Remington 700 VLS .243

johnc427

Anybody have one or have any opinions? Gonna be used for coyotes and target shooting. Looked like a great gun though on the heavy side.... but so are the rest of my rifles
thumbup1.gif

Thanks!

Last edited:
They're usually shooters if ya like heavy guns.
And the 243 will definatly get the job done as long as you aren't to interested in the hides. It'll also double as a good Deer rifle for those little Blacktails ya'll have in NW Oregon.
as long as "YOU" like it,,, I'd say get it.
Luck

I have had one for about 10 years now and it's my go-to rifle if I need something dead. My rifle is extremely accurate. It wears a older B&L Elite 6-24x40 scope. I have shot sub 3" groups at 500 meters on several occasions and it will do under an inch at 200 with boring regularity with several different bullets. It is as-is from factory, not bedded, with only a trigger job, done by me.

My favorite loads: (all use Laupa Brass and CCI BR2 primers)

58 Vmax over IMR3031, not very fast (3550 fps) but very accurate, although the wind gets 'em past 350 yards. Should be a great yote bullet.

87 Vmax over a stiff load IMR4064. This is my most accurate load in this gun. I've killed PD's out to 679 yards with it and several hundred groundhogs out to a little over 500. Haven't connected on any yotes yet with this one, but hit bone under 300, it's gonna be messy.

100 gr Sierra BTSP over a stiff load of IMR4064, my deer load. I't's been used to shoot antelope, mule deer and whitetails out to 250 yards, never more than a 1 shot kill.

Originally Posted By: johnc427Anybody have one or have any opinions? Gonna be used for coyotes and target shooting. Looked like a great gun though on the heavy side.... but so are the rest of my rifles
thumbup1.gif

Thanks! awesome . i have way too many heavies i love them. 37-38 grain of varget or I4064 , lapua brass, 85 sierra bthp, or 87 horn, or 88 berger or 87 berger . all shoot great. adjust the trigger put a good scope you are ready to go.

I love that gun, Have one with a cheepy 3x9 remmington scope and have never had a problem killing any dogs under 500 yards. at 300 or less its goledn with anything over a 58grain load

I had one for awhile, shot 58 grain v-max's into nice little groups. Took mine out to Montana for a prairie dog hunt, love the explosion from the .243 on them dogs
thumbup.gif
. I miss the rifle, but I dont miss carrying it around. It was a little on the heavy side for me. Plus it was such a pretty rifle, I never wanted to take it out in the woods.

Many 243's can be picky or finicky IMO. I had a 243 VLS, it was a pig to carry, gave it to my brother for a Christmas present. He likes the heavy rifles.

Thanks for all the advice everybody. sounds like i'll be ordering one one come Friday when i get paid. I'll let everybody know how it shoots when i get a chance. Thanks again.

John

Love mine!!

She's a tank but a VERY accurate tank. Not real fur friendly with typical factory ammo. You'll need to reach into your bag of tricks to find that round.

On the bench... Running 100-105's it's a lazer beam! I hope to take her to out to 1K next summer. YMMV but I'm happy with mine!!
thumbup1.gif

love it
bit on the heavy side but its a shooter outer shooters love the look of it and all want to try it out. owned mine for about 7 years just a good today as when new .buy one you will not regret it.

I had one, pretty heavy rig like others have said. the one I had would really flatten the primers and the bolt would be sticky. thats with factory rem ammo in 100 Gr. Probably a fluke, my other rems have been good.

I have one and had it cut down to a 22' bbl. and it will shoot everything from a 55gr. NBT up to a 105gr. A-Max super tight.

I mainly run a 70gr. Nosler BT on top of 42grs. of Varget. It loves the Varget powder and so far I am very well pleased with it.

My .223 VLS has been tweeked some but I find it perfect for prairie dogs, coyotes, badgers, and jackrabbits as long as I don't have to carry it very far from a rest. Next to my Rock River Varmint 24, Its my favorite rifle.

100_0543.jpg
100_0540.jpg
100_0534.jpg

I'm shooting the factory winchester balistic silvertips in 55 gr out of my vls and what a sweet dog rig. It is on the heavy side but if you like watching your hits the weight is a big plus. I bought mine in october and I think I'm at 11 kills without a miss. The 55s are very easy on pelts as well and they are like spitting lazer beams out there. Buy the gun, you wont be disappointed.

T

Right on thanks for all the opinions it's always reassuring to hear good things about a rifle you want. Just placed the order through a friend and should be here in 5 days with bases and rings. Now all I need to figure out is a scope and good load. Thinking of using Berger 87g bullets like listed above and a 6.5-20 Vari X 3 scope. If anybody has any .243 loads that would be great. Thanks again!

John

Back