Got a Benelli MR1 for Christmas anyone shooting one and what loads to try?

Manitobamonster

I live up here in Canada and the Benelli is one of the very few legal for hunting black rifles we can use and being I wanted to try a Semi auto for calling this fit the bill. I was wondering if anyone on here is using one and if so what loads have you found that shoot well out of it?Best for me at the moment seems to be 52gr Berger the worst being 55gr Blitzking. I have only tried Benchmark so far but have some H335 loaded in a ladder to try with the 52gr to see how that works. Any help would be appreciated it has a 1-9 twist. Thx in advance

Not being a smart aleck, but I think you forgot to list the chambering of your new rifle. That'd help...
smile.gif

Howdy: I have a MR-1 and I like it,the Federal Premium 55 grain Barnes triple-shock is a pretty good round for me,tried the remington shell's did not do any good,with the Federal's I got better then 1 and a half inch groups at 50 yards with out useing a bench rest, just resting on the golf-cart wind shield.I think it will do better when it is broke in and reloading my own shells.It has never jamed on me, but my colt ar-15 has. You can go to youtube and put in benelli mr1 and find out more info. Your a lucky guy to get one,well I hope my 2 cents worth helps.

I have a 18.6" 1-9" twist barreled RA XCR-L in 223 I emailed Walt Berger and asked which of his bullets he would recommend for varmint/coyote hunting, plinking/target shooting etc.

He emailed back saying I should try his 50gr & 52gr bullets which surprised me because everything I had heard is that a 1-9" twist rate shoots 60gr - 69gr bullets the best.

I didn't have time to buy any of his bullets yet but it got me thinking so I started working on loads from 40gr - 62gr and was totally surprised to come up with an extremely accurate 40gr V-Max @ 3250fps load.

Shot 3 coyotes last week with the 40gr V-Max/XCR-L combo from bottom to top shots were 135 yards/40 yards/60 yards all were instant DRT.

So I am thinking you should be trying lighter bullets as well.

img_4254.jpg

sadly the gun was returned the barrel was badly pitted and after only 67 rounds through it you could no longer get a patch through it due to copper buildup. The shop owner had to let it sit over night with wipeout in it then Sweets the next day several times to get clean enough to be able to even borescope to see what was going on
frown.gif
He said I have seen 20 year old guns with better barrels than this. We could not switch barrels as the are serial # to the receiver. SO he gave back the $ for it and was good about it all. Thx for all your replies though
smile.gif
Happy New Year!

Back