Need info on a Sako L461 vixen 24''BB 222

nbsrtue

I just purchased a L461 vixen I ran the numbers on it.It showed to be a mid 1960's model.I have looked on gun broker and found some light barrel versions of it but this one is a 24inch heavy barrel with a wide forend.I havnt been able to find any simular and was wondering what the value of this gun in very nice condition would be.I was also wondering if any body has ever done any trigger work on one could give me some pointers on getting the trigger adjusted down under a pound.Thanks any advice would be great

A lot of the 461's were sold as actions only for the building block of a custom rig. If it is indeed a custom value can be subjective, depending on barrel quality, as well as the grade of walnut used for the stock. I have seen good quality builds on the 461 range from $800-2000 depending on the quality of work and wood grade.

Sako 461 manual
http://www.sako.fi/pdf/manuals/Vixen.pdf

Sako trigger are sweet when done right but to get them safely under three pounds in most cases requires a smith. As to the value I really can't say. Go to the Sako collectors site and post your questions there. I'm sure they will be more than happy to sort you out. Grizz

I own a Sako in .22PPC. Some refer to it as a Vixen also but the name was used far and wide and sometimes it was just printed on the box the rifle was shipped in.

Check out this forum. They can tell you everything you want to know about your Sako:
http://sakocollectors.lefora.com/?utm_so...550678-6bf4e273

In the mean time this link shows all Sako serial numbers:
http://www.sako.fi/pdf/datatables/SakoOldmodelsNumbering.pdf

I did my first varmint shooting using my dad's Sako .222 heavy barrel (also with the wide front end like yours). It was a factory rifle. I love the thing and vow to pry it from his fingers one of these days (and he owns literally dozens of awesome bolt rifles).

I got tired of waiting and bought my Sako. Besides being in .22 PPC and therefore dead accurate, it is a single shot with adjustable trigger - well under a pound by the way and completely safe.

Here was mine before it was in my hands:
Sako_22.jpg

Oh, and I paid $1100 for the rifle, Redding Competition dies and 400 pieces of brass.

Here it is "in use" (photo credit: Tom Austin of Predator Strikeforce):
Justinonstand.jpg

Last edited:
What is stamped on the barrel. I had a pre-Garcia 22-250 heavy barrel that had been re-stocked by Fajen. Never should have let that one get away. It was marked Bofors steel on the barrel and was an odd 23" long. Shot like crazy, in the .2 with factory Hornady ammo. Anyway If I got the trigger under about 2.5# the safety would no longer work. Sounds like a great piece, I sold mine ([beeep] school) for $1000 in 1994 in 95% condition

I have the exact same gun as you manufactured in 66 only mine is a 222 magnum. I believe they where called Vixen Varmint. I have found the odd one for sale but they are not very common by any means. You will love it they are a great gun. I paid $1350 Cdn. for my L461 222mag. in like new condition it had fired less than a 100rnds.
This past Friday I picked up a L46 heavy barrel in 222 and shot it for the first time today and with 4 shots at 100 I could easily cover them with a dime. I hate to see what it will do with proper load workup. For $650 Cdn. how could I go wrong? It also has a J.Ubertle (sp) 10x43 Vulture scope on it which is some what desirable in itself. It was a good day:p
Now I just need to find another mag for it and I will be set
smile.gif
so if anyone has one for sale I am interested!

Last edited:
My buddy have just the rifle you describe and it´s a Vixen Varmint and over here they are rare so if you get hold of one you dont let them go as they shoot too good!!

///Fredrik

Great rifle. I own the sporter L461 in 222mag, made in 1963.

The Sako triger is easy to adjust. The manual that Rednek gave a link to should show you how to do it.

Good Choice in rifles aftCG. I collect and shoot Sakos and I have several like the one in your photo. Only in 223, 22-250, 220 Swift. Hang on to your Sako! Grizz

Back