any coyotes left in illinios ??????

liv2hunt

I hunt in southern il, went out this morning for about the 5th time this month and can't even get a look at a coyote. I was wandering if they are still eating deer carcases left over from the shotgun seasons, or if i'm doing something wrong.Out of the 5 days hunting have probly made about 20 sets, never had a dry spell like this before.

What part of SI are you hunting? I have noticed in years past that there is a lull after deer season. Always figured the same thing you do, leftovers from deer season. I'm at SIUE this year so I've only been able to get out a couple of times. Hand luck one night but didn't get a shot, it hung up at about 200+ yrds, out of range of my light. Keep at it. Member the colder the better. At least thats what I've found.

i'm in the far south east tip (massac county). I've noticed the same in the past, but usually not this bad. I supose they're just not hungry yet.

Have you tried just using coyote vocalizations?Using them will trigger a territorial response,even with a full stomach,coyotes dont like strange dogs araound.

been four times and have had dogs too come in each time. Will some one explain to me how can you tell the differance between a male and female howl or bark!!!!
"Male sounds have a time and place" why is that!

There are plenty of dogs in southern Illinois. We called in five killable coyotes last Tuesday (killed three). That day we saw 10. They were really running...not sure why...it was cold and cloudy...that probably had something to do with it.

We hunted the next day and it was real cold, but sunny and clear. We only saw two coyotes and none came charging in to the call. We jumped the gun on one stand where one was coming and we stopped too soon. Hang in there and change things up a little. We usually start stands with a rabbit distress, but called in 4 of the 5 killable dogs with coyote vocalizations (coyote pup distress and Ki Yi's).

We can't kill them here in Illinois, but we've been seeing LOTS of cats too. Hopefully our state will open up a season before long.

Last edited:
I'm east of benton about 7 miles and I've seen dogs every time I've been out had to change up a bit and move closer to bedding areas than I normally like to, but its been working. I've been using vocals and there coming in real nervous but they seal there fate inside 300. Weather has been super weird and windy here its been a battle but that's hunting. Shot a coyote thursday morning that was as red as a fox its my profile picture check him out.

Flat Land Coaxer,
You can hunt them during the late season firearms season if your wear orange hat and vest. The restriction on hunting with unfilled deer permits only applies to the November and early December firearms seasons.

Closed Nov. 19-20 and through 6 p.m. Nov. 21 and closed Dec. 2-4
and through 5 p.m. Dec. 5 in counties open for firearm deer hunting.

Back