Dye Snares?

Luke Tatro

Should I dye my snares. I've been trapping for about 10 years, and started to pick up snaring. Love it. I can't get enough of both. If you want a good book, go to murrays lures website, and get the trapping north american furbearers. thats go alot of good secrets in there, that i didn't know. Also, get the snaring 2000, if you want to pick up a few secrets into snaring.

LukeT:

Here are some basic treatments:

1. Boil them in a 2 or 3 gallon bucket of water with about 4 or 5 tablespoons of baking soda per gallon. This will take the shine off the cable, and help to descent them. This is all that is necessary unless you wish to go ahead and dye them. In which case:
2. Dye the above treated snares in logwood powder or crystals, or any other dying solution of your preference. Or as an option:
3. Soak untreated (new) snares in a flat shallow pan of pure vinegar anywhere from 4 to 8 hours; depending on how dark you want them.

After the above mentioned treatments, hang them out in fresh air for a couple of weeks. After airing, I like to cover mine with leaves, hay, etc. according to the environs in which I plan on using them.

Happy Snaring,
"Ridge"

If your setups are on fencelines you dont need to. I just buy a dozen online and head straight for the fencelines. Seems to not really hender my chances. I check my setups every 24 hours so I know what traffic comes in and around my setups as they are pretty much located in sandy areas.

If your are snareing in trail areas it might not hurt.

Just my $.02

Snares don't necessarily need to be treated at all. I have used new snares with success, but with canines, I choose to be scent free....still often set with bare hands in warmer weather at times. I mostly use cotton canvas gloves to handle snares. Like anything though with trapping, the more measures you take to remain scent-free, it pays more in the end and sometimes may not be noticeable.

I recommend a mild simmer in water and baking soda for about 10 minutes... just long enough to get the majority of the manufacturing lubrication off the snares.(2-4 tablespoons of baking soda per gallon of water) The complete removal, 100%, of the lubrication does not need to be removed. Hard boiling galvanized cable messes with the galvanization and is not good. It makes the snare cable brittle and stiff.

If you would like, you can "lightly" spray paint your snares to help blend them into their surroundings. Use any color you wish that helps camo them in their surroundings. I recommend Rustoleum spray from your local hardware. Let paint dry and air out for at least 2 weeks, with 3 being better. Your snares will be ready to take even the most leary coyotes then.

Using a caustic acidic product like vinegar is not a good idea with snares that have aluminum stops or ferrules on them as it compromises the holding integrity of the aluminum micro-fibers imbedded within the striations of the cable that were established in the crimping process.

Back