The best coyote load for 6.5x284?

montana pale

I was just wondering what some of u guys thought was the best coyote load for the 6.5x284? Got my savage 111 long range and havent got to take it coyote hunting yet and would love to.

I am assuming you are wanting to shoot long range yotes. Get a good load for 139/142 class of bullets. Try H4350 or H4831SC either of those should do well in that rifle. Velocities should run 2950 to 3050 fps. Another bullet that would do well for long range yotes is the 123 gr bullet by Lapua or Sierra, again with H4350. If you are talking shorter ranges I would have to try the 100 gr. Nosler B.T. It will not be fur friendly at the velocities the 6.5 X 284 is capable of.

PaPa 260

First let me say you need to tell the story on the deer in your avatar. Second you be sure to give an update on that new Savage, I have been eye balling that particular gun for awhile in that caliber.

Depending on range Id go with the 95g vmax or 100g nbt's out to 600 yards. Past that it would be wise to go with a higher weight/BC bullet. I'd go with a 120g nbt, 123g amax, 129g sst, 130g AB, 130g vld, 140g amax, or 140g vld. All of those bullets are good LR bullets that will open up at LR and leave good wound channels. Lapua scenars are not good hunting target bullets, I wouldn't recomend them for hunting coyotes as they only poke little holes in and out.

I"ve got a 264 WM that I"m using right now with 95g vmaxs at 3500fps on coyotes. Shot 3 with it so far, longest being 450 with no complaints. They'll do the job pretty easily out to 600, but I"m going to switch to one of the other above heavier weights for out to 1K due to wind drift.

Let us know how that rifle does. My dad is also interested in that same rifle/caliber platform for LR coyotes/antelope/deer.

Originally Posted By: RubenatorFirst let me say you need to tell the story on the deer in your avatar.

That's not a Deer,,, it's a Red Caribooselk.
laugh.gif

I picked up the same rifle last summer. Try a 140gr A-Max with H4831. For big game, try a 140gr Accubond with the same powder. I have another 6.5x284, I think this Savage is a better rifle.

so far i like the rifle it shoots very well with the 140 accubonds and ramshot hunter powder. but i have only shot it 20 times and half are sight in and the other is rock hunting i do a lot of that. i will let u guys know more on how it shoots when the blizzard is past.

i have two, both remington/krieger. one weighs 15#. one is a sendero weight(8.6) i use 139 and 123 scenars for matches and 120 baltip for hunting. i have not shot a coyote with either yet. i use mrp-2 . when i run out of it; i am going to h-4350. i have used br-2, 210m, wlr and wlrm primers. lapua brass.

took the savage out today and shot out to 450 yards and with the 100 nos bt it shot really well. the rock was about 8 in big hit her nine out of ten times, dad on the other hand hit ten out of ten. useing ramshot hunter like it alot.

Back