Remington model 7 predator

psdan000

I was looking to get some feedback on this rifle. I'm in the market for a new .243 and I had my eye on the savage model 10 predator max 1, but my local shop can't get them right now. I really like the idea of the model 7 predator, it seems to be a nice light rifle for coyote hunting. I've owned half a dozen remingtons and half a dozen savages and the remington's accuracy has not been up to par. What do you guys that have owned/shot the remington model 7 predator think about them? Thanks for the help.

I used to have a M7 predator in 204.
I sold it about 6 months later.
bolt was very sticky and the trigger sucked big time.

it was a nice light weight gun, but may as well have carried around a stick both would have had the same chance of hitting a coyote.

I have one in a 243 and have had nothing but problems with it since day one. The fit and finish is terriable. It has problems feeding from the magazine, and the bolt has lots of "free play" even when it has a loaded round in the chamber.
I would never buy another one.

I bought the M7 in .204. Could not get 40 gr. to group less than a paper plate size. 32 gr was little better. All my other 204s shot lights out (Ruger and Savage at the time. Took the gun to my smithy and he found the plastic stock was crooked and touching the barrel. The X-Mark trigger fell apart in his hands. This also happened to a buddy who bought one of the triangle barrel Remington jobs.

When I chambered a round, it left a very noticeable witness mark on the shell case.

I think the new investors in Remington have gone 180 degrees backwards on quality to scrimp on $$$. Would not touch a new Remington on a bet. Very sad development in my opinion.

I have a Model 7 Predator in 223. It is one of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned. Don't believe all the anti-Remington goobly gook that you hear, as most of it is untrue. I have handled the Savage Predator, and there is no comparison to the Remington. The Model 7 wins hands down.

I have the model 7 predator in .243, and really like this gun. I did however put a jewell varmint trigger in myself,as I do all my model 7's as well as model 700's, I just can't seem to get the factory triggers light enough to my liking and still remain safe. With handloaded 85gr sierra hpbt's and a moderate charge of H-380 this lil gun will dot eyes, I'm happy with it overall....

My Model Seven Predator .243 shoots fine. There is plenty of discussion about the M7 Predator if you use the search button.

i have the savage and model 7 predator models in .243, the m7 goes with me every time i go to the woods. the savage is more accurate, but not by much carries like a 2x4 in comparison. ymmv.

btw, the XMark breaks like glass and comes set at 3 1/2 lbs from the factory. You can adjust it all the way down to 1.5 lbs! Hands down the best trigger on the market right now on a sub $1000 factory gun.

I think if you go to a different fourm you find 99.9% of the folks will tell you both the Savage and the Remington Predator models are top notch and shoot lights out. I've not seen a bad review of either in the last few years I've been following them.

My Model 7 has been flawless. 1/2" group or less at 100 and even a 2.5" group 300 yards. I guess some people expect alot more than I do out of my rifles. But...good groups and a pile of dead critters are the reasurance I need.

I don't have one of these, but I think the truth is that some are really really good and some are really bad, while most lie in between somewhere. And the same can be said of any factory rifle. No one elses experiences with an identical model means squat, unless you buy that particular rifle from them.

In the end, you pay your money and take your chances. JMO

My Model 7 in .223 is a good shooter as far as I'm concerned. With 27gr. Varget and 50 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips I can usually get 1/2" groups at 100 yds. from the bench. I did remove the forend pressure pad and float the barrel as well as glass filled the cavities in the forend to stiffen the stock somewhat. Before that it had a tendency to vertical string when the barrel got a little warm. Even still with a cold barrel it was very accurate before that. The X-mark trigger is ok but I prefer the old style trigger myself. On the other hand I have a 700 tactical .308 with the newer version of X-mark trigger and it is SWEET.
All in all I like the M7. It shoots where I point it and is a pleasure to carry.

Kevin

Two versions of the XMark? There are a bunch of 700 Tac models and most of them do have the XMark, but the XCR Long Range comes with the 40X trigger. Tell me about the different versions of the XMark Trigger.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spiaailliTwo versions of the XMark? There are a bunch of 700 Tac models and most of them do have the XMark, but the XCR Long Range comes with the 40X trigger. Tell me about the different versions of the XMark Trigger.

spiaailli, My Model 7 predator was bought new in 2008 and came with the original X-mark Pro. My 700 is the SPS 700 tactical that comes with the Hogue stock ( which I plan to replace) but has the externally adjustable X-mark pro introduced in 2009. Hence the "newer version" I mentioned. The newer trigger on my 700 is noticeably cleaner, crisper and more consistent than the older. The newer Model 7's have the newer trigger so I would suggest making sure a new rifle purchase comes with the newer trigger and not from old stock. It is easy to identify because of the adjustment screw that goes thru the trigger shoe which the old style does not have. Hope this answers your question.

Kevin

This is my first post here on Predator Masters, and I'm enjoying what I have been reading.

I want (really bad) a model 7 predator in .223.

Is the magnum contour barrel much bigger than a regular sporter weight one? I hope so.

Also, is the stock just plastic? If so can it be bedded to tighten things up?

I already have a Winchester model 70 in .223 and really don't need another. However, I am hoping that the Remington will be more accurate than the Winchester.

Another factor that is hindering my decision is should I get the .204 ruger instead of the .223? I am going to use the gun to hunt yotes here in Georgia mostly.

I would use it for bobcat and fox, but our law here states that one has to use a rimfire for bobcat and fox.

Any help on the gun is appreciated.
thanks

Back