Which reloading manual

NY Yote28

I want to get a new reloading manual and was wondering what your guys preferences are. I was looking at the Hornady 8th edition manual but also see some people recommend waiting for the Hodgdon 2010 manual that comes out in Jan. Any suggestions?

I have a few that I use often. The Sierra 5th Edition, the 2010 Hodgdon and the Vihtavuori 4th Edition. I try to replace them with the newest version when available.
Pick the bullet company and/or the powder that you use most as a starter. You will likely add others in time.

Hodgdon has one that comes out in the magazine rack every year with updates for I think $9.00. Thats what I buy for their load data. I pick one up about a week ago from walmart.

I have to say, go with whatever manufacturer's bullets you use. That's because thats what they've tested. I believe that gives you a more reliable starting and max load parameter with a variety of powders.

I have Hodgdon Speer Hornady Sierra and Nosler manuals and find myself going to Noslers most often and comparing that data to Sierra's. RR

I have several and my two favorite are the newest Speer and the Lyman. The Lyman has more realistic data for my use.

Because Lyman doesn't sell bullets or powder they list a much more diverse selection of components. I am going to be looking at the new Hornady manual because I think it will list some loads for the new Superformance powder that Hodgdon is going to sell. It is the powder that Hornady is using in some of their Superformance factory loads which they say they getting higher velocities without excessive pressure.

I recommend having at least 3. If you look at a paticular bullet of let's say 150grs, and then look at all the powder recommendations for that paticular bullet in all 3 manuals, you'll probably see 3 different max loads for various powders. Not always, but enough that it might make a difference in your load. Let's say you've worked up to a max load in manual X, and you have no pressure signs but don't want to exceed a max load, but in manual Y, the max load is listed as .3grs higher or more. I have found this to be pretty common. It is always good to follow what ever manual you are using and to be safe. Just saying it gives you more information available to you to be better informed...

It is scary how many times the Nosler's "most accurate load" is right on or very close. They list the most accurate load for each powder that is often right on also.

It has been a extremely rare occurance that Sierra's most accurate load has ever applied to any gun in my safe or my friends's safe...Hummmmm......

By the way, the loads listed in the loading manuals are only meant to be a guide. The listed max loads were max loads for the test barrel used along with the specific lot number of powder they uses...so, don't read anything more into those Max loads that that.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanBy the way, the loads listed in the loading manuals are only meant to be a guide. The listed max loads were max loads for the test barrel used along with the specific lot number of powder they uses...so, don't read anything more into those Max loads that that.

SPOT ON!

for a general reloading manual I would have to say Lyman they are not brand specific and list a lot of loads. I do like noslers guide although I rarely use their products I am a Sierra and Berger guy they are usually fairly close to what they say is most accurate.

Easy, all of them.
tt2.gif

The Lee book I used to have was simply a collection of loads from 2 or 3 other load manuals. You could buy one book and get info from multiple books. You might also go to your local gunshop and pick up the load data provided by the powder makers. Win, Hodgen, etc. They are free.

I'd recommend at least 3 manuals so you'll be able to make a better decision on different load combinations. I've been loading since 1969 and have gathered up a bunch of manuals over the years.

Here's a few of them.

dscf0898p.jpg

i use sierra, hornady, speer, lyman, and nosler. if i had to choose one it would be the lyman with nosler and hornady fighting for second.

I'd recommend starting with one from a bullet manufacturer and one from a powder manufacturer. Preferably the ones you are using. I like speer and hodgdon myself, as those are what I use most. Also, there is a manufacturer that makes caliber specific books that have copies of the relevent pages from multiple manuals, but they seem to be a little behind with keeping up with the newer powders.

Originally Posted By: ShynlocoI have to say, go with whatever manufacturer's bullets you use. That's because thats what they've tested. I believe that gives you a more reliable starting and max load parameter with a variety of powders.

+1. I have to admit that I rarely use a reloading manual. I only load 2 different types of ammo. So out of all the 600 pages I use about 2 of them. If I did more maybe I would use a manual more. I use hodgdon powders and find their website is plenty useful for all of my reloads.

Back