Berger Bullets

TNYotehntr

Curious if anyone has used the Berger "Target" bullets in the .223's or .22-250's. I've used the "Varmint" style but had trouble with bullet "splash"... then found out folks were using the "target" type in their 17 remy's for coyote's. I've used 'em in my 17rem on one coyote so far but was wondering about using the "target" style in my 22-250. My intention is for coyotes/bobcats... hoping for minimal pelt damage... I've used the hornady's and nosler ballistic tips ...the 22-250 plays kinda rough with 'em. lol

Not in 223 but I have been using the 95gr VLD target in my 243 with good results on predators DRT and not blown to pieces. They seem to hold together well if you are running into splashes. I have never had problems with 35gr and 40gr 204 splashing or the 40gr 22cal. Berger varmint. Odd that you are getting that many. Maybe a bad batch?

From what i understand the varmint match and target match have the same jacket. Even though they are the same bullet people would not use the target match for hunting. So berger started boxing up hunting match/varmint match and then target match. But from what i understand they are the same bullet. Now i do know on the 6mm 105vld the target mach has a little higher BC then the hunting vld. Unless i got a older batch and they were different. I belive i read this on bergers web site about them being the same bullet. Berger wanted to ease the minds of hunters who did belive in useing target bullets for hunting. I know one thing berger bullets hit hard and put animals on the ground. I use the 25cal and 6mm vlds and have never had a complaint. A friend of mine just switched to 64gr bergers in his 22-250 ackley. And they shoot extremely well. He has not shot a coyote yet but we will have some results hopefully soon on how they work.

I am pretty sure the target bullets have a thicker jacket,& the hunting is the original VLD.I have used a 140 VLD(264 WM) on deer for years,but I have a buddy(heard they were the same) picked up the target bullets for 270WSM,he shot a doe that got 0% expansion,penciled right thru her. He found her, thanks to shot placement.

In the smaller calibers the all use the same jacket. The match bullet just has a smaller hollow point. In the big game bullets I don't know. But I have been using berger match bullets on coyotes for about 25 years. There is no finer bullet for this purpose. I always used the 50's, and 52's very rarly a exit. This was in a 223 mostly. But a few was in a 22/250.

AWESOME! Thanks for all the input guys! That's exactly the info I was wanting to hear. Guess I'll be giving the 52 gr's a go! Trying to resurrect a 22-250 that's been sleeping in the safe to long.
smile.gif

All Bergers:55 grain in my 223 WSSM, 66 gr HBCFB in my 6 BR , 69 gr HBCFB in my 243 WSSM and the 87 gr in my 25 WSSM. all super accurate and deadly.
hshunter

Back