bdc vs mildot vs turrets

Tjkiller

Open country, yote HUNTING rifle, could double as a prairie rat rifle. Would you choose a mil dot reticle, bdc reticle, or elevation/windage turrets? or any combination. Your opinion is valued so please back it up.

I use Mil-Dots for my Prairie Dog shooting as the hold over ability is enhanced, as they very seldom are sitting at a specific distance, or for very long...

For Coyote hunting I prefer my plain old duplex reticle, as the others tend to be too busy and distracting when you are in a hurry..and I certainly don't usually have time to be spinning turrets...

If I were consistently shooting long ranges, the BDC reticle could be a benefit, provided I was willing to stick with the specific round for which they are usually set up...

I do, on occasion, use a circle dot reticle:

Mueller2-7Reticle-1.jpg

that I have on one of my optics, as it very fast for target acquisition when shooting with both eyes open...

Match your turrets to your reticle, moa moa or mil mil. I like shooters
moa the best. True 1" per 100 yards on the turrets and the reticle.

When hunting big game or coyotes I find anything but a duplex to be too busy. I tend to over think the shot if the range gets more than medium long.

Mil-dots are certainly the most flexible, I'm not a fan of them though. Never got the knack of doing the math properly.

BDC/Ballistic Plex styles are likely the most idiot proof. Somewhat limited mating within cartridge/bullet combos is my only reservation with them really.

The reticle I like best for poking holes in paper and sitting at a solid rest over gophers and such is a quarter minute target dot with fine cross hair. Turrets are necessary, of course, for best results.

Out of curiosity and having more money that day than sense I bought a Burris Eliminator scope. Naturally, I bought it late in fall and after mounting it on a 6.5/284 I haven't been able to experiment with it since. Too **** much snow and wind. I have a good feeling about it though.

Originally Posted By: bigwheeler Match your turrets to your reticle, moa moa or mil mil. I like shooters
moa the best. True 1" per 100 yards on the turrets and the reticle.
"True" MOA is 1.047" at 100yds. Obviously that's not alot of difference, but for the sake of information it needs to be said. Most people have no idea what MOA or Mil really is to begin with.

He's talking about "Shooter's" MOA (SMOA) which is a slang term for 1 inch per hundred yds. (IPHY). Another important concept to understand is the "slang" you hear all the time.

I'll take both reticles and turrets in any configuration 'cause i love the math and manipulation thereof.

For a combination PD/coyote rig though i'll take turret and reticle.

I like windage reticle reference. IMO, the VH reticle is one of the best out there along with an elevation turret for a combination rig. The reticle could be applied alone for coyotes and for more precision at longer ranges (PD's) the elevation turret could be spun along with the excellent 1.77 MOA windage stadia lines right along the reticle's horizontal axis.

Last edited:
I apologize...

I'll be back, I'm gonna go see if I can find a turret that's marked with "SMOA" on it. I'll post back when I actually find one....don't wait on me caue I feel it's gonna be a long search:)

Hey man sorry--didn't mean anything by the reply. Just wanted to point out that SMOA is also commonly used to actually mean IPHY.

It is interesting though that you point it out--i often find myself "bastardizing" MOA.

mil your dot. If you do enough shooting it easy to get the dots where you want them. Unless you use sscoyot dots then you better be drunk. Looks like connecting the dot scope.

Depends what I am shooting. Anything fast moving I prefer a German #4 or a simple duplex reticle.
At distance when I have time to think a combination of ranging reticle and turrets using ballistic software on my phone.
It all depends upon what you are shooting to me.

I use the Holland reticle in most of my Mark 4's, the drops are in 1.5 MOA (1.5moa - 30moa)and the turrets are 1/4 MOA. Easy to use and dial for precise settings/yardage.
I do have three mark 4's in the mildot reticle and a quick and easy way to use them with the 1/4moa turrets is to use the math of a mildot= 3.5" ( close enough for minute of coyote )>
I have a drop chart made with the yardages (+/-)for each dot , 3.5, 7, 10.5,14(")once ranged I can then add to the elevation by tuning the turrets for both windage an deleveation.
the drop charts are sealed in plastic and attached to each gun.
hshunter

I like target turrets best, with a plain old duplex. Tape drop chart to stock.

I also like the Nightforce NP-R1 and R2 reticles, moa/moa....

I use Mildot, actually the lepould TMR rectical on all my hunting rifles except 1. I like the ability to range with it. Now that I have found the new app for my phone, I think I will be able to use the Mil lines just as a BDC rectical. I also like the ability to be able to dial in a target. To me a Mil retical and "dialiable" knobs are the best of all of it and allow you to do anything you could do with any other scope and more.

I also like the TMR. The .2 mil lines allow for a very accurate system of reticle-rangefinding to a level of about .02 mil.

I wish Darrell Holland would have broke down 1 mil unit into .2 mil in his "Ultimate Mil Reticle". Then it would truly have been one of the ultimates--

HUMRDiagram.jpg

Originally Posted By: bfr4570mil your dot. If you do enough shooting it easy to get the dots where you want them. Unless you use sscoyot dots then you better be drunk. Looks like connecting the dot scope.

BFR that's the Vortex EBR-2 reticle. Maybe u oughtta' call them and tell them that folks need to be drunk to connect the dots in their reticle. I'm sure they would appreciate the comment.

Back