Tikka T3 338 Win Mag Help

10Bears

I've got a T3 Lite in 338 Win Mag that I can't get to shoot. The best groups I can get are 1&1/2 inch with handloads. I have a Rem 700 s/s in 338 Win Mag that shoots great and have tried those loads in the Tikka but won't shoot either. If anyone has a Tikka in this caliber I'd like to know what loads you're using if you're getting good accuracy. I thought these Tikka's were supposed to shoot so great - I think I'll stick with my 700's. Thanks Dan

I have zero experiance with tikkas, but some magnums don't tighten up as much as other guns. Some rifle manufacturers specifically say that their accuracy gauruntee is only for non-magnum calibers. Why this happens, idk, but its not the first I have heard of that.

Is it a hunting gun? If so 1 1/2" is perfectly good for hunting, not all guns, and certainly even less shooters are capable of shooting MOA. (Im am in no way saying you are not, obviously because I don't even know you.lol)

Fin

Why is because magnums arent normally as easy to get to shoot as non mags, not to say they cant or wont, just typically harder. More powder you start stuffing in a case, the harmonics and pressure and barrel whip play a bigger role in finding the sweet spot. With that said, my dad has a t3 lite in 7 RM that shoots 1/2" with 150g NBTs/IMR4350 with the 2nd load tried in the rifle, its consistent to...Granted its not the 338, buts a t3 lite magnum.

Guess I could say the same thing about Savages that you say about Tikkas. I've bought 2 and shot a couple of them, and only did I buy them because of all the "rave" reviews that I mostly read on this site, but no thanks, none of em would consistetnly shoot for $hit so off they went, I'll stick to my 700s as well...

What bullets and powders have you tried so far?

Thanks killer, always like to learn new stuff. Im sure the OP does as well. By the way that dog in your avatar is a beaut
smile.gif

For a 338WM that is not bad. I would be satisfied with that.

What makes it harder to shoot small groups with the bigger rounds is the recoil. Discounting the recoils effect on the shooter,(big discount!) it is harder to make the rifle recoil the same for every shot. Heavy recoil just does not ride the bags as well.

Jack

I've got the trigger adjusted down to 2 lbs, all screws are tight, copper fouling has been cleaned. I've tried Nosler 200gr AB, Nosler 210gr Partition, Sierra 215gr SPBT, Speer 225gr SPBT with IMR 4350, IMR 4831, RE-22. I still haven't tried any 250gr bullets yet. She kicks pretty good but I don't think it's as bad as my 300 Wby. I wanted it for a lighter elk rifle for carrying.

I bought a 300wsm this fall and couldn't get it to shoot better than 1.5" also. I contacted Beretta and sent it back for them to check it out. I have 2 other tikkas in different cals that shoot 1/2 moa or better. I would send it back to Beretta.

I gotta say, this is the first time I have heard of a Tikka not grouping under an inch. If you're going to fault a company for one bad rifle you got.......you might want to reconsider stick with the 700's at this point...do a quick search and see how many in the last month have had extractor issues.

Are you using the factory, aluminum rings that came with the rifle? If so, you might try changing them out to something more robust, especially in 338wm.

Well from the sounds of things, all else being equal, good shooter, solid rest, everythings tight, good loading procedure, you've tried various bullets/weights of known accuracy, as well as powders. Ya just mighta got a bad one, happens time to time with every manufacturer, just sucks when it happens to be you at the time.

Id call Tikka or Beretta or whoever you need to call and tell em your story. They'll probly tell you to buy a box of premium ammo and see how it shoots since rifle manufactures advise the use of handloaded ammo since they have no knowledge of how and what your doing. Have you tried that yet by chance? I'd hate to do it personally, waste $50 on a box of shells to shoot a couple groups is ridickulous if you ask me...

BTW, I'm well aware of Rems problems lately, but they seem to be more associated with the cheaper ADL/SPS line of 700s which I do not care for or buy anyways.

Ya Kyote I was thinking of trying some factory loads next. I wish I could find out what kind of factory ammo they test it with. Probably the Sako stuff they make but I'm sure you can't buy it in this country. the barrel came floated and wind is not a factor since I am shooting in a 100 yd underground tunnel. I have to say that my Rem 700 338 was a little picky but once I found the right bullet/powder combo to stabalize I found 2 handloads that will shoot 0.5 inch groups. I tried factory loads at 1st in it and they would'nt shoot better than 3 inch groups. I was hoping somebody had a T3 in 338 on this board they got to shoot good with either factory ammo or handloads.

Originally Posted By: RedgeI bought a 300wsm this fall and couldn't get it to shoot better than 1.5" also. I contacted Beretta and sent it back for them to check it out. I have 2 other tikkas in different cals that shoot 1/2 moa or better. I would send it back to Beretta.

I have the same gun (.300 wsm) and it won't shoot any better than 1-1/2" as well. It's fine for a hunting gun but disappointing to me in being confident shooting past 300 yards as some of the groups are sporadic. Have any of you seen the Tikka recoil block design (not be confused in calling it a lug).....kind of a joke for the larger calibers (especially magnums) in my opinion. The block fits into the wood stock or plastic and bottoms out. There is a groove in the action receiver that the block then fits into when the action/barrel is installed. Over time, that block gets it's arse handed to it because of the slop on each side of the block and the action receiver (mine has 0.010" - ten thou). My wife bought me this gun so selling it is NOT an option as she always asked if I'm taking that one to the range when I head out. So, it may go in a bedded McMillian as they are now making a T3 lite stock.

I've had many different powders and bullet combos down this with about 200 logged shots to date. It does the same with factory. It's terrible off a lead sled which tells me the gun can not with stand heavy recoil due to it's poor design for a magnum caliber. I shoot it much better off the bags and absorb the recoil for the gun as it doesn't mess with the recoil/action block that much.

Last time out with it I was running 165 accubonds and RL-19 with okay results. I had one 5 shot group with 3 right near each other and the other 2 directly off to the left, so maybe that was me for this load. I'm not done yet so I'll still put some more through the bore before re-stocking. However, my POI will all of a sudden shift for what I believe to be that dam action block.

I will end that I have a T3 Varmint in .223 and it one holes. If you go Tikka, stick to the less aggressive calibers. I know that doesn't help the OP but maybe you didn't look under the stock to see how the gun is put together yet?

BB - I did take it apart to adjust the trigger and saw what you are talking about. It is a pretty cheesy bedding system. Maybe that's the problem with these magnums in the T3. Do you think it's possible for a good gun smith to do a bedding job on it?

BBsteel, we bought 3 of those 300 wsm's all at the same time, 2 were shooters and the one I got won't shoot a good group. I tried 4 kinds of ammo (commercial) and handloads which I prefer. Never could get it to shoot less than 1.5". I guess luck of the draw, I picked the box that has a problem!

10bears, I would really try to send it back to them and let them deal with it.

Originally Posted By: RedgeBBsteel, we bought 3 of those 300 wsm's all at the same time, 2 were shooters and the one I got won't shoot a good group. I tried 4 kinds of ammo (commercial) and handloads which I prefer. Never could get it to shoot less than 1.5". I guess luck of the draw, I picked the box that has a problem!

10bears, I would really try to send it back to them and let them deal with it.

That's great info, thanks. Mine will be shipped back.

Update - The bedding system on the T3 Lite is pure crap. It might work ok on the varmint calibers but not on the mags. I took it to my gun smith and he bedded it and "stiffened" up the forearm. What a difference that made. It shrunk from 1.5 inch groups to 5/8 inch groups. You guys that are having trouble with your T3's in 300 WSM should give it a try it really helped my rifle. Dan

Originally Posted By: 10BearsUpdate - The bedding system on the T3 Lite is pure crap. It might work ok on the varmint calibers but not on the mags. I took it to my gun smith and he bedded it and "stiffened" up the forearm. What a difference that made. It shrunk from 1.5 inch groups to 5/8 inch groups. You guys that are having trouble with your T3's in 300 WSM should give it a try it really helped my rifle. Dan

If not to much trouble could u post a pic of the bedding job?

Thanks,Al

Back