Muzzle brake 22-250?????

Mxracer532

Im wanting to put a muzzlebrake on my Remmy heavy barrel 22-250 anyone have ideas on the best way to go about doing this? What muzzle break ect ect.....

Originally Posted By: gwhWhy?
It will make your rifle loud and with the heavy barrel you should have almost no recoil.

Yeah, I was wondering what the benifit would be also. My 22-250 dosen't have any kick to it.

Benefit- being able to keep ur target in scope after shot.
It def has some kick, compared to my brother Encore single shot in 6mm PPC it has ALOT of kick.

Benefit- being able to keep ur target in scope after shot.
It def has some kick, compared to my brother Encore single shot in 6mm PPC it has ALOT of kick. Its a gun its supposed to be loud!!!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: gwhWhy?
It will make your rifle loud and with the heavy barrel you should have almost no recoil.

As of right now, I do not have one on my gun. But fter shooting one with a break on the end I want to get one asap.

The recoil of even the very lightest 22-250 isn't enough to bother anyone. But its enough that with a high power scope, and a small target you can't see your shots. If your solo hunting its really nice to see your hits, with out a spotter looking.

And wearing ear protection is really a good idea at all times.

Contact Jerry Martin @ Martin custom 1-405-620-2619. He is out of Shawnee Oklahoma. I think they are $200 dollars installed. Up to 75 percent recoil reduction!!! I have alot of friends in this are that he has installed them for and they love them. He also recrowns the barrel and threads it to screw on the muzzle brake. It is blued to match with no transition from the barrel to the brake, it just tapers out! He also makes them for blackpowders so all the smoke disapates to the sides giving you a plane view of what you just shot. So you dont have to try to look through the smoke to see if you got it!

I would get a Blackhawk/Knoxx Axiom stock instead. It has something like 3 recoil reducing features, and can be had for under $200. I have a Howa 1500 Axiom in .22-250 and love it. I agree with others-the .22-250 is already loud enough. Putting a muzzle brake on one would probably knock the wax out of your ears every time you pull the trigger.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BearYes But this will make it EAR stinging loud. You will need ear protection when hunting!!

Exactly. I would never out a mizzle brake on a .22 caliber rifle. I have talked to guys who put them on their various hunting rifles and many of them got rid of them after installition and a few shots, or simply put them on a shelf never to be used again.

Muzzle brakes are made for large caliber rifles shoot 180gr or larger bullets, but even then you better be certain of how you intend to use it. If only used for benchreast paper punching then fine as you can wear ear protection. If used for hunting you will also need to wear ear protection which is a real pain and cuts down your hearing for approaching game.

Originally Posted By: BearYes But this will make it EAR stinging loud. You will need ear protection when hunting!!

And also make it a real pain in the butt to take hunting. If you're using it for benchreast paperpunching only then you are in a place where you will be wearing ear protection. I would definately think that over.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Half crippleOriginally Posted By: BearYes But this will make it EAR stinging loud. You will need ear protection when hunting!!

Exactly. I would never out a mizzle brake on a .22 caliber rifle. I have talked to guys who put them on their various hunting rifles and many of them got rid of them after installition and a few shots, or simply put them on a shelf never to be used again.

Muzzle brakes are made for large caliber rifles shoot 180gr or larger bullets, but even then you better be certain of how you intend to use it. If only used for benchreast paper punching then fine as you can wear ear protection. If used for hunting you will also need to wear ear protection which is a real pain and cuts down your hearing for approaching game.

Also, if you do any night hunting, I would think the muzzle flash would be blinding, which would defeat the purpose for which you want a muzzle brake.

Duane put a muzzle brake on a Remington 700 30-06 for my son and did a real nice job. I bought the brake and sent it to him with the gun. I used a Vais Quit Brake and it works great. The brake didn’t increase the noise so much that it rang your ears. I know a guy that just put a brake, that has the holes drilled straight through, on his rifle and it really rang his ears. I usually don’t wear ear protection when hunting and was worried about using a muzzle brake. I have shot the gun twice without hearing protection and was beside my son when he shot his elk and wasn’t bothered by the noise.

I don't see how you guys don't wear ear protection even while hunting. My ears ring non stop and i can't stand a 22lr anymore without protection.

From personal experience after many years of shooting,, wear hearing protection... I suffer from continual Tinnitus even from shooting a lot of .22s as a kid...Shooting on various ranges as a pistol team shooter and competition shooter, even with ear plugs and muffs hasn't helped either..

When I'm at an event with a lot of other shooters, I'm usually wearing custom injected ear plugs with electronic muffs over them,,,, Once your hearing is damaged that way, there is no cure...It only takes that one gun shot to start the damage...continual damage just makes it worse with each compression..

Depending on the barometric pressures, I'm continually bombarded with noise as if I were sitting in a field surrounded by a bunch of Crickets chirping all the time...sometimes just louder than others..interesting, but not enjoyable...

Back