Zippo hand warmer?

the noobie

During the winter i usually carry a lighter on me 24/7 just incase i ever need it. I usually just go pick up a bic from the gas station but im thinking about getting one of these windproof zippo lighters.

Then i saw that they also make zippo hand warmers.

Zippo website

What ya think? im thinking it might be smart to have in the jacket pocket as well? ive carried those hand warmers that you open and they activate but they start getting at 3 dollars each and they expire after a while (one year i was in need of one because i got locked out of my house during the very cold montana winter.... mine that i carried in my backpack expire and didnt work)

just curious if anyone has proof that they really do work?

Zippos are great, BUT you do have to keep fluid in them. If mine sits for very long it wont light. Im thinking it would be the same with the handwarmer.

Guy

good point Guy,
Prolly shouldnt fill it before you intend to use it. as i read the instructions you have to fill it everytime you use/light it anyway.

I've got one that's made by another company, Jon-E. I don't use it for predator hunting because I can smell it myself, so I figure animals can smell it even better. I do use it for waterfowl hunting. It's been my experience that it goes out easily if you don't keep it out in the open when it's lit so it can get enough air to burn. It does keep my hands warm though, much warmer than those heat packs.

I have one of the JonE handwarmers also. I should have spent my money on the disposable ones. Mine will only stay lit if it is standing straight up. As stated above, it needs lots of air. Mine wouldnt stay lit in a pocket even if it was upright. I contacted them and they said I had a bad element. They sent a new one and it still wont work right. I sent them another email two weeks ago and have not heard back from them. I thought they had great CS at first but now think they dont. Save your money

The Zippo lighter is a good idea though. I carry one every time I am out somewhere. They will light when the disposable Bics wont.

I grew up with my Dad and Grandfather having the Jon-e handwarmers. They had them back in the 1960s and I still have and use them today if it's really cold. They work if you light them and let them sit for 5 minutes or so, per instructions.

Shayne

Well maybe i will hold off on the handwarmer unless i can find a few good sources that really like them.
unsure.gif

But as for the lighter Ill just need to choose which color/design out of a bajillion.
blink.gif
But the zippo windproofs are a lot more windproof than bics in my experience.

Originally Posted By: yotehunter57 They work if you light them and let them sit for 5 minutes or so, per instructions.
Shayne

I would let mine sit for upto 1 hr. The minute it went in the bag, pocket or even got put on its side on the table, it went out.

I have been using my 4 Jon-e hand warmers since the 70s and they work great....you will smell like lighter fluid as they burn it and it stays with you. I have not used them coyote calling ever due to that.

I got my zippo today... (dad was so excited i was getting one that he had me get him 4 of the things!
scared.gif
)

Anyways how long can the lighter sit before the fuel will be totally evaporated? and if i carry it in my pocket when hunting think i will start to stink soo bad from fluid that no coyotes will come in for miles?

I collect and have used zippos for years.

If you leave it sit out a couple weeks without refilling it will probably evaporate.

Also when carrying these in your pocket make sure you dont have a leaker.

Naptha will give ya a nice inflammation rash on your skin if it soaks thru, not to mention what it might do to your camos.

Believe it will melt plastic too.

ya ive been leaving the lid closed and putting an open flam near the closed lid to see if anything ignites from a leak.. ive also laid it on its side and repeated and also turned it and set it on the cap and repeated and so far not enough has been leaking out to ignite just enough that i can smell it if i smell closely to the case (like a few inches from it)

One thing to worry about, I had the Joh-E heater (zippo is likely the same) and as I recall the instructions said it MUST have air to breath. Reason being, during the burning process moisture is created. Hot moisture. STEAM ! ! !
I put mine in a shirt chest pocket to keep me warm. It did... next day I had a rightous steam burn that took days to heal.
Be careful with em.
I'm just sayin...
Bones.

Back