.17 hm2......

YoteAddiction

Where did it go?? has it died off that quick, or is it still to far in the beginnings of settling in to be widespread?? I just decided a .17 hm2 sounded like a rimfire I'd like to have, but either I'm missing something or there isn't much out there as far as gun selection goes.....

I built 2 of them, 1 out of a 10/22 and 1 from a 77/22. Got the barrels from Green Mountain, bolt parts for the 10/22 from Skeeter on RFC. Both shoot well, lots of fun. Had looked around for some, but as you said there was not much selection. The 77/22 was very easy, only needed to swap the barrel.

Chuck

Where I buy my .17 Hummer ammo I can find it on sale for $9-$10 a box quite often. Just bought 6 more boxes a few day ago even. The same store never puts the Mach2 ammo on sale which is around $8 a box and there aint much of it either. I think most folks would rather ante up a couple more bucks for the Hummer stuff.

A friend of mine has a Mach2. And I will admit it is a cute thing. It will do a number on a prairie dog if you keep your shots under 100 yards with 75 yards being even better.

If it had been released before the hmr instead of after it would have done better. Faster and flatter than the 22, good plinker and no recoil. But hmr was out, faster and flatter and no recoil. Kind of like taking a supercharger out of a car, getting the same mileage with less performance, but for the same price. Most folks wouldn't take that option. So less demand, fewer sales, less of a reason to make ammo for it.

I looked at converting one of my 22s and figured it was about cheaper and less work tto just buy a hmr.

I sold my HMR and kept my .17M2.

HMR is $12-17 locally which is outrageous! Online it's $10-11, till pricey since I can reload my .17rem for cheap.

M2 locally is $6-8. Online it can be had for $3 a box. Few years back online they had a sale for Rem M2 ammo for $3 a box. I bought quite a bit and still have plenty on hand.

Would love to buy a Cooper in .17M2.

Seems like a lot of the companies dropped the .17M2. By far my favorite squirrel round.

i would love a cooper in anything, LOL
smile.gif
I was always put off by the cost of 17 rimfire ammo, especially HMR. But now 22lr is just as expensive, and i will be geting a CZ 455 which you can switch barrels on, so i might get a 17hmr barrel as well.

Ammo is around $5 a box. I would like to see anyone selling it at $3. It was i think brought out with too much expectation. It isn't dead, it is a niche, and does most of what the HMR does at half the price. It is the squirrel round out to 100-125 yards. I have seen many HMRs for sale at gun shows but no hm2s. That means that everyone is keeping what they have. Nothing on any of the 20+ gun forums I am on either. Why buy hmr when you can reload .223 for a similar price?

Go to sgammo for the best normal price on hm2 ammo.

P.S. I just bought another 1850 rds yesterday, and I am looking for an hm2 bolt and a pistol.

Last edited:
wholesale hunter has mach2 horny's for 5.48 per box if you buy a case....

http://www.wholesalehunter.com/product.asp?keywords=17+Hornady+Mach+2+%28HM2%29+17gr%2F50&productid=36549

I have a couple .17HM2s

I think it's an awesome round. Lots of fun to shoot and accurate as can be. I have a CZ Varmint and a custom 581 Brian Voelker built into a .17HM2 for me.

Just overall fun round to shoot and deadly on small game.

As some have mentioned, Eley ammo seems to be the best and I think they made the ammo for Remington.

Some people shoot .17 Aguila ammo in theirs but I have had mixed results with that.

I just did a search on GB and you're right, seems not too many of them out there anymore.
frown.gif

Dust Why buy hmr when you can reload .223 for a similar price? [/quote said:
Well, it is not exactly the same thing here, is it? The Hummer fills a wonderful niche for much of my shooting pleasure. It will turn a ground squirrel inside out at any reasonable range, will not heat up or quickly wear out a barrel, is way quiet compared to a .223 or similar cartridge, nothing to pick up off the ground to take home and clean and reload, and best of all, is just a hoot to shoot. Last June, my hunting buddy and I had a ball taking prairie dogs with ours. If the range was much over 100 yards or so we used our centerfires, but not a single pooch needed more than one shot and it sure was fun watching the hits in the scope as well. As long as I can get them for the prices that they are right now I think that they are a bargain. A bargain and a hoot to boot. What not to like?

And this evening I stopped at my local gun shop and asked the counter man if they had any Mach 2 rifles and he told me that they did not stock them because no one asked about buying them. All anyone wanted was the HMR. I can understand why after owning one for quite a few years now. Too much fun!

That's the same thing a local gun shop owner told me here. He hasn't had one or had a call for one in a long time.

that's about the story I hear too, I really just want to replace my 22lr for something with a little more zip, and the hmr, though a tempting firearm, is way more than I need to shoot a cute little bushy tail, honestly, everything I've found about the .17 hm2 tells me it might just be my dream rimfire, my main fear is ill get one and a year after they'll stop making ammo for it

I got a 17m2 for killing pigeons... Worked phenomenal. Then tried it on jackrabbits.. fantastic! Have had mixed results on coyotes. Had two that were bang flop... couple that were bang bang flop and one that took 14 rounds.

The normal price I see for 17m2 ammo is around $6-7 a box of 50. HMR price is between $12-15. I can reload my hornet or fireball for that much and they give a lot more bang for the buck. I have shot a HMR and like them but the 17m2 is 90% HMR for 50% the price.

Wish it was more popular but my gunshop stops have netted previous poster results.. "Nobody wants the mach 2 they all want the HMR" Yada yada.

On Eley ammo although they work great in a bolt action... I had a dasterdly time with them in my 10/17. They were splitting cases, leaving huge round caseheads, and had a couple head separations.

No trouble with the Hornady and cci ammo.

If you want a Pristine Bird killer for your shop or garage or barn. Take a pair of pliers and pull out the plastic tip on 17m2 ammo. This leaves a huge hollowpoint. Will vaporize a pigeon, starling, sparrow etc and not go through the tin behind it.

Originally Posted By: YoteAddictionmy main fear is ill get one and a year after they'll stop making ammo for it

Here's the thing. Ammo is cheap online. It is even cheaper when you buy it in bulk. The ammo isn't going anywhere, people in the industry have said it, but if you are really worried about it, buy the gun, buy each kind of ammo, and buy 10K of whatever the gun shoots the best. Then you don't have to worry about "the future that no one can predict" and your son or daughter can use the gun too.

HaHa, its kind of funny, because directly after posting that last night I thought, If I just buy 10 thousand rounds, I wont have to worry about it for a loooong time

I still want a HM2, and have even considered either rebarreling a Remington 581 or having a barrel liner installed. Not sure how expensive a barrel liner might be, but rebarreling would be quite expensive.

I have a T/C R55 17m2. It, in my opinion, doesn't quite live up to T/C's rep for accuracy. Its around 3/4-1 in at fifty yards accurate, which is probably better than a lot of .22s but not quite up to the R55's rep. The Eley ammo I think is a little hotter than some of the others, and has to be inspected very closely before use, as much of mine (usually around 10% of a 50 round box)will have a crack at the case neck. It probably wouldn't hurt in a bolt gun, but I [beeep] sure don't recommend it in a semi-auto. I one split all the way back to rim once. The bullet did not make it 2" up the barrel and had to be pushed out with a cleaning rod. I'm also glad T/C went with a steel magazine as I've read on rimfire central that many converted 10/22 magazines have shattered when this occurs.

Last edited:
The M2 is climbing very slowly on its own.Lack of knowledge about the round is what is slowing its growth.Awsome little round love mine it is a laser.

Back