your opinions on poisoning coyotes

yotehunter57

Just curious to your thoughts on this.
We have a guy here that in the past HAS admitted to "poisoning" coyotes when they really get thick.
I know the means doesn't really matter, but what he has done in the past was; after a farmer had fish fry, take the used cooking oil, pour it over styrofoam packing peanuts and pour them out in fencerows and such.
When they are really hungry in winter they ingest the styrofoam, and you can guess the rest.
He told me back before deer season, he might have to do this again, since they're getting a little thick.
What are your thoughts on this? If I can catch him, I know what I'll do. I've got others who don't like me, from working with the local game wardens to stop road hunting and spotlighting deer. One more won't make any difference to me.
This is because he is too lazy to hunt coyotes, and blames them for his poor deer hunting.
Yes, there are peeple like that still out there.

Shayne

There's a post about how many coyote in a population it takes to reduce there numbers and studies have shown that unless 75% of a given population (not considering neighboring populations) is killed, you aren't reducing their numbers. What he's doing probably isn't a legal form of poisoning, but ultimately isn't working. Coyote have survived all efforts for a very long time. And deer for that matter have survived the coyote. I would notify game wardens that it's going on and let them deal with it. Some people think their getting away with something and they aren't. I seriously doubt coyote are eating his flavored packing peanuts.

Last edited:
My poison of choice is lead, not styrofoam.
tt2.gif

Also, I think he's dreaming if he thinks that's going to kill a yote. Styrofoam is nontoxic, and is no more likely to lead to fatal intestinal obstruction than all the fur, bones, peanut hulls and other garbage a yote eats. As a matter of fact, it's probably good roughage for them, sort of like popcorn.

If its illegal then when he gets caught he will have to deal with it. IF its leagal to each ther own on how one decides to kill coyotes. Flying, trapping, baiting, snaring, calling, and even poison.

I had a guy that bragged about killing coyote by taking black foam pipe insulation, cutting it into 4 inch sections, then soaking them in a pan of bacon/sausage grease. He'd then take the sections and place them on the ground throughout his property. He swore that the coyotes ate them and that the strips of insulation clogged up their pipes to a point where they died of a digestive tract obstruction. I have no idea if he was telling the truth, but I can see how this would work.

I told him in no uncertain terms that I was opposed to this method on numerous accounts. (1) It's illegal (2) It's unsporting (3) It would just be a mean way to kill any animal (4) Every yote that is killed in this method is one less that I have an opportunity to call in (4) Other animals and even domesticated dogs are likely to be effected.

Last edited:
Poison is illegal here.
Kizmo, you are correct, it is the internal blockage that kills them. And also anybodys pets that happen by.
When times are hard they will eat them.
I didn't know what was going on the last time he did it. It was several years ago, but there was a drastic decline in coyote numbers for a couple of years.

Shayne

That's not poisoning, that's torturing.
Poisoning is torture also

Guy someplace around St Louis decided to poison coyotes a
few years ago. Got sent to prison when some eagles ate
some of the poisoned coyotes and they died also.

Poisoning is a slow and nasty way to die.

He sounds like the guy up the road from me, he is to lazy to do anything right, like truck huntin and i dont think he has bought a licence in years

Truthfully, I wish information like this were never posted.
What your friend is doing is indiscriminate, illegal and inhumane. Not knocking your friend, just his methods.
Kinda wish the first post was edited so the ANTI's couldn't see it.
JMO

I had a farmer tell me he puts fish hooks up about 4-0 and baits them!!I told him to let me take care of them,he is not a hunter so agreed.Why wont this guy let you harvest them??

Last edited:
Certainly unsportsman like, I'm sure there are situations where it may be warrented, but if we all made up our own game laws we'd end up with no game.

Originally Posted By: yotehunter57 Just curious to your thoughts on this.
We have a guy here that in the past HAS admitted to "poisoning" coyotes when they really get thick.
I know the means doesn't really matter,...

Well... the "means" do matter. If it is illegal then it matters a lot. Using poison is illegal for many reasons and they all count. This guy is a schmuck that needs an enlightenment session with the local law enforcement. He also needs an education about coyote reduction and reproduction, he may well be doing more harm than good anyway if he is seeking to reduce the population numbers long term.

Quote:Truthfully, I wish information like this were never posted.
What your friend is doing is indiscriminate, illegal and inhumane. Not knocking your friend, just his methods.
Kinda wish the first post was edited so the ANTI's couldn't see it.
JMO

The idea that the guy using poison is a true sportsman/hunter is false. He is not, he is a criminal - period. What the Anti's will read here is a bunch of real deal conservationist/sportsmen condemning the acts of a cruel criminal so as to protect and conserve wildlife. Once I overheard a conversation in which some non-hunters stated they wished the hunters would quit shooting the roadsigns near their country homes. I quickly informed them that those people who shot roadsigns were vandals, not hunters as there is no hunting season on roadsigns. I classed the vandals as criminals doing property damage and acting recklessly and true hunters would readily condemn those sorts of actions and did none of those things. It lead into a really good discussion in which I think I got my point across tactfully and hopefully those NON-hunters didn't become ANTI-hunters. There is an important difference.

Not a fan of poisoning at all, it can severley hurt coyote numbers and hunting opportunity in an area. There was a cattle feed lot in one area that i hunt, and the owner was always complaining about coyotes around the feedlot (although in the 4 yrs I have been in the area, he has not lost one single animal to the 'yotes), but he would not, under any circumstances, allow hunting on the feedlot or surrounding property that he owns. He got the county to come in and poison the coyotes (a poisened cattle carcass), and as of 3 weeks ago, they have killed 32 comfirmed 'yotes, and likely more that they didn't find.

We went for a hunt on the surrounding properties over Christmas break, and did not call out or see one 'yote, this in an area that would usually produce 6-8 dogs on 4 good stands. We only saw ONE set of yote tracks in the surrounding 5 miles. We would have had no problem shooting out the majority of those dogs, but instead he decided to poisen the entire population of the area, and in turn wrecked a good hunting area for us. If the coyotes are becoming a serious problem (ie. killing livestock), then you may have to poisen them to protect your income, but at least let some hunters try to thin them out first, that way poisen might be able to be avoided.

The only way any type of poison should be used is by the proper officials for the proper reasons.

There's laws and restrictions on that stuff for a reason. The birds falling from the sky may be one example of why things like that are so strictly regulated and severely enforced.

The USDA Wildlife Services guys that do occasionally use these methods are highly trained in their use, and are limited to the product and the scope. If the method and the poison are illegal, he should be turned in.

Barry

Back