I have read the tanning process 101....

Your doing fine pangborn83. By rock hard I mean you can whack it with a broom handle and make it sound like your hitting the heel of your cowboy boots.
It's simply a precautionary measure, but boy is it an easy one that will make long term effects well worth the grief.

okay hopefully these are the last couple of ?'s I tried to find some answers for these using the search but can't so here it goes 1) forgot to order ph strips when I ordered from rittels is there any type of store that I would more than likely have in town that will have the correct level strips? I tried the pet stores thinking aquariums and hardware/garening stores etc. thinking garden but the only ones I can come up with are 6.4 and higher. 2) can I use a sterilite tote to pikle and tan if not should I use metal or glass. I think the later question is just thinking to much about this but maybe the acids would cause problems with the platic or metal so I figured I better ask. Thanks again

You shouldn't use any metal for any of the soaks in any kind of tanning, pangborn. That should sum that up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif no metal.

Check a drug store for the PH papers.
Or...if there is a bar or restaraunt in town, they have to use litmus paper to check their water monthly.

that is the information I was looking for jim, I appreciate it a ton is there a reason for not using a metal tub? I was thinking that the acids may cause rust to form or someother type of problem to arise. Well thanks, James Pangborn

Different acids react differently to different metals. But they all have a reaction.

I have received hides with pieces of copper bullet in them, shotgun shot, staples, wire, broken off knife blades, the tail assembly off a 65 Chevy Malibu... :rolleyes: , no just kidding about that last one.
But even those little pieces of metal have an advert reaction. Usually turning the hair or fur a purple color where the metal was, sometimes black. It's always different.
A metal vat for tanning solutions would be nothing but a disaster, and with the right type of acid...down right dangerous.

Hey, I can't get any Ph papers anywhere in town, I hit up the bars, pharmacies (over 30 in the area) only one had them and the pharmicist can't sell them they just come with certain prescriptions. I had put the hid in a rehydration solution last night thinking that I could get my hands on some Ph pappers today, can I do something with the hide that I am working on to make it storable till I can order the tester from rittles? Thanks James

If it's just going into rehydration, your next step is the pickle anyway, and it's safe in the pickle for several weeks.
Mix your pickle according to the directions and you'll be safe till you can check it.

Make sure you rinse your hide when it comes out of rehydration, and drain it for 1 HOUR, that way you'll be mixing as little neutral water as possible with your pickling acid.

thanks River runner, I was thinking about trying that but I wasn't sure if I couldn't test if there would be any dirrect effects I would have till I could get some Ph papers. THanks Again as always James

No, that saftee acid is some potent stuff. As long as you follow the mixing directions, you'll have a good PH level right off the bat.

A sopping wet hide or an extremely dirty one is the only thing that will change that PH level immedietly.

Back