and we called in a coyote not 100 yards from it and shot him. When we went back to the truck there were new tracks right past the truck and the trap on his way to the call.

its called an m-44 nothign wrong with it either if you had any idea about the regulations involved with useing it. it is effective beleive it or not been around since the 30s now days theyre spring loaded used to pop the sodium cyanine capsule with a 38 round now days its not the case it is activated when the animal pulls on the lure applier to the wool and pops the cyanide capsule in there mouth. its not totaly effective and yes dogs get into them i persoanly beleive the foothold trap is more effective and with conjunction with calling can prevent predator/livestock conflicts as well as to solve........nothign wrong with poison done LEGALY AND RIGHT the use of m-44s and 1080 livestock protection callers
is trmendously useful and effective be against it all you like but it still doesnt sway the facts id rathe ruse the foothold or snares but m-44s 1080s and oter posions and delivery systems are effective but must be used correctly

as for claiming they domt wor given your sitchuation he may have passed because you were callign him in his mind was on getting to the sound and to eat it or fight it.......im shure you have had dry calling stands does that mean callign doesnt work?
no offence meant but lets be realistic here
with all due respect

Edited by Chilson (01/12/11 12:20 AM)

#1791743 - 01/12/11 02:49 AM Re: your opinions on poisoning coyotes [Re: Chilson]
jimmyg75 Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Minnesota
Hamburger with broken glass mixed in is what my parents neighbor use to kill them with... Pretty cruel I Think

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Redfrog 

Forum Stats
48205 Members
83 Forums
287363 Topics
2716858 Posts

Max Online: 3771 @ 02/03/14 09:55 PM
Today's Birthdays
191nt, Big City, Brad Kircher, brent thie, corymhoward, longshot7remmag, possumkiller, prairie ghost, SeanE, Yellowhammer

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.