17 Javelina Small caliber history

eurosport

I just bought an Atkinson & Marquart Rifle Co. built rifle in 17 Javelina. I found the 17 Javelina article in the 2000 summer edition with some history of the rifle and cartridge.
This rifle is based on a .222 Rem Sako action and magazine, A & M 17 barrel, and custom wood stock.
To me this is a piece of small caliber history. A&M Rifle Co was formed in 1964 and became Atkinson Gun Co. in 1972.
My rifle is in perfect nearly unfired condition. It was used to fire form 15 17 Javelina cases. The magazine is pristine. It appears it has never had a shell in it.
The top of barrel is engraved in cursive: The Atkinson & Marquart Rifle Co. Regal Arms Inc. San Diego
I mounted a Leupold 6.5-20x40 LR. I loaded some fire formed brass and formed brass to shoot Saturday. Got to the range set targets set bags and front rest. Went to ammo bag and no ammo. Left it on my bench! Range report forth coming!

17Javelina004-1.jpg

17Javelina006.jpg

17Javelina002-1.jpg

Thanks,
Bob

aahhh,thanx for sharing!
that is indeed a piece of small bore history.....you should send those photos off to Small Caliber News....there are folks there that will foam at the mouth over them (it).
i may be wrong but that looks like a bishop stock.....or the other stock supplier from missouri of that era....having a brain phart.
again.....thanx.....she sure is sweet lookin'.

all ya need now is a Unertl Condor 10x and a box of Sisk bullets to pose in that pic.

Last edited:
That is a bit of early small bore history. Fajen gunstocks in Warsaw Mo. was the other big stock outfit. If my memory serves me well, A and M Rifle Co. ultimately became HS Precision that is still with us today.

OH man, that is an awesome rifle and a great find. Also a super caliber for Fox. The era that was built in brings back a lot of good memories.

Here is the rifles first kill to the best of my knowledge. It came with approx 125 formed and annealled cases. Only 10 cases had been fire formed. The gun looks as new. Here is a Colorado coyote I shot with 30 Gr Berger Varmint. I have since got some Kindler Gold 30 Gr. The Berger blew up on impact.
I have also changed scope and rings since original posting, it now wears a 4.5-14 Vari X III and Sako rings. Much nicer looking package.
Deer027-1.jpg

That is a sweet little devil!
Best of luck with it!!!

If it's not a 1:9" twist, you may want to opt for the 27gr GOLDS instead of the 30s. Anything slower than a 1:9" won't spin those 30s...

Back