noobies got Black Rifle fever.

the noobie

I sit on here and look at all the fancy things being done with peoples Ar-15's and variants so ive decided that this summer if i get a job and enough money next september when i turn 18 in getting me an AR...

I know this has been asked a lot but in everyones own opinions what is the best way to get started into the AR world? buy a factory gun or buy the parts and build your own? extreme accuracy doesnt bother me as long as it can shoot minute of squirrel im happy.

Cost isnt a big issues but either way i go i want to spend $1000+/- for the gun and i know there arent many factory options in the price range.

Oh and it would need to be a flat top so i can get a scope mounted on it

I was in your shoes a year ago. i ended up buying a DPMS lr-204. I put a timney trigger in it and it easliy shoots sub MOA at 200 yds.

The cheapest way to get way get into the AR community is look around for good parts for sale when they are cheap. I waited about 6 months buying parts here and there and put mine together for almost half of what the same gun brand new from the factory would have cost. It takes a while so don't get in any big hurry but there are great deals to be had out there. The classified here are a great place to shop also.

coyoteman23

Noobie, Right now, if you can swing it, there are some reasonably good stripped lowers available at a better than average price...http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/1560.php..

Putting one together over a period of time is the most cost effective way to go and you can be pretty sure of having what you really want with some of the overall savings going to upgrades on the important things.... Barrel and trigger quality...

It's just my opinion, but free floating the barrel on an AR is questionable, if you have a quality barrel to start with.. I have two that are free floated and two that are not...The one that is not and has an upgrade on the barrel shoots as well as the free floated custom upper...with the exception of the choice of optic, everything else put into an AR is strictly personal choice, but not really necessary for excellent performance..

Bad thing about building for you is I don't believe you can buy a lower being 18 because it could be used as a pistol. Just something to look at.

some lowers are registered as rifles at the factory, there are three ways a receiver can be logged at a factory,
1.rifle
2.pistol
3.other / virgin receiver

Olympic Arms K-16 with 16" bull barell can be had for $581 plus tax on the cheap side. Usually around $650 other places I have seen it.

DPMS does look like they turn out some decent guns but whats everyones opinions?

ive been playing around on ar15builder.com and its quite fun and it gives me the price range i can expect to pay for parts if i go with building one myself

and can a free float handguard ruin the accuracy? because personally i like the looks of the free float ones more than the non floated

Last edited:
i honestly am thinking about going for factory. something like this.

DPMS website

Only thing i dont like is it is a heavy gun i already have my R700 with the heavy bull barrel and its nice but it gets a little heavy so an AR would double as my light gun and the gun i showed above isnt too light

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: the noobieDPMS does look like they turn out some decent guns but whats everyones opinions?

and can a free float handguard ruin the accuracy? because personally i like the looks of the free float ones more than the non floated

You won't be sorry with a DMPS and you want a Free float on there they help you with accuracy!

My advice is buy one complete from a good company and then after you see how they work and get a good feel for them you can build your own down the road!

I personally think you would be smart to buy a rock river or even better the stag arms brand.The stags are around 800.00 but there machining is real nice.Collecting parts without knowing what is good or what isnt could get you into trouble,especially if you dont really know how to put one together.

I have the K16 and have been very happy with it, same thing as the sweet 16, just no shiny barrel and quite a bit cheaper LOL

Good luck

Dave

Alot of pride in building your own.,if the parts are right ,they will shoot with most customs.

The first i built,im pictured with,,sports a 20"shilen fluted bull barrel,,heavy,yes,,deadly...also yes....X

Back