Its time for a new rifle help me decide

rustydog32

I need something fur friendly on foxes and bobcats dont really care about the yotes just want them dead. I was looking at a 223 or 204 any suggestions? also what rifle there are so many choices by the way all shots will be within 200 yards mostly within 100 I am open to all suggestions also do they make a 204 in a semi auto besides an AR

i think a 17rem would be right up your alley, fur friendly on fox and bobcats, and will definatly kill coyotes. I do love the 204 though. I am not sure, you may be limited to the ar platform, although you can get a mini14 in 204 but i have heard nothing but inaccuaracy coming from them.

the 204 isnt going to be as fur friendly as you think. if you are just going to be shooting within 200 yards then i would go with the remington 700 sps tactical. got one and with my 69gr matchking load i have 3 shots touching at 200.

Originally Posted By: markleythe 204 isnt going to be as fur friendly as you think. if you are just going to be shooting within 200 yards then i would go with the remington 700 sps tactical. got one and with my 69gr matchking load i have 3 shots touching at 200.

How often do you think you could repeat that group, or anything close to it at 200 yards?

So far my CZ, 204 Ruger, with 35gr Bergers has been very fur friendly on coyotes and a few bobcats. I've had one splash, but that was after the bullet hit solid on an upper leg bone. Sometimes a 17 Rem will make an ugly spot too.

thats true, and i have heard good about the 35gr Bergers but have yet to load some up, i will though and hopefully have some dogs to show off for it
smile.gif

I might occassionally shoot a wild hog with it but if I do it will be right behind the ear I do that with a 22 mag all day so I'm not really worried about that

that was off a lead sled. havent shot that gun much yet but my 22-250 i can keep it under .75inches with 3 shots off bipod. so im pretty sure once i get used to this gun i will be able to produce those groups. havent had problems shooting beer bottles at 400 yards off bipod with my 22-250.

Last edited:
I was looking it looks like either the 22 hornet or 204 I dont reload and the have the best ammunition selection the hornet just isnt much of a flat shooter and I like to be able to be able to drive tacks if the needed

Originally Posted By: markley havent had problems shooting beer bottles at 400 yards off bipod with my 22-250.

Not bad, hope the broken glass isn't still there. Soda cans are more or less the same size......

Chupa

Range of the .17 centerfires for the most part is 3 times that of the .22 mag. I don't know off the top of my head the difference in enrgy between the two on average, but I would be astonished if the .17 centerfires didn't just absolutely skunk the .22 mag.

Chupa

Back