Kansas illegal hunters!!!!!!

Here in Oregon they shoot yotes from air planes and helicopters for predator control.

They are not considered game animals here in Oregon. Are they considered game animals in Kansas? If not why all the fuss If it is legal to shoot yotes from a moving vehicle. If it is not legal then it aint right and they should be prosecuted to the full extant of the law.

DAB

Originally Posted By: Passmorehydrology joe i just called and they quoted to me word for word KAR 115-5-1(c)(7) just like you guys said and they also told me it says nothing about firearms being legal unless you have a permit! also called my neighbor, he says feel free to shoot from your vehicle he will be happy to issue you a ticket and prove to you what the law states....also said your ticket will be $500 plus $90 court costs. so have fun

Passmore,
According to Marilyn Alberg, KDWP LE Division, Pratt, it is legal to shoot coyotes from a vehicle as long as you have permission from the landowner to hunt. nmleon also verified with Mark Rankin that is legal to shoot coyotes from inside of the vehicle. That information has been obtained directly from the "horses mouth" so to speak. Please let us know which office and officer you have been getting your information from so we can reconcile their interpretation with the staff in the Pratt office.

I realize this is a contentious issue and many do not agree with the practice. However, I feel it is imperitive that the correct information is posted here so those who disagree with our sport do not use it against us.

This is direct from the Kansas Dept of Wildlife and Parks
website

115-5-1. Furbearers and coyotes; legal equipment, taking methods, and general provisions.

(a) Hunting equipment permitted during furbearer hunting seasons and during coyote hunting

seasons shall consist of the following:

(1) Firearms, except fully automatic firearms;

(2) archery equipment; and

(3) crossbows; and

(4) optical scopes or sights that project no visible light toward the target and do not

electronically amplify visible or infrared light.

(b) Trapping equipment permitted during furbearer and coyote trapping seasons shall

consist of the following:

(1) Foothold traps;

(2) body-gripping traps;

(3) box traps;

(4) live traps;

(5) snares; and

(6) dead falls deadfalls.

(c) The following general provisions shall apply to the taking of furbearers and coyotes:

(1) Calls may be used in the taking of furbearers and coyotes.

K.A.R. 115-5-1

Page 2

(2) Handheld, battery-powered flashlights, hat lamps, and handheld lanterns may be used

while trapping furbearers or coyotes or while running furbearers.

(3) .22 caliber rimfire rifles and handguns may be used to take trapped furbearers or

trapped coyotes when using a light to check traps.

(4) .22 caliber rimfire rifles and handguns may be used while using a handheld, battery-

powered flashlight, hat lamp, or handheld lantern to take furbearers treed with the aid of dogs.

(5) Lures, baits, and decoys may be used in the taking of furbearers and coyotes.

(6) The use of horses and mules shall be permitted while hunting, trapping, or running

furbearers and coyotes.

(7) The use of motor vehicles for taking coyotes shall be permitted while hunting coyotes.

(8) The use of radios in land or water vehicles shall be permitted for the taking of coyotes.

(9) The use of dogs for hunting and during running seasons shall be permitted.

(10) Any conibear-type, body-gripping trap with a jawspread of eight inches or greater

shall be used only in a water set.

(11) Only landowners or tenants of land immediately adjacent to the right-of-way of a

public road, or their immediate family members or authorized agents, may set slide-locking wire

K.A.R. 115-5-1

Page 3

or snare-type cable traps as dryland sets within five feet of a fence bordering a public road or

within 50 feet of the outside edge of the surface of a public road. Only these landowners or

tenants, or their immediate family members or authorized agents, may possess the fur, pelt, skin,

or carcass of any furbearer or coyote removed from these devices located within these specified

limits.

(12) A person shall not have in possession any equipment specified in subsection (a)

while pursuing or chasing furbearers with hounds during the running season.

(13) All trapping devices included in subsection (b) shall be tagged with the user's name

and address and shall be tended and inspected at least once every calendar day. (Authorized by

K.S.A. 32-807; implementing K.S.A. 32-807, K.S.A. 32-1002, and K.S.A. 32-1003; effective

March 19, 1990; amended Nov. 15, 1993; amended July 19, 2002; amended P-_____________.)

Quote:(7) The use of motor vehicles for taking coyotes shall be permitted while hunting coyotes.

Thinking out loud here, so don't crucify me...

The section of code above, doesn't specifically state that you can shoot from that vehicle... Does the law then imply that you can run them down with a motor-vehicle?

For instance, in ND the law specifically states that you can NOT chase wildlife, coyotes included, with snowmobiles or other motor-vehicles.

Hey guys the law in Ks is you can shoot a coyote from a vehicle on a public road if you have permission from both sides of the road.Just wanted to clear things up.You can also run pastures with permission of landowner and shoot from a motorized vehicle(4wheelers,side by sides and also boats)not saying i like it but it is legal.This only applies to coyotes.

Originally Posted By: Rocky1Quote:(7) The use of motor vehicles for taking coyotes shall be permitted while hunting coyotes.

Thinking out loud here, so don't crucify me...

The section of code above, doesn't specifically state that you can shoot from that vehicle... Does the law then imply that you can run them down with a motor-vehicle?

For instance, in ND the law specifically states that you can NOT chase wildlife, coyotes included, with snowmobiles or other motor-vehicles.

More from the Kansas regulations

ILLEGAL PURSUIT

No game or furbearer may be shot at, killed, or pursued from aircraft, motor car, motor boat, or other vehicle. (Exceptions include hunting with a Disability permit, hunting waterfowl from a stationary boat, and hunting coyotes.) Use of artificial light is illegal except as outlined HERE .

It is illegal to locate or give information concerning the location of game animals by radio or other mechanical means, except for coyotes, as outlined HERE .

No wild gamebird (except turkey) may be shot at unless that bird is in flight. Turkeys may be shot on the ground or in flight, but not while sitting in trees.

Originally Posted By: lancebHey guys the law in Ks is you can shoot a coyote from a vehicle on a public road if you have permission from both sides of the road.Just wanted to clear things up.You can also run pastures with permission of landowner and shoot from a motorized vehicle(4wheelers,side by sides and also boats)not saying i like it but it is legal.This only applies to coyotes.

there you go... coyotes are not furbearers.... not big game... all a guy needs is a hunting lic...open 365 days a yr... if you plan on selling them a furharvester lic is needed...

Bob, I'm going to differ with you on one item...
Unless the regulation was changed this year, to sell a coyote pelt all that's needed is the same basic hunting license that's required to hunt them, because as you correctly state, "are not a furbearer or game animal in Kansas.
Hope I didn't step too hard on your toes. Just wanted to get us all on the same page.

Hey everyone....lighten up & go have some fun hunting, PLEASE!

you guys are correct. got home from work and had 2 voicemails and 4 emails from the Emporia office as well as my neighbor stating that there was a statute put in specifically for hunting coyotes. just was telling you what i was told, dont shoot the messenger or anyone else while youre are road hunting for that matter. ask the family of Beau Arndt how that goes with guys "hunting" coyotes from the road

Passmore,
No offense taken by me, from you or anyone else's posts.
cool.gif

And to your point about the "road hunting"...
This is why we (Dad & I) NEVER shot a coyote from the road, UNLESS THAT COYOTE WAS 30-40 YARDS FROM OUR TRUCK, & THE SHOOTING AREA WAS CLEAR.
Granted, some folks will still find fault with that.
However, there was never a question of what I was shooting at.
And we always had the proper permissions.
smile.gif

Just like the facts that we...
never left gates open that were previously closed;
never hunted a pasture if it had cattle in it;
never drove across drilled fields or left ruts (if it was muddy we stayed home);
wink.gif

never littered (the Ithaca had bottom eject, & I ejected spent shells into my hand);
cool.gif

or did anything else that would be against the law.
cool.gif

Just sayin'...

If anyone ever would like to have a calm, rational conversation about the pros/cons between...
...using calls VS using trucks & greyhounds VS using trucks & shotguns...
...feel free to send me a message.
I have done all the above, & can see all points of view. I'm not a closed-minded robot.
smile.gif

I will not argue or debate any of the mentioned issues.
crazy.gif

However, I can relate facts & experiences.
grin.gif

canis,
i wasnt trying to step on anybodys toes nor point fingers. About the law i was just relaying what i was told from KDWP up until 430 this afternoon and as far as people hunting that way or any way im just asking be careful. i too have shot coyotes from the truck on our ranch/farm in our pastures and on roads near our house. im not sying dont do it and thats my fault if thats how it came off. i hope everyone hunts, enjoys it, and is safe regardless what means they choose. Beau was shot 30 yards from the road in his goose blind by a guy from Topeka who was "shooting at a coyote".
anyhow be safe and happy hunting

Originally Posted By: emeraldterriers1
there you go... coyotes are not furbearers.... not big game... all a guy needs is a hunting lic...open 365 days a yr... if you plan on selling them a furharvester lic is needed...

Uhmmmm... Yes and No! It would seem that it depends upon the method used to take them according to the law.

Originally Posted By: KDWP FURHARVESTER LICENSE

A furharvester license is required to hunt, trap, or pursue (run) furbearers, or to sell their pelts. A furharvester license is required to trap coyotes, and a hunting license is required to hunt them. The same license required to take coyotes is required to sell their pelts. Unlicensed, non-participating observers may accompany a licensed furharvester but may not assist in carrying or using equipment, controlling dogs, or otherwise assisting with furharvesting activities.

Persons under 16 years old may purchase a junior furharvester license at half price.

Since yotes aren't considered fur bearers, they are excluded from the opening line therein.

According to the second line, if one is TRAPPING coyotes, you would be required a Fur Harvester License to sell them. However, that would not appear to be the case if hunting them. You would only be required to possess a hunting license to sell them, according to the third line of that statement.

You guys might want to call KDWP for clarification on that one too, but that's what I make of their translation of code in that statement.

Quote:Beau was shot 30 yards from the road in his goose blind by a guy from Topeka who was "shooting at a coyote".
I seem to recall that the shot was closer to 150 yards by someone using a rifle to shoot at goose decoys that they thought were actual geese!!

Maybe I stand corrected... but I'd still clarify or simply buy the Fur Harvester License.

Originally Posted By: KDWP Coyotes Hunting & Trapping

Season Dates (statewide): All year

Possession Limit: No limit.

No closed season for trapping or hunting coyotes. Motor vehicles and radios in vehicles may be used to hunt coyotes only. Furharvester license required to trap and sell; hunting license required to hunt.

Hunting in this statement does not suggest selling.

well songdog,
that is what the guy said in his plea agreement was that it was a coyote. Bob (his dad) is a good friend of my parents and i doubt they would lie to me. besides the point was that there was some irresponsible jack*** shooting from the road and killed a kid

It is real sad it takes this much effort to decipher the regulations. I have called a lot to clarify things I didn't fill clear on. I have always thought taking a boat down a river and calling before it froze up might work. Might have to try it. Thanks to those of you who took the effort to clarify.

Last edited:
WWJ a boat is legal if your hunting a public or core lake ground if your on the river you have to have permission to be on the land you shoot on.And you can have the motor on and in the water.A fur licese is required to trap and sell coyotes or any other fur.A hunting license is required to hunt and sell coyotes only.

Back