yote trap's

tooltime

I am thinking about settins up some trap's for coyote's. What i want to know is what is the best #2 trap to purchase. I have been looking at bridger,duke and victors. Once I get the traps I plan on welding base plate's, jaw's and if they do not come with 4 coil spring's I will add spring's. thanks tooltime

think i would go with the bridgers, don't think you really need the fourcoils, when the stock springs get weak just put music wires on

I use all #3 Bridgers except in pastures with cattle in them. I laminate, fourcoil, baseplate and shock spring the chain on all of my offset Bridgers. I use the #2 in the cattle pastures.T.20

The old dogless Monty's are a favorite of many, and the new Montana Specials are a great knock off of that trap. Flat setting (great in hard or rocky ground) and they hold up great.

You can never go wrong with Bridgers either, though.

Take care,

Rusty

Out of the ones you mentioned,I'd go with the Bridgers.You can buy them already base plated,laminated and 4 coiled through montgomery fur.But the trap I like best was mentioned by Rusty,the dogless montgomery,but like he said they dont make em anymore.But the Montana's are the same and I just ordered 1&1/2 dozen of them from Gappa's trapping service.When they get here I'll be modifying them myself cause I just like messing with trap modifications.

go with the bridger's and four-coil. you will like the speed of the four-coil in bad weather, and i'm sure you have bad soil and rotten weather there like in PA.

tooltime:

I have been trapping for some 30+ years, and ever since the coyote arrived here in WV, I have been working on'em.
Given the choices you are considering, I would definitely go with the Bridgers. They (Bridgers) are a "takeoff" of the old Northwoods traps.
I would also recommend Full modifications, meaning: reinforced base plate, jaws offset and laminated, and although cotten makes a good recommendation with the music wire springs, I have a preference for four coiling, because as silverfox says; they will crunch up thru the dirt better.

Best 'O Luck,
"Ridge"

Back