Tonight's Varmints

Flyrod1

The scourge have returned to damaging some of our hunting properties. So I went out tonight to see if I could interrupt some of their activities!
These were my victims tonight:
121710PIGS003.jpg

121710PIGS007.jpg

The war has just begun for this Winter! So many piggies, so little time!
laugh.gif

F1

Nice going Flyrod.

They are beginning to get a start back here too.

A neighbor's trail camera got this one last year, within about a mile of my house.

Hog.jpg

Ben, yep, we've got them. It's just a matter of time before they become more scattered throughout the state. We have some back here in the mountains, but not a lot. I've heard of people shooting some.

Originally Posted By: sharkathmiWay to go Flyrod!!
thumbup.gif

Man I wish we had wild pigs here.

You got some good eatin' there.

Now go git ya some more!!
==========================================================
NO YOU DON'T!!!
scared.gif
These things are a scourge on the land! Once the "neato" factor of having another animal to hunt wears off, people begin to realize how destructive these things are! They wreck havoc on agricultural crops, carry and spread disease, and compete very successfully with indigenous wildlife for food! Yes the smaller ones are good eating, but I'd rather we didn't have them at all!

David, If they havn't really taken hold in your area, get out there and kill them off! You'll eventually be sorry if you don't control them! You've got to kill at least 75% of every litter just to keep the population neutral!
We're screwed, we'll never be rid of them!
F1

Quote:NO YOU DON'T!!!
scared.gif
These things are a scourge on the land! Once the "neato" factor of having another animal to hunt wears off, people begin to realize how destructive these things are! They wreck havoc on agricultural crops, carry and spread disease, and compete very successfully with indigenous wildlife for food! Yes the smaller ones are good eating, but I'd rather we didn't have them at all!
F1 - You are right!
It is the "neato" factor that has my attention. Plus the good meat.
But you are right, they are destructive to the land and to the habitat and I should be thankful we don't have them here.
Other than positive comments about the meat they provide, I've not heard a good word about them.
Thanks for a moment of clarity.
Mark

They are fun to hunt and I think the meat is better than a deer or elk. I wish there were places to go that are closer to utah that has em.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Ben, yep, we've got them. It's just a matter of time before they become more scattered throughout the state. We have some back here in the mountains, but not a lot. I've heard of people shooting some.

6mm06 if I see one over this way I will be hunting it down for sure. I dont really want to see those things around here. Im suprised there not here already.

I interrupted two more young boars since then....no pics, no camera! I prefer the young ones to venison, but still wish we didn't have them!
F1

I went on pig watch solo tonight. The pigs were already out when I arrived shortly after dark. There were at least a half dozen, but they must have heard me coming, because when I turned on the light, they scattered offering no good shot.
Four hours, and cold toes later, this sow showed up solo:
BIGSOW123010004.jpg

BIGSOW123010001.jpg

The shot was just under 100 yards with the xlr 250 red light. The sow is in the 160-170 pound class. I had to call a friend to help me get her into the truck, and I rewarded him with the pig....my freezer is full
thumbup1.gif

F1

Seems like more and more states are beginning to have problems with ferals. Great for folks like us who like to hunt but definately an animal that causes a huge amount of damage.

Your really bringing home the bacon! I used to think it would be neat to have feral hogs to shoot. Now after everything I have read I hope we don't get them. There is a small batch around stockton lake. I still think I seen one about 30 miles from the house one day in a field. Good job and keep putting the smackdown on them.

Its only a matter of time before they get to my neck of the woods. Ive heard that they are about 100 miles to the south. The 338-378WBY is itchin to get at em.

We scored again tonight! Blueridgeboy got his largest to date!
CharlesSow1411017.jpg

She weighed close to 200#, This is number nine in three weeks!
F1

Originally Posted By: sharkathmiWay to go Flyrod!!
thumbup.gif

Man I wish we had wild pigs here.

You got some good eatin' there.

Now go git ya some more!!

i was thinking the same thing, would be fun to hunt year round.

Back