.223, 22-250, or .243 which one is better for Predators

MoDOThunter

Kinda new to Predator Hunting killed Coyotes on the farm but no hunting for them until just lately now hooked I want to get a new gun thinking AR narrowed down to 3 calibers 223, 22-250, and .243 wanted to get some advice on each. Thanks

they dont make an semi auto 22-250 so thats out if you want an AR. What kind of shots do you plan on taking? are you going for 400 plus yards or will most of your shots going to be within 200 yards? if you are going for the longer shots then i would get either a 243 or a 308 if you want an AR. if you dont mind having a bolt gun then you could also get a 22-250. If you are going to keep it within 200 yards or so then a 223 or a 204 with suit you just great. with those two calibers i wouldnt take a shot on a coyote passed 300 yards. they are capable of taking down coyotes passed 300 but it then comes down to shot placement.

thumbup1.gif
.223 is good because it is very common and our military uses it a lot so if you get DRAFTED you'll already be well familiar with it. Whatever you decide on, stick with it and your familiarity with the same cartridge will probably pay big dividends in your over all marksmanship scores or hits in the field.

Good hunting!
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
Its a very old question man pick one they all have pros and cons do a search and read all the feed back way easier then asking this question over and over.Buy what you want and what you like and go out and try it.They all kill!
smile.gif

All the calibers mentioned are good ones for killing yotes. Things to concider are.......distance, wind and are you going to save the fur? I have a 22-250 and its a tac driver and I hit clays out to 400yds. Doest buck the wind well though. I also have a .243 and it IS my new yote rifle. I dont care about the fur and I wont be shooting much past 200yds or so. My buddy has a AR in a .223 and with his ACOG, he is kicking the crap out of stuff 300yds away but has trouble with the 400 yarders.......so, there are many factors. I wasnt sure what I wanted so I bought what I thought the most popular caliber was and I bought a 22-250. Now I have a .243. .223 doesnt do a thing for me unless its an AR. If you go with a 22-250, pay attention to the twist rate. I have a 1:14 and its too slow. I managed to work up a load for a 60VMAX but that too is too light during the windy days. You will need a 1:12 or faster for the heavier pills..........good luck.

Tony

Last edited:
This is bound to become a pissing contest but depending on certain factors, Id say the .243 is the best overall of the 3. All 3 have strong and weak points.

Last edited:
243...great hog round...not for deer or critters....for a whole lot of reasons.

Edit: no pissin contest- just cold hard fact.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rodngun243...great hog round...not for deer or critters....for all whole lot of reasons.

Are You serious or just screwing with people?
I hope You aren't serious because I know alot of people including myself who have taken all game up to and including elk with a .243!

243 if handload... 22-250 if you dont. 223 will do the job... but I have put perfect shots on coyotes and had them run. I personally have never had an exit out of my 243 loaded with 58gr vmax so its still fur friendly. I shoot a 223 only out of an AR15 so I have a couple quick follow up shots but if I only have one shot.... its a 243 first then a 22-250 second.

The 22-250 is a great round as is the 243, the 223 just doesn't do it for me. First I would pick what style gun you want, if its an AR for sure then you are restricted to the calibers that are available, 22-250 not being one.

Originally Posted By: rodngunokay - I'll take the bait - WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU BE ELK HUNTING WITH A 243...

No, The question is WHY NOT!! If You are comfortable with it and know how to shoot, a .243 is perfectly capable of killing an elk out to 300 yds!! I suppose You belong to the school of 7 mag or bigger is minimum for an elk?

No Sir - I belong to the old school of - a 270 will kill anything in north america.I laugh at those carrying around a 300 to go deer hunting with..but thats just me.

There is just to many reason to explain WHY you should not chance a shot on a elk with a 243....to long to explain..no time or patience.

Originally Posted By: rodngunokay - I'll take the bait - WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU BE ELK HUNTING WITH A 243...

i killed my first elk at 12yrs old with one shot from my 243, it was the only gun i had available to borrow as my parents didnt hunt. It was a bang flop with a well placed bullet, BUT it was only 45-50 yards away. Having said that i would not do it again, as i am not comfortable with a small caliber on a big animal in the terrain i hunt. But properly placed well constructed bullets to the vitals will kill without exception, no matter a 243 or 458.

I know an old timer who has never missed an elk season, and has never not filled his tag. he uses a Remington 600 mohawk in 243 that he bought the first year it came out. This year he shot an exceptional 5pt with no troubles. i would not reccomend it to anyone only because there are a lot of people who are not marksmen and cant be trusted to put the bullet in the right place every time the trigger is pulled, but in the right hands it is a great round.

243 is a great hog gun..if you reload like I do.I live in Tx...243 on a yote ? - sure, if its within 300 yards or so...but this is Tx..

I'll take a 22-250 any day over any other caliber-period,

and just to further confuse some folks- a 22 will kill a deer or a hog - but why chance it.

243 without a doubt it will do anything that the 250 will plus some . That said I would like to see the cold hard fact that the 243 win is not a deer rifle . I wished someone would have told the deer I have shot and watched drop ( none have made it mor than 20 yards ) that they were not supposed to expire when shot with this round

Back