Handi Rifle In .223 Caliber - What Ammo Seems To Group The Best ?

FredMcIntire

I have an H&R Handi Rifle in .223 Caliber coming in this week.

I know each gun is different; however, which ammo has given you

the best groups ?

Thanks !

mine likes black hills ammo 50gr vmax, and some win white box as well.

Head over to graybeards.com and ask in the H&R section, those folks will point you in the right direction.

Plus read the FAQ sticky great info for those cool little rifles, I own a bunch and love em all.

Good luck with it.

Dave

both the rossi and the H&R have a forearm stud. before you start shooting you can "free float' the barrel from this by putting an o-ring on that stud before installing the forearm. definitely tightened up the groups on the 22-250 I had.

I use one currently, and mine really likes the Fiochi 50 grain Vmax factory load. I got it at cabellas, topped it with a 4x12 Bushnell scope, and it tears 3/4" one ragged hole 5 shot groups off the bench at 100 yds.

I had one that would shoot a one-hole group one minute and move it the next time or shoot a wider group. I went through 1000 plus handloads and some factory and could never get it to shoot consistent groups. It especially hated the boattails, though.

I will never buy another one. There are too many great guns out there.

Originally Posted By: sbhooperI had one that would shoot a one-hole group one minute and move it the next time or shoot a wider group. I went through 1000 plus handloads and some factory and could never get it to shoot consistent groups. It especially hated the boattails, though.

I will never buy another one. There are too many great guns out there.

Ditto that! I had one in .223 that would never give a good account of itself and went through a similar number of loads, etc. Also have worked with another Handi .223 youth model and a .308 Handi. None would/will shoot. With what I spent on that rifle and components trying to make it shoot it was like buying a $550 dollar rifle and still not having it shoot. Once I dumped it I got a Tikka T3 Lite in .223 and it shoots everything good and a couple of things Great .

Not trying to be a smart a$$ here, but once you get that rifle, don't shoot it. that way you can sell it NIB and get the most for it.

you will have to find out, My Uncle Nicks Hadi 2233 likes 55 grainh ammo. My Dads Handi 223 hates em and likes 45 grain ammo. Aint tested 50 grain in dads yet.

t/c223encore.

i have one with 24inch heavy barrel. sohhts 55 grain horrible. Cheap 45 grain unc ammo less than 1 inch at 100 yards off of my bipod. Havent tried 40 grain vmax yet. alot of people say they arent shooters but i love mine. topped with a burris 3-9x40 and a 23 inch bipod and a cheap sling i have less than $600 in it.by the way 1 inch group is the best 3 round group i have ever shot in my life. my wife shot a 2 inch 3 round group with it the first time she ever shot it. my oldest son has decided this should be his gun.

I have one with the 22" heavy barrel. After many different factory loads the best I have found is Win supreme 50gr silver bt. 3/4" moa @ 100 yards

Back