Virgin Coyote Hunter On Hand

Hoskins

Well first off let me introduce myself. My name is Staff Sergeant Hoskins and am a United States Marine currently stationed aboard Camp Lejeune, NC. I'm orginally from the mountains of southeastern Kentucky. I have hunted and fished nearly all my life. I am self taught on both.

I am dying to get into coyote/varmit/predator hunting. I plan to begin with coyote. I watch the shows, but at this point it is merely entertainment as I know next to nothing in regards to coyote hunting...other than the mere basics you can pick up from watching a sponsored television show. Additionally, I am in south eastern NC & not the prime coyote woods/land of the west.

I came across this sight via Google & figure that there is a wealth of knowledge on here, especially since it is a sight dedicated to predator hunting.

I humbly ask for any advice, knowledge, guidance, etc... to help me learn the in's & out's of predator hunting. Not only am I excited about learning this sport, more importantly...my 11 year old son is. He is the one who has really lit the fire under my butt to learn the ropes so that we can go coyote hunting. The predator hunting shows is something that we sit down and watch together.

Welcome from another KY newbie and thank you for your service. I'm a lifelong hunter as well and dabbled in predators a little but just wanting to get really serious about it now at 52. I've only been on here a week or two but just in scouting these threads I've already picked up a lot of great info. Great advice here on calls, sounds, methods, books, videos etc. Dig into some of the call n kill stories and you'll find nuggets of wisdom. Good luck to you and God Bless.

Well first off welcome to the forums and thank you for your service. It is greatly appreciated!

You will find everything you need to know about calling predators here. My advice would be to take a look under "calling in the east" thread and at the top there is a topic calling tactics....pages and pages of info there

Fastest way to get the hang of this stuff:

Link up with someone who has actually been successful at it, even just a few times. If you can find someone in NC to take you out & show you what they do & why it will drastically shorten the learning curve
wink.gif

If you can make the annual hunt in NM next month, you'll have a few days to get out in the desert & learn some things about it. No idea if you can or are willing to take leave for it, but there will be some truly experienced callers attending & I think we'd be able to get you out with a couple of them. I'm middling good myself & would be happy to take you out for a day, and may be able to put a more experienced caller in the mix.

Thank you for your service!!!!!
Spend some time here reading then go down to the call makers forum and get yourself a couple of good calls and that should get you off to a good start. Then just get out there and start calling.
Welcome to the foru to you and your son!!
Steve

I have an ex football player of mine down there . Zach Reynolds . If you see him slap him for me so hje will fill at home . LOL Welcome .

Welcome to Predator Masters Hoskins. My son is stationed at Camp Lejune, and was just deployed to Afghanistan about 2 month's ago.

Welcome to the board!

I am in the same boat as you man. I just got interested in it myself. Got a call, got a decoy, got my gun. Found a couple of guys locally that have gotten into in the past couple of years. They said I could tag along some. I am sure this will be the biggest step in getting started. Good luck to you on your new found hobby. If I get good at it I will look you up. Just return the favor please. I sure do wish I could make the NM hunt next year. I am sure this would be great experience.

Another virgin coyote hunter myself. Called one in while using a bleat can and since then, bought a Primos Lil Dog, Hot Dog and have a closed reed rabbit distress my uncle gave me. I only flipped that can 4-5 times over 2-3 minutes, heard and saw a raven cussing something out and then heard a branch swish....about ten minutes of sitting unseen in front of my stand across a small field, the coyote trotted right towards my stand.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I can't put anyone in a headlock unless I outrank them and more importantly am bigger & stronger than them!lol Just be patient with a storm of questions that I will be asking you all and please be patient with me!

Additionally, thank all of you for your support and patriotism toward us military folks and for all the Vets out there, I want to thank you for your contribution to our freedom and your service and sacrifice!

Welcome to PM,
It is sure addicting. I hope you and your son have lots of fun and success. Thank you for your service and sacrifice for this country.

Send me a PM with your address and ill send you a call from one of the custom call makers on here to get you and your son started. Its the least I can do in appreciation for your service.

Fin

First off, thank you for your service. Now, coyotes are EVERYWHERE!!!! If you don't have the wide open spaces of out west, grab a shotgun, some good camo, a few hand calls, and hit the woods. Get your boy out there too. I bet if you call a predator (of any type) within close range in the woods, you will do more to light his fire than you ever would calling one to within a couple hundred yards.....This site is full of info, keep reading and give it a try.

I'm already getting great advice & there is so much information on here that it is almost overwhelming...in a good sense of the meaning!

Coyotejunki...Semper Fi Brother

I was a Forward Observer in the Army for 4 years and went to BNOC in FT.Sill OK. 1987.There were also Marines in that class,great bunch of guys.I hope you and your son can have some luck at this.If you do your hooked for life.I have been calling for years and think maybe im starting to get better at it.Its a great way to spend time with your son either way!!And to Bigsky Songdogs-Very cool jesture!!!Best of luck to you.

Hoskins: Welcome aboard. You'll get some great advice and help on here.

My best advice is to make stand selection your priority. It trumps calls, camo, guns, loads, etc. I'm not sure what your country is like but call where the coyotes are and try to make the coyote expose himself if he wants the wind. Its important to be quiet, move slowly and bark the coyote to a stop but don't let 'em have your wind!

I hope you and your son have as much fun calling coyotes as my son and I have. It's been one of the best things we've done to spend time together. Glad your son is "into it".

Good luck to you guys!

Tim

We can fill your head with a ton of info till your head hurts. But the only way to find out for sure what works for you and your area is to get out there and call. You WILL get busted and you WILL miss shots but that's what makes it fun. Also try to find out what calls people are using around you. I know of 10 guys that all use Foxpros and I refuse to use one as the chances are higher that a coyote has already heard them sounds before! Pick you up a call from this site and that will be your best weapon.

To be honest the best way to do it is just get out there and call! Stick with the distress calls until you learn the correct way to howl. Coyotes know what howls sound like because they hear them all the time, a dying animal does not get to practice his death cry so it's harder to mess up a distress sound.

Take your shot when you can and don't make any sounds (barking,lip squeaking) unless you have too! If your coyote has been called before and you bark or squeak you could be seen the rear end of the coyote as he runs away from you. These are not dumb animals they usually don't make the same mistake twice!

So my advice is get out there and call, LEARN from every stand you make! Even if you get busted sit there and listen to the sounds they make and wait till they are done howling before you get up and walk away, and the most important thing of them all is to have fun and enjoy the time with your son!
thumbup.gif

Back