howa problems

I just bought a used howa 1500 bull barrel 243 been lightly used, beautiful gun but cant get it to shoot a tight group for nothing, i've been shooting the new hornady superformance 80 gran gmx and the best i'm getin is an 1inch at hundred, most f the time its 2 inch, does anybody have any suggestions?

Just a guess but it's probably the factory ammo causing the large groups, You could check the the action screws, and for any tight spots between the barrel and foream but I believe they are factory freefloated. Another option would be to use some wipe-out and see if the barrel has copper fouling.

I've found with several of my .243s that it either HATES a load/round or it LOVES it.

I would definitely try a different combo.

Originally Posted By: Critter Gitter12I just bought a used howa 1500 bull barrel 243 been lightly used, beautiful gun but cant get it to shoot a tight group for nothing, i've been shooting the new hornady superformance 80 gran gmx and the best i'm getin is an 1inch at hundred, most f the time its 2 inch, does anybody have any suggestions?

Try some different ammo. I have found the Superformance Ammo to be hit or miss. Got one rifle that loves it and another that does not.

I agree...Try different ammo....My .243 groups 2 inches with federal 75 grains and barely half an inch with remington 80 grain hollowpoints....Whey you find some factory ammo that works for you, that's when you've got to drop some dough and stock up....

Keep in mind factory ammo doesn't have to be the most expensive stuff out there to group well...Over the years for a variety of different rifles I've always enjoyed great performance from Remington Express ammo and more often than no it groups pretty well....

I had a Howa in 6.5X55, and the best it would do was a 2 to 3 inch group at a 100 yards....regardless of the ammo I tried, factory or reloads. Howa took it back an sent me another rifle. That one was better, but not by a lot. With my best reloads, it was certainly accurate enough for deer hunting.

I would give the same advise for remington core-loc ammo. I have had misfires with a lot of differnt calibers Unfortunatly, my 243 shoots it better than anything else I've tried. But I always try it as a last resort.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogSuperformance ammo sucks. Try some Hornady. Shoots bug holes in my buddy's 243. Stay away from Remington core-loc also.

Hornady makes the superformance.

Ya, I know. Its early. I meant to finish with some of the Hornady custom stuff, but the brain was going faster than the fingers. My Bad! Just haven't seen alot of accuracy out of the superformance stuff.

yeah, diff ammo.

i have a howa 1500 243 and out of 7 or 8 factory loads i have tried it likes the federal 80 gr soft points the best. one hole 5 shot groups at 100 yds. the others all shot 1 in to 3 in 5 shot groups.

would have liked to shoot the 58 gr molys but it shot them like a shotgun pattern!!

ill stick with the old soft points!!

As mentioned, try different ammo. Different weights and bullet types. I have found one ammo that every one of my guns shoots accurately. Not always the best for that rifle, but always very good or the best. Rem Core-Lokts. As you can see from others responses, YMMV.

Never dis-qualify a bad shooting rifle till you've tried at least 8 different commercial loads. Not a rule just a number I threw out there...
laugh.gif

Good luck.

I guess everyone's experience is different, but my experience doesn't dovetail with the guys that don't get good performance with the Remington Express/Corelokt stuff...

I've shot 1,000s of rounds of this stuff out of four different rifles in .243, .308, 7mm and .300 Win Mag and I've never had a problem with performance or reliability and it is one of the least expensive ammos out there...

The bottom line is that you've got to try several different types of ammo and see what works best for you....

Back