Rock River Arms 2-stage trigger

Howard Nguyen

I need to do something with the factory trigger on my Colt. I look around and found the RR 2-stage for $100.

What is your experience wit this RR trigger? how good is it compared to the factory trigger?

Is there any required modification to the receiver to install it?

Thanks

The RRA trigger is a lot better than the factory trigger. No modification is required but with Colt you need to make sure what the pin size is. Colt made 2 different ones.

I have 2 and like them alot. Some people don't like a 2 stage trigger as they feel that the first stage is creep or something they are not used to. I Like the 2 stage trigger and have had no issues with either of mine. I have had many positive comments from people that have shot my rifles and commented on how good the trigger feels. For the money you can't go wrong and you would have to spend double or more to get something only slightly better.

The RRA 2-stage Match Trigger uses "Oversized" pins (.1555 rather than .154), so make sure to use the pins that come with the triggers. Generally speaking they will still function without the oversized pins, but ~1/3 of people might experience a problem, as they were designed with the .1555 in mind. This won't require any modification to your lower reciever, but may require a good tap with a rubber or brass mallet to get it in there.

They're a good trigger for the money, and really hard to beat. Some people knock on them from the "tactical" crowd but they're comparing apples and oranges. I wouldn't want a 2 stage trigger on a carbine rifle intended for close quarters.

We sell the 2-stage RRA trigger kits for $94.95 w/ free shipping which is one of the better deals out there. If you like a 2-stage trigger, they're great. We've sold a boatload of them for all types of uses, target and hunting, and haven't had anyone complain or try to return one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JoeBobOutfittersThe RRA 2-stage Match Trigger uses "Oversized" pins (.1555 rather than .154), so make sure to use the pins that come with the triggers. Generally speaking they will still function without the oversized pins, but ~1/3 of people might experience a problem, as they were designed with the .1555 in mind. This won't require any modification to your lower reciever, but may require a good tap with a rubber or brass mallet to get it in there.

They're a good trigger for the money, and really hard to beat. Some people knock on them from the "tactical" crowd but they're comparing apples and oranges. I wouldn't want a 2 stage trigger on a carbine rifle intended for close quarters.

We sell the 2-stage RRA trigger kits for $94.95 w/ free shipping which is one of the better deals out there. If you like a 2-stage trigger, they're great. We've sold a boatload of them for all types of uses, target and hunting, and haven't had anyone complain or try to return one.

I am going to install it on a stripped CMMG receiver, not the Colt, which has a horrible trigger but I am going to leave it as is since I do not intend to make it a hunting rifle and would rather leave it exactly as is....a pre-ban CAR.

Do you know if the CMMG receiver would have the correct hole size for the pin?

Originally Posted By: Howard NguyenOriginally Posted By: JoeBobOutfittersThe RRA 2-stage Match Trigger uses "Oversized" pins (.1555 rather than .154), so make sure to use the pins that come with the triggers. Generally speaking they will still function without the oversized pins, but ~1/3 of people might experience a problem, as they were designed with the .1555 in mind. This won't require any modification to your lower reciever, but may require a good tap with a rubber or brass mallet to get it in there.

I am going to install it on a stripped CMMG receiver, not the Colt, which has a horrible trigger but I am going to leave it as is since I do not intend to make it a hunting rifle and would rather leave it exactly as is....a pre-ban CAR.

Do you know if the CMMG receiver would have the correct hole size for the pin?

Yes, the standard hole pin size on the CMMG should be .154. These are obviously just a smidgen smaller than the slightly larger "oversized" pin size of .1555. Between myself/employees/local customers we've installed RRA 2 stage triggers in a DPMS, Spike's, Aero Precision, and a few other assorted brands of lowers in the last month or so. Just a good tap and they'll go right in. I'm assuming RRA saw in testing they would have to pick one pin size or the other for reliability of design so they decided to opt for the slightly larger pin size as it would work in 99% of applications other than the old .170 pin Colt lowers.

Originally Posted By: Howard NguyenI need to do something with the factory trigger on my Colt. I look around and found the RR 2-stage for $100.

What is your experience wit this RR trigger? how good is it compared to the factory trigger?

Is there any required modification to the receiver to install it?

Thanks
Pull the trigger and get it. Is way worth it to me to have a 2 stage trigger. It increased my groups probably better than I realize.

I put one on a hunting rifle(6mm WOA) that had a mil-spec
trigger, where I had swapped out the trigger and hammer springs
with JP 3.5 springs. When I replaced the mil-spec trigger with
the RRA NM 2 stage, I used the JP 3.5 springs, and that made a
VERY NICE 2 stage trigger. As is the RRA NM 2 stage is a
decent trigger, with the JP 3.5 springs it made it an
excellent trigger. I liked it so much I purchased a second
one, and with JP 3.5 Springs upgraded my 6.8mm SPC, too.
I will buy a Geissele eventually for one of my ARs, but
for now I am very happy with RRA NM 2 stage triggers with
JP springs.

Squeeze

Thanks for the tip on the springs. I have two RRA NM triggers and the one I installed myself is not nearly as nice as the one that came from the factory. I am thinking about trying to polish it up some. Anyone got any other tips on improving a NM trigger?

I replace the trigger and disconnector springs on the NM with the jp springs. But I don't replace the hammer spring, as I don't want to take a chance on light primer strikes. And in my tests, it didn't make a difference on pull weight.

The disconnector spring is a bit of a trick to replace, but can be done. You have to remove the little pin that holds it in place. But that is the key to me, because it controls the second stage pull.

I've only done 4 of my own this way, but so far it has worked great and been a big improvement over the standard NM trigger.

Originally Posted By: Squeeze
I put one on a hunting rifle(6mm WOA) that had a mil-spec
trigger, where I had swapped out the trigger and hammer springs
with JP 3.5 springs. When I replaced the mil-spec trigger with
the RRA NM 2 stage, I used the JP 3.5 springs, and that made a
VERY NICE 2 stage trigger. As is the RRA NM 2 stage is a
decent trigger, with the JP 3.5 springs it made it an
excellent trigger. I liked it so much I purchased a second
one, and with JP 3.5 Springs upgraded my 6.8mm SPC, too.
I will buy a Geissele eventually for one of my ARs, but
for now I am very happy with RRA NM 2 stage triggers with
JP springs.

Squeeze

Thanks for the tip. Where do you get the JP springs at?

Originally Posted By: Howard NguyenThanks for the tip. Where do you get the JP springs at?

We sell the Yellow-Reduced Power JP Springs as well. They're a pretty cheap upgrade to any trigger. If you only use 223 ammo and not mil-spec 5.56 with harder primers you probably won't have any soft primer hit issues with replacing the standard trigger springs with the reduced power. If you do, you can always swap back over to the standard power hammer spring.

Thanks, Joe. The JP spring is supposedly to produce 4.5 - 5 lbs trigger pull when used with standard trigger component. What would the trigger pull be if used with RRA 2-stage trigger?

Originally Posted By: Howard NguyenThanks, Joe. The JP spring is supposedly to produce 4.5 - 5 lbs trigger pull when used with standard trigger component. What would the trigger pull be if used with RRA 2-stage trigger?

Don't know for sure on that as I don't have a trigger pull gauge. It's on my "to get" list though. I'm sure someone else will chime in.

On my RRA Match trigger I modified the stock trigger spring and changed out the disconnector spring for the second stage pull. I am at 1lb 14 oz on the first stage and 8 ounces to break. I didn't change any angles and polished everything up.

Brad

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Howard NguyenThanks, Joe. The JP spring is supposedly to produce 4.5 - 5 lbs trigger pull when used with standard trigger component. What would the trigger pull be if used with RRA 2-stage trigger?

I have JP 3.5 springs(yellow) on two RRA NM two stage triggers
and one Armalite NM trigger. All three of them break between
3.2 and 3.4 on my gauge. Once the first stage travel is taken
up the break is surprisingly clean. I do polish and moly
grease the sear surfaces, so any travel is very smooth.

Squeeze

P.S. I have not had any problem with light primer strikes,
using the JP hammer springs. I don't use military surplus
ammo so there it may be an issue. I have 4 AR-15s set up
with JP springs(2-223/5.56, 1-6.8mm SPC, and 1-6mm WOA),
and have never not had a round go bang due to a light hammer
strike. I have a pile of hammer springs, to replace the
JP hammer spring if the SHTF and I have to scrounge and shoot
military ammo.
scared.gif

P.P.S. If one doesn't use the JP Hammer Spring, due to light
strike concerns, I wouldn't spend the money on the JP Spring
kit. There isn't much improvement with just replacing
the trigger and disconnector spring. The hammer spring puts
much of tension on the trigger sear, and trigger pull force
has to over come that tension and the spring tension of the
trigger spring. Lighten ALL of the springs will produce the
lightest trigger pull force. The national match hammers
seem to get good hammer strikes with the lighter springs.
A mil-spec hammer may be more likely to have issues, but the
mil-spec triggers I have worked with did not.

SqueezeP.P.S. If one doesn't use the JP Hammer Spring said:
Sorry, but gotta disagree with the hammer spring making the most difference. At least with the 4 I did, with my trigger pull gauge the hammer spring made no noticable difference either way. I was actually surprised it didn't make a difference.

The trigger spring makes the first stage about 1.5 pounds, and the disconnector spring can be trimmed to make the second stage whatever you want, I make mine another 1.25 pounds. In my testing I installed both hammer springs and tested the pull weight, and again my scale couldn't tell the difference. So I went with the heavier hammer spring to speed up the lock time.

I had no trouble with light primer strikes when I used the light spring either, but it seems like the potential could be there, and since there was no difference in pull weight, thought it only made sense to go with the heavier one.

I guess folks are going to have to check this one for themselves.
When I tried the mil-spec hammer spring versus the JP hammer
spring, my finger could tell the difference. The reduction
felt like 1 to 2 lbs. I never thought to to measure it. Next
time I have an AR-15 fire control group apart, I will repeat the
experiment. I am not sure how one could explain no increase
in force of pull for an increase in spring tension. But my
trigger finger could be lying to me.

Squeeze

I have two RRA 2 stage groups.

I have one on a hunting rig and another on my Colt 14.5" that is a personal protection set up.

I like them and have not had any issues with them. I have caught some trouble (in the form of suggestions) at two different carbine courses that a good single stage is better for a personal protection carbine. Again mine have never malfunctioned and that trigger in my Colt has over 7000 rounds on it.

I'm not saying a single stage wouldn't be better for a personal protection rig, I'm just saying my RRA 2 stage has done well for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: joshua79109I like them and have not had any issues with them. I have caught some trouble (in the form of suggestions) at two different carbine courses that a good single stage is better for a personal protection carbine. Again mine have never malfunctioned and that trigger in my Colt has over 7000 rounds on it.

I'm not saying a single stage wouldn't be better for a personal protection rig, I'm just saying my RRA 2 stage has done well for me.

Yep that's about the only crowd I hear really complain about them. It wouldn't be ideal, IMO, for that use either. We've sold quite a few Spike's Battle Trigger'sfor the more "tactical" crowd. It's cheaper, and better suited for that purpose definitely.

Back