Glass Bedding

Hoskins

I don't think that there is a gunsmith type board on here and if there is I apologize. As you can see by my number of posts...I'm new here.

Has anyone ever glass bedded thier own rifle? I plan to glass bed my Winchester Model 70 7mm Rem Mag and want to get some helpful hints that might help me out. I've done my research, watched videos, read instructions, etc... I'm still building up my confidence to execute the plan. I've already modified the stock by clearing out the barrel channel & free floating the barrel, next step is to glass bed it, and then I will be painting and sealing it next.

I was thinking about pillar bedding the rifle but I don't have the appropriate tolls to take on that task and am not going to wing it w/ a hand drill. Addtionally I've heard that it isn't really neceassary to pillar bed if you glass bed...any thoughts on that one as well?

Thanks in advance for all who decides to throw out some advice.

Respectfully;
Staff Sergeant Hoskins

I wish you luck with the bedding as it really isn't some kind of magical thing, especially with all the videos and books available.

Out of the rifles I've owned 3 are wooden stocked and have been glass bedded. The accuracy is amazing and I see no reason why I would want to pillar bed them. If it works do mess with it. The synthetic stocked rifles I own are all pillar bedded, they are no better accuracy-wise then my wooden stocked rifles from my observations.

I have done several glass bedding jobs. Myself I like to use hollow out the area around the tang and recoil lug and make pillars with glass bedding compound. It isn't that hard to do depending on the brand of rifle. One thing that I recommend is using a somewhat thick consistency bedding material. The runny stuff works great but takes more practice. I use devcon plastic steel for most of my jobs but have done my own rifles with JB weld and it works great as well. Acraglas is another that works good but it is somewhat runny. Make sure to tape off anything you don't want bedding compound on. Don't be afraid to use plenty of release agent, there are lots on the market I use floor wax works great. You tube has some good videos to watch. It is a satisfying job to do yourself, good luck.

As was mentioned, masking tape on any part of the rifle that the bedding even might leak out on. It's a lot easier to just pull the tape off with the bedding on the outside than to clean the bedding off the finished stock.
I also use Johnson's paste wax as a release agent. It works great and a can will last a long, long time. If you don't get it every where needed make sure that you know which friend has the biggest deep freeze and the most understanding wife. Drop the rifle in the deep freeze for about 2 days. That should loosen things up.

I wouldn't try to make my own pillars without something more than just hand tools.

You can however buy already made pillars and install them yourself. Pretty easy to do while you're doing the bedding. I like the ones from here. They are a little expensive the first time (you get the tools to set the length on them) but they are very high quality and I've never had to do any fitting on them other than just adjusting the length.

Good to go brother...or if you are of a higher rank "Sir" -or- appropriate rank inserted here _______.

I'm in the process of PCA orders but will give you a shout when I log into my .mil

Last edited:
I'd strongly recommend you guys edit out your e-mail addys. Not a good idea to post them in public, especially with .mil addys. Lots of whackos out there who can see your post even if they aren't members.

Better to use private messages for that.

I've done a handful myself.

Best tip ever: use and apply as much release agent as possible. Even if you think you won't get any bedding compound on the area, apply release agent. Better be safe then sorry.

Here's a few I've done and took pics of.

DSCI008uu60.jpg

DSCI0063.jpg

Anymore, just a little "dab" in the recoil lug is all that I'm doing for now on. Works just as good as my other bedding jobs, but only takes a few minutes.

DSCI0007-2.jpg

I have done 3 rifles with the brownells glass bed kit and it is not that hard to do. I did a stainless .17 remington in a synthetic stock a couple weeks back and when I opened the kit the brownells epoxy had all ready set up some how , it was an unopened box so I don't know what happened. so I looked around the shop and I found a couple packs of JB WELD and said whatn the heck, it was about the same color as the stock and I had the black die from the Brownells kit along with the blue release agent. well let me tell youit worked great and my rifle makes little bity small groups with 30 gr. berger bullets going 3800 fps I am pleased

Originally Posted By: hawgmasterI have done 3 rifles with the brownells glass bed kit and it is not that hard to do. I did a stainless .17 remington in a synthetic stock a couple weeks back and when I opened the kit the brownells epoxy had all ready set up some how , it was an unopened box so I don't know what happened. so I looked around the shop and I found a couple packs of JB WELD and said whatn the heck, it was about the same color as the stock and I had the black die from the Brownells kit along with the blue release agent. well let me tell youit worked great and my rifle makes little bity small groups with 30 gr. berger bullets going 3800 fps I am pleased

You got it the JB weld works as well as most bedding compound in my book.

Back