New Rem. 700 chewing up case rims, hard to chamber

schlaggerman

Just received a new Rem 700 XCR Compact in .223 and I have extreme difficulty chambering a round. Took the first rifle back and they gave me a different rifle, same problem with the new one. I've noticed the rim of the case looks like the guns bolt is shaving off brass from the cartridge's rim as you turn the bolt handle down, making it extremely hard to chamber a round. The shaved area on the cartridge rim seems to be about the same length as the width of the extractor. Is the extractor spring too stiff? Is the extractor not under cut enough? Or, is the ejector spring too stiff causing undo pressure on the extractor? Any suggestions. Really don't want to send the rifle back to Remington right now as I wouldn't get it back until after coyote season. Can a gunsmith make a simple adjustment?

Id take this rifle back and get something else. Then you dont have to worry about sending to Remington and you can still have a functional rifle for yote season.

Wow, I cant beleive all the problems we are reading about the new Rem 700. I have been a lifetime fan of the 700 and owned a bunch over the years but I will not buy another one. Looks like its going to be Savage and Howa for me now.

Originally Posted By: warpig602Id take this rifle back and get something else. Then you dont have to worry about sending to Remington and you can still have a functional rifle for yote season.

Do yourself a favor and take it back . If you're having this much trouble just chambering a round it's probabally just the begining.
I'd follow the advice you got and find a Savage or Howa and go hunting.

Mike

I'll still buy Remmys, but I have to admit, my expectations aren't to high these days so I pretty much look at the new ones as a platform to build something on.. Seems like they've adopted the same "let the customer do the QC for ya and then brag about how great your Customer Service is" policies so common in today's market place. Sign of times I guess, but still a shame.

I've always liked tinkering with rifles so the plethora of after market parts and ease of accurizing makes em a good fit for me, but I'm finding it harder and harder to defend em.

Luck with your rifle.

Are these reloads or new brass. Too long? Rims too thick, Manufacture defect in the brass? I can see one being out of wack, but two in a row.

It appears that Remington had a bad batch of extractors that are too wide. Why they didn't catch it before shipping them is a mystery.

Jack

Surprise! Remington just sucks period. Seems like every other day someone is complaining about a Remington product on here Grizz. Oh 1841 post for those who are counting?

My new 700 was doing the same thing last week among other problems. Took it back and got a Savage, they've come along way since I bought a Savage about 15 years ago. The fit and finish is great and it shoots awesome, love the accutrigger.

Dale Klug

o the bes ot my knowledge every Remington 700 is shot a many times before leaving the factory and instected at each stage. Can you tell me if the barrel was dirty on he one you received? The do not clean them after firing them as proof they have been fires and tested at each stage.

Dale,

Did you get this issue resolved?

"I have a Remington R15 with the standard 5 round magazine. When I load the magazine with 5 rounds it is almost impossible to remove the top round it is so tight. It may have even cost me a coyote as I dropped the hammer on an empty chamber one time."

BTY, how is your back?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spiaailliDale Klug

o the bes ot my knowledge every Remington 700 is shot a many times before leaving the factory and instected at each stage. Can you tell me if the barrel was dirty on he one you received? The do not clean them after firing them as proof they have been fires and tested at each stage.

I would guess all manufacturers test fire each gun. I purchased a T/C Icon a few months back that would not extract fired cases properly. The bolt would lift normal but it took a lot of force to get the bolt back to extract the case.

The rifle was purchased new, had a dirty bore, and had a 3 shot test target with the "inspectors" number on it who fired the group. Not sure how this rifle slipped past QC. T/C made it right but it was an irritating experience to have to go through.

Im lucky with the remys that I have. But all the recent issues does make one question the QC.......I would like to be loyal but ya gotta call em as ya see em...or, is it hear about them. Never the less, it woud be interesting to know what the percentage of defective rifles is. I have decided to add to my coral of rifles instead of trading for a change of caliber and I will defenatly be looking at other brands. If all you are buying is the action, you can build off a Steves 200 for $300 or less and be a happy shooter. Not bashing remington, I own 4 and 2 are 700s and I love them, but......

Last edited:
A police sniper friend of mine went through three tactical rifles before he found one that was right. He really let Remington have it in a letter. I think his last one was probably hand-picked.

I just ordered an sps in 7 mag. I hope it has no issues. I am generally a Savage shooter, but I am left-handed and I decided to try the long-barreled Remington. I will see shortly if I made a mistake.

I can no longer buy Remingtons either. I had a 338 Ultra that had what I assume was a really rough chamber. With factory ammo I would have to hit the bolt as hard as possible to open it. The brass would have deep scars the length of the case.
I never did figure it out and finally sold it..

I have a friend that is a gunsmith, we removed the plunger ejector and the firing pin assmebly from the bolt and tried to chamber a round. It was still very difficult when we turned the bolt handle down. By having only the extractor left on the bolt face this definitely isolated it as the cause of the problem. The extractor is shaving brass off of the cartridge rim as you cam the bolt down. Probably the extractor, which is a "C" clip, is too stiff. I talked to Remington this morning, no hassles, they are sending me a new extractor. They didn't question my analysis, just said they'd get a new extractor right out. I would guess they had a bad run of extractors that didn't come out to spec. Should have been caught before they left the factory. At least they're making good on the error. It'll be cheaper and quicker having the work done locally than sending the rifle back to Remington as they don't guarantee my postage. Also my local gunsmith can make any adjustments deemed necessary to the extractor before installing it.

Back