Working up a load for .22 Hornet

Ricky Bobby

I've decided to try reloading and the first caliber I will attempt will be my .22 Hornet. I'm in desperate need for more Hornet ammo because it's one of my favorites to shoot, plus since it's a smaller cartridge I figured it would be a good one to learn on. My Hornet is a Ruger 77/22 with the rotary style clip. I do use it when calling(not all the time) and would like to find a good load/round lethal on coyotes. I've been doing some research and think that my first load will be with either a 40gr. Speer SP or 45gr. Barnes XBT. I'm planning on using Hodgdon Lil'Gun for my powder and start with about 12gm. going up to about 13gm. Just thought I would share my thoughts to see if there are any Hornet users out there already using this load or possibly reccommend something else. Thanks everyone!

I currently am loading sierra 40 gr hp's in my 77/22 hornet with 13 gr of lil gun. Note, this is an over max load in the sierra manual, but not in hodgon's. be careful how long of a bullet you choose, it may not fit in the ruger's magazine, 40gr blitzkings won't work in mine, don't think the 45 gr barnes would work either. because of the small hornet case, i weigh every charge, and make sure to chamfer the case mouths to avoid crushing when seating the bullets. good luck!

One thing about the Hornet is choice of Primers. Some use the Small Rifle, and some have better luck with Small pistol primers. You may want to try both to see what works best for you. My K Hornet prefers the small pistol.

Yup, Seems small pistol primers, a crimp on the bullet (usually the Lee factory Crimp Die), and Lil Gun are all very popular with the guys who have wrung out Hornet loads. Good luck, and let us know how it works out!

Small PISTOL primers, 12.5 - 13.0 Lil Gun (whichever gives the best groups) and 35gr VMax did the best for us in our Ruger. Don't be afraid to use the 35 grain bullet. It will definitely do the job if you place the bullet in the vitals.

Hidalgo, you bring up a very good point! It has probably been 8-10 years ago but I used to buy my Hornet ammo from a vendor at one of the local gun shows. He loaded them with the v-max and they always shot pretty well! I took several coyotes with them. In fact, I was kind of upset when he quit coming to the shows and I couldn't easily buy his ammo anymore. I had forgotten all about his ammo until you just mentioned that! I might do some rethinking before I actually purchase my bullets for the reload. Does Lee offer a set of dies that would come with the crimping die, or is that always a seperate purchase?

hornady makes factory .22 hornet ammo loaded with the 35 gr v-max. My Lee dies came with the factory crimp die. H110 or W296 seem to give better velocities with the lighter bullets than lil gun, if you want to try the 35 gr v-max's.

I'm headed to Cabelas today and will be purchasing the RCBS RC Supreme Master reloading kit. I called them yesterday to make sure they had them in stock before I make the drive. I am kicking around the idea of purchasing the Lee dies instead of the RCBS! Guess it just depends what they all have. My goal is to get everything I need to start reloading for my Hornet and the rest of my calibers will just have to wait. I'll probably attempt .357 or .204 after that. I enjoy shooting them both, also.

H110 at 10.5 grains with a 40 gr. VMax works for me. Mine is a contender rifle version of the hornet. Don't forget to ream/chamfer the case mouth if you use flat based bullets, or they will crush some of your cartridges. I don't crimp, just not enough recoil.

Last edited:
My Hornet load is 12 gr lilgun small pistol primer 40 gr vmax i shoot these out of a cz 527 which i use the single shot adapter from Calhoon. My C.O.A.L is 1.833 my best 3 shot group so far is .482. I also use the Lee crimp die. Jim

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ricky BobbyWho all makes new brass for the Hornet?

We always used Winchester for new brass.

And about the crimping ... some do, some don't. I never saw the need, and when I did try it I personally saw no significant gain in accuracy ... although some people have.

Last edited:
Youll love reloading for the Hornet try H110 and IMR4227 I mostly use Win brass Win primer Serria 50gr. 45gr. 40gr. HP and SP and Hornady 35gr. V-max the powder I use most is H110 so give it a try. And I also like down loading the Hornet IMR4198 and SR4759 40gr. SP at 2,000fps. you don't need the 22 magnum anymore! And then theres cast bullets at 1,200fps! Our first production varmint round is still one of the best in my book.

Winchester, Remington, or Hornady are the most available brass, buy whichever you can find as I don't think there is a lot of difference in them. I like the Sierra 40 grain hornet bullet over 13.2 grains of Lil Gun. As I reccommended in a prior post, you will want the funnel kit with the 17 caliber drop tube, the hornet brass is thin enough that in some funnels you will have powder leak around the case and 13.2 grains of lil gun is a case full.

I also have the Ruger M77 in Hornet. I have the 20" barrel.

My rifle, and a buddy's identical rifle, both shoot very well. I use Lilgun powder and a small pistol primer. For coyotes, I add a 45gr Barnes XLC over 13.0grs Lilgun for about 2,900fps+.

Lilgun has some extreme velocity spreads with light bullets, and the SD's get better with heavier bullets.

Remington brass is a bit thinner and you should be able to get a few more tenth's of a grain of powder in them.

I use a Lee Collet Die to neck size, and have not tried a crimp.

My most accurate load is 11.7gr Lilgun, a 52gr Sierra HPBTM, and a Win small pistol primer. I get around 2,650fps with this load and excellent accuracy.

My Ruger likes 12.6-12.8 gr Lil Gun, CCI Small pistol primers, and a light to moderate crimp with the lee factory crimp die. I either use the 35 or 40 Vmax seated to magazine lenght and get sub 1/2 groups at about 2900 fps. I haven't experienced any extreme velocity spreads as mentioned, since I started crimping and using small pistol primers. My ES and SD's are very low now.

The 35 vmax shoots great and works on foxes and groundhogs, but past 100 yards it drops like a brick. The pointier 40 grain bullet flies true past 200 yards with ease. I have been told the 40 vmax may splash on coyotes, and I should try the 40 gr Sierra Blitz Kings or Nosler B-tips for tougher construction, but I don't plan on using the hornet for coyotes and haven't loaded any yet.

IMG_1884.jpg
Well, here is my setup I came home with from Cabelas yesterday. It's going to give me a great start into reloading! I'm completely setup to start with my Hornet and my .357. Everything else will come in time. Have to study my manuals and get a nice bench setup in the basement first. Only thing I noticed is that the guy behind the gun counter gave me both the wrong primers that I requested for each caliber. What is the number for the CCI small pistol primers everyone is using on the Hornet loads? Would you believe that with everything in the picture it only cost me $5 and some change! I had a couple gift certificates to burn up, plus Cabelas points I had been saving up for quite some time, and on top of that they give me their employee pricing discount! I'm sure they still made their money! I got the 35gr. V-Max's plus the H110 powder and if I can come up with some small pistol primers I will be ready to load my very first round of .22 Hornet. I'm so excited! I went with the H110 powder so that I can use it for my .357 rounds, also. Hopefully I'll get good results. I'll start my loads off on the lowside and work my way up and see what happens! Thanks guys for all the info!

Back