HOW COLD IS TO COLD FOR COYOTES?

RCL

Heading out in the morning to do some calling but it's supposed to be -7 tonight, with a high of 7 tomorrow. do the dogs respond well in that temp or do they stay held up.

dogs or coyotes?

Coldest I've hunted coyotes was -40WC
Seen quite afew over the yrs on well below zero days. If the [snow is blowing], most will hole-up in either [hard shelter] or hunker down in a wind brake area.

Went out Sunday here and it was -14 in the morning and by the time I had made some stands and called in three the temperature was just around 0. Didn't affect them at all.
thumbup1.gif

FINNISHem

thanks for all the imput, just never called in those temps, didnt know what to expect, let ya know tomorrow how it was.

I was out this weekend both days and it was in the single digits with below 0 windchills. Got some to come in saturday to the call but it was snowing pretty good and a little more wind sunday and I didnt have any luck. Im not saying it was the weather that kept them from coming in but I had to wonder to myself if they were staying low due to weather.
Wish I knew!!

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeNever to cold.
Got that right. I've hunted in -20 weather and they will come on the run. The energy requirements go up sharply in very cold temps.

Around here, I think the cold does affect night movement. I've never seen a predator when it's below 28 degrees at night, and yes, I've been out there when it's that cold quite a bit. Daytime is another matter.

Last edited:
The colder the better, they need to eat to create energy to stay warm, the colder it is the hungrier they are. You just need to stay warm so you don't make mistakes.

IMHO I have seen a lot of yotes when its been cold. They seem to respond better in the cold, especially if several days in a row it has been cold. Meaning below zero in my area. I have noted though they appear less vocal at these times, but respond well to distress calls.

Cold is a relative term, 30 degrees in the south and if our 'northern Canadian' friends answer probably -30 degrees.
Just my $.02.

Originally Posted By: Silent HunterCold is a relative term, 30 degrees in the south and if our 'northern Canadian' friends answer probably -30 degrees.
Just my $.02.

I think you hit the nail on the head. It doesn't get below 28 down here very much, and it doesn't stay there for long when it does, usually just a matter of hours. I have walked up on rabbits at night when it's that cold that I could have stepped on. I think the predators don't move because the prey isn't moving. I believe they both instinctively know it'll be warmer in the morning, and they wait until then to move and hunt.

i think its more or less changes in weather patterns to watch out for. it agreed that they have to eat to stay warm, but they will ignore some calls if it is going to take more energy than potential gain to catch it. Ex. If there are rabbits around they are going to be less likely to travel for mousing perposes.

-64* wind chill
-27*,That's what it was yesterday hunting.
Today it's -33* and the boy is out again. Yesterday he got one , today the sun is out who knows...

Ive done better with temps in the 0-20 range than negatives. A lot of it is from not being able to stay on stand as long. I really think when its super cold -15 or below they hole up for a time. So as this weather breaks Im going out. They will really be moving then.

Back