How to sell coyote fur in MT?

songdogslayer

Does anyone know where I can sell coyote pelts in the Northeastern MT area? How well do I have to "prepare" the pelt in order to sell it. I'd like to be able to simply skin it, flesh it and sell it . . . any suggestions? Will I need to skin / flesh / stretch / tan? I'm in the "business" for the sport and because I have land owners asking me to clean up on their coyotes; I'm not in the business for the "joy" of stretching and tanning the pelts. Maybe someday soon I will take up the hobby of fully preparing pelts, just not today. Advice is much appreciated.

to fully prepare a coyoe hide for sale dose not include tanning skin, flesch, stretch and let it dry, then sell

Yeah, you got two options songdogslayer. Flesh it stretch and dry it. Or...freeze em raw until the sale.
Check with your buyer and see what he's given for put up fur before you go through the effort. Sometimes it's not worth it.

Last fall there were a couple of buyers advertising in the Billings Thrifty Nickel. One of them was north of Billings. I haven't seen anything yet this year.

Songdog,

If you stretch and dry and are interested in North American Fur Auctions (Canadian Auction), let me know. I'm the shipping agent in North Dakota and do pick up from a few folks in eastern Montana. You can either mail or UPS, or my route runs over to Williston. Let me know if you're interested and I can send you more detailed information. "tischrc@ndak.net"

Catch 'ya, Rick

songdogslayer
You're in the same boat I'm in. I don't know any fur buyers in this area yet. My main concern is just preping the hides. There's more work to it than I first thought. Fur buyers are on the back burner for now. If you have any questions about the prepping, look in All Predator Calls and buy a video called Hunting and Skinning for Profit by Blaine Eddy. It's the very best out there if you want to sell fur. Good luck.

Rick
I may send you an e-mail about that soon, got a few questions.

Brad

The best fur buyer in Montana is John Hughes. I think he is near Roundup. I think he calls his buying company J.M. furs. He probably comes to your area, as he sends buyers around all over Montana and Wyoming.

if you are already skinning and fleshing the dogs you are about 2 minutes from another 5 bucks. Let it dry on the board and you can send it anywhere you want.

Brad,

Gotcha, whenever you're ready. If you know a few folks in eastern Montana and can organize a half or full day get-to-gether, I'll come over and do a fur handling seminar on what ever critters you want done. Let me know if you're interested.

Catch 'ya, Rick

Rick,
That was a pretty kind offer to make.
What would I have to do to talk you into starting a new topic and annoucing the fact that your willing to hold such a seminar?
I think a lot of members would be interested, and you know as well as I do that it would benefit you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jim

Rick
That would be awsome but, I don't think I could get the numbers together at the same time, in fact it's just me and two or three others I can think of. However, if a seminar can be set up in the North Dakota area, I'd go out of my way to make it. You ought to take up River Runner on that idea. Pick a central area, I'll bet a lot of people would go.

Brad

Brad,

I'll keep you and the other folks posted as things develop this winter. I know we'll have a seminar near Bismarck towards the end of February, and I'm pimping the the other three districts of the North Dakota Fur Hunters and Trappers Association to have one too.

Jim,

Whatever it takes - I'd be happy to do a seminar anywhere in North Dakota or eastern Montana. I'd need some help with getting/setting up a location for the day and some critters to handle. The seminars are a lot of fun and it's good to get folks together for a day to share information.

Catch 'ya, Rick

Rick,
When you say you may need help getting/setting up a location, does that mean you need a place to hold said seminar? Or you could use some help setting up the place to hold one?

Jim,

It's a little bit of both. Identifying a location with a facility, and then a couple of folks to help set tables, chairs, volunteers for a bit of lunch, and so on. I know the one we've scheduled for Bismarck will have some fur handling, a couple of winter trapping/snaring demos, and a rifle shoot. Should be a fun day.

Catch 'ya, Rick

Back