Are Bloodhounds good for mountain lion hunting

shepherd0610

I have been trying to find black and tans to train to chase cats. but can't find any pups in colorado.

came into a good deal with a pair of bloodhound pups. just not sure if they enough endurance to chase cats.

any help or info would be great. curious if other hunters use them.

thanks
Dan

Dan,
I think they are a little slow from what most guys that have tried them have told me. I have a female here that is a 1/4 blood hound and 3/4 plott and she is a track straddler and not real speedy but has a [beeep] of a nose,She works real good on these dry grond lions to freshen up a track but gets left in the dust on a fresh one. The guy i got her from told me that 1/4 is about as much as they could stand before they got to slow,and he has been expermenting with them for awhile now.I know a couple of other guys that have experamented with them a little and they all said about the same thing.
Steve
Call Bridger Patrine in Raton he may know where theres some pups

Last edited:
I would not do the bloodhound thing. They are no good for lion hunting. I know Bridger has some dogs for sell right now. I too would give him a call, you will get quality dogs from him.

I can get you Bridgers number if you need it. He lives here in the same town and we know each other. He has some good dogs and they get alot of work. He runs quite a few cats and bears too.

Dan, ditto what these guys are all saying. The reason you don't see houndsmen using bloodhounds is because they just don't work. If they did, I assure you, every houndsmen out there would already have them. Be patient and get the right dog, you'll be way ahead in the end.

thanks for all the information. I figured they would be to slow. but the pups are real goodlooking pups.

gonzaga- if you have the phone number for Mr. Bridger Patrine would be great. would like to call and talk to him.

Devin69-thanks for the pics of your dogs. real interested in them.

Getting myself all worked up seeing all these cats come into my shop this fall. want to chase my own cat with my own dogs.

thanks
Dan

cfishman blood hounds will and do open on track. we have one femal that will runn the [beeep] out of a coon and bark every step of the way. that beeing said she is slower than death. we have never tryed her on bear and dont plan on it.

shepherd0610 does it have to be a black and tan. we run with a guy in montana and we both have blues and they do realy well. last year we treed 7 cats in 6 days. and this year we did 6 cats in 8 days with two days we didnt realy hunt. if u would be intrested in some blues i kwno a guy in montana that has realy good dogs.

Hounded- I'm willing to get into any good dogs. all I have ever been with is Black and Tan crosses. ran real good.
heard lots of good stuff about blues. if you have some info on where to get a some blues all information is greatly appreciated.

thanks
dan

ya thats all we have run forever. dont know if you have evere hured of Bill green. Well thats my great grandfather. he ranblues for ever all over the world. http://www.biggamehoundsmen.com/index.php
check this website out and you can find just about anything you will need. We found a brother to one of our best dogs in BC a few weeks ago. they have it all and i will see ifi can find the number to the guy in montana

There is a great article in the November issue of The Hunters Horn called "an authority on mountain lions." If you can find it, I would recommend it to EVERYONE. Especially houndsmen.

Back