Preserving Fox Tails

SpeedwayRN

Anyone have a quick and easy way to preserve/tan fox tails? I have two I would like to keep. They are pulled from the tailbones and muscles already.

Thanks

Just split the tails and put non-iodized salt on the flesh. After a couple of weeks, just shampoo and blow dry them when your wife is out of the house.

Bob

The only problem with it is you can't (or shouldn't) digest it.
Iodine is put in salt to make it safe for human consumption.

Non iodized salt is and has been, recommended for tanning for quite some time. The reason being; not only does it lack the iodine, but there are other chemicals added to iodized salt to prevent clumping, etc. which combined have been known to raise havic with PH levels, and white fur or hair on some hides.

For salt drying hides, and I don't mean tanning either or is fine. The biggest concern would be to find something that is of a fine enough grade to do what it's being use for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ANOTHER MEDHOD OF PRESERVING ANY HIDE IS TO USE 20 MULE TEAM BORAX FROM THE DETERGENT AISLE OF ANY GROCERY STORE. BORAX IS THE MAIN INGREDIENT IN MOST OF THE DRY PRESERTVATIVES THAT TAXIDERMISTS USE. IT WILL LEAVE A STIFF HIDE, NOT GARMENT QUALITY BUT FOR A WALL HANGING OR TAXIDERMY IT IS GREAT.

Welcome to Predator Masters callak9.

I need to ask you to remove the "all caps" when posting. It appears as though your yelling. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Sorry about that. It was early in the morning after calling and by the time I had noticed I got lasy and didnt change it. Wont happen again.

I dabbled in taxidermy when I was younger and I remember the Borax (I had actually forgotten about it until mentioned here), I think we did a crow and used it to help preserve the hide.

BF

Not in California but, there's two in Ohio, three in Pennsylvania, and one in Minnesota, Ontario, Missouri, Mississippi, Michigan, and Colorado. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Using salt or Borax for a fox tail really isn't all that good of an idea. Salt will only remove the moisture contant from the skin. It does tighten the hair follicles in the skin and is the first process in tanning. But your only going to end up with a dryed up tail that is vulnerable to humitity and moisture. The tail will eventually fall apart. Borax will preserve the tail for you but then again you're going to end up with a rock hard piece of skin that will end up cracking and falling apart.
You can tan it yourself and the process really isn't all that hard. It may sound complicated, but if you follow the insturction on tanning, you'll end up with a beautiful tail that can withstand handling and last for years.
Tanning it's self really isn't all that difficult. It requires 1.)salting 2.) rehydrating 3.)pickle bath 4.)Shaving down the hide (not necessary for a tail) 5.)neutralizing 6.)tanning 7.)oiling
Hope this helps you out on your tail....Good luck

Back