Coyote trap question

randy merta

I have been using Montgomery #2 dogless traps for many years for coyote trapping. Well after years of losing traps to theft, tractors smashing them flat and the many other trap grimlins it is time for me to reload my coyote trap supply.
Here is my question to you. What do you think is the best coyote trap? Why?
I am looking at buying some high quality traps.
Thanks in advance.

Randy

The Sterling MJ-650 is probably the best, but with your theft problem and all, you probably wouldn't want to pay the premium price. If I could find some good used #3 Montgomeries I would probably modify those and go trap coyotes. I would buy good #1 coils and put them on loose jaw side for the perfect four coil system. I like offset jaws on coyote traps also. The stock chain on most traps is too weak, as are the stock coyote swivels. I would use good quality kinkless chain 18" long and use wolf swivels. For new traps I would probably go with the #3 Bridger and modify those buggers just like I would the Montgomery. I also like to use my electric welder to make a knob on the ends of the jaws so they can not pull through the holes in the frame when coyote trys to wreck your trap. I don't trap anymore, and have sold all of mine.

In my opinion, JC Conner's Jake Trap is the best coyote iron you can buy. Second choice would be a Sterling MJ 600. Third choice would be a Coytoe Cuff #33. Tricked out Montana or Bridger #3 would give you the most bang for your buck.

Thanks guys! I am going to hit some of the trapping conventions this summer and hope to get some type of deal on a several dozen buy. I will study up on your suggestions and be informed when I buy.

Randy

My favorite is the Bridger #3. Laminated w/1/4" rod on jaws. Swivels, base plate and d-ring, four coiled with stop shock springs on the chain, coyote sized stop shocks. If you don't want damaged dogs on the trap try the heavy duty dogs from O'Gorman. Oh yeah, I only use earth anchors to stake my traps.T.20

I will have to vote for the Bridger#3 Modified version. I have to say the Bridger#2 Modified is a close 2nd. The bad thing about the 2s are you have to check them daily which I do anyway. I get mine from Montgomery Fur. Terry and Jody are good people. You will not get a better trap for the price.

If you like the dogless go with Graham's #3 Mont. Spec....should be availible soon.Can't go wrong with a offset modified 2 or 3 bridger,could use them a season or 2 before you 4 coil them.I like all the trinkets and jewlrey too but out of the box they'l hold most coyotes.

##n

#3 Northwoods dblong spgs if you can find them. if not use the Bmi #2 wolfer. low price and works as good as the rest of the high priced fancy ones.

Back