New guy help...y

1ShotKill

This is my first attempt at coyote trapping and i'm having some troubles. The traps i use are Bridger 1.65 coil springs. I boiled them to take off the oil and scent. We have about a foot of snow here right now and about 4-5 inches where my one set is. I watched the area for a couple weeks and coyotes constantly went through there. I have checked it every 2 to 3 days and have had no tracks or anything. Should i use any scent lures or covers? somehow did i get my scent on the traps? I did where gloves putting the stuff out and didn't touch them with bare skin.

Thanks for the help.

Originally Posted By: 1ShotKillThis is my first attempt at coyote trapping and i'm having some troubles. The traps i use are Bridger 1.65 coil springs. I boiled them to take off the oil and scent. We have about a foot of snow here right now and about 4-5 inches where my one set is. I watched the area for a couple weeks and coyotes constantly went through there. I have checked it every 2 to 3 days and have had no tracks or anything. Should i use any scent lures or covers? somehow did i get my scent on the traps? I did where gloves putting the stuff out and didn't touch them with bare skin.

Thanks for the help.

sounds like coyotes are being coyotes you mite try another location where fresh sighn is. you dont need cover scent trying to fool a animals nose is like asking a blind man what he saw today. coyotes can be there today and gone tommrow have had sets sit over a month before they had connected. they simply moved could be a number of things.food source, breeding season pups left the family to find territorys of there own and breed (one would be startled on how far a coyote actualy travels along and outside his "boundrys")the list can go on. u might try dyeing and waxing your traps but i have myself and known many good trappers who have caught coyotes from pups to wary old dogs without dye or wax.
good luck if you have any questions pm id be glad to help any way i can

I would wax the traps at least to help prevent rust and cut down on the scent of the steel, even though you've boiled the oil off, the smell of the steel is still there, wax also helps the traps to fire quicker and smoother. I've had one set out here in Ga. for over a month. I thought about pulling it yesterday and decided to pull it today. I had been luring and baiting it up when I would check my line but had no hits.......until last night..it was clear and cold...and a coyote dug up my dirthole, missed the trap pan but the bed looked like a bomb went off.....I put in a deep dirthole and he had to really dig to get his snozz in there to get to the bait, if you are on sign and coyotes are you target animal, they will teach you patience unlike any other animal. we can trap yotes year round here in Ga.(which is what I do). but sometimes it takes up to a week even if you're on good sign for them to get the courage up to start working a set....set upwind of the trail or scat or tracks, bed the trap as solid as you can, lure it up and be patient. I can throw out a trap and catch a fox in a day or two....they don't call em wiley for nuthin'.Oh, and wear rubber boots and keep your scents and urine separate from your trapping tools.....use gloves to set the traps but change them to put the bait or lure in...go on Youtube and put in "how to set traps for coyotes" there is a ton of info and videos showing you just how to do it, I still go back and check them now and then........

Last edited:
Yotes are a tricky critter to get in a trap. I second the waxing dosn't take long for a trap to start rusting and get slow. Check out trapperman.com You'll love that site and if you want to learn trapping A-1. Can you use uncovered bait? Try putting out a good bunch of bait. They will work it and clean it up. Keep a eye on it and when its gone go in and bed traps right where bait pile was and stay back on your checks. Ive been havinig a hard time geting a yote iin a trap. Just started trying that tactic and it is staring to pay off. They will keep coming back and digging at it. Just bed your traps and blend it good and dont go near them. Check them from a distance

scent control lol here we go
dont sweat the small crap and remember k.i.s.s.

location location location you will not make the catches if you are not on it

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chilsonscent control lol here we go

Until you learn to catch them you do need to sweat the small stuff.
And with experience then you can start cutting corners.
TS

Originally Posted By: ToadstickerOriginally Posted By: Chilsonscent control lol here we go

Until you learn to catch them you do need to sweat the small stuff.
And with experience then you can start cutting corners.
TS

no saying cutting corners simply stateing you need to focus on the basics location trap beding and placement. if a man is paranid on his scent hes allready lost the game. keep it simple stupid focus on location learn to read your sighn animal habits and locations and use it to dictate the set you make. there are no big "secrets" here. why over complicate it. the best way learn is bye doing. successfull trappers become succesful from hands on experience dedication and hard work. ive said enoughf but if i can stress just one thign to a begginign trapper is focus on location proper trap bedding and location you CANNONT eliminate human odor and do not beleive it. get the basics and learn bye doing and you will be succesful
my 2 cents

Last edited:
Hey toadsticker, theres a big difference between the coyotes in Colorado and the ones in Mich and Ohio. your coyotes are Yippy yotes and dont associate with humans. the coyotes here relie on humans for survival.

scent control isnt as important here as it is out there. the coyote here is used to crossing paths with humans everyday and they even follow us in the snow to see what we are doing in their territory. I have pics of where they walked my trapline in my boot prints.

now my advise to the new trapper. MAKE SURE YOU TRAP IS BEDDED SOLID AND WONT FREEZE IN, that is the most important part of K9 trapping have a good bait in the hole and he will work it til he gets caught. I dont care who you are or how long you have been trapping, or how good of a trapper you think you are, you will never make a set and not let a K9 know you was there, it aint going to happen, they have to great of a nose to be fooled. in 24 hours your scent will disperse and they will then forget you was there and remember they smelled something good in that hole and will come back on their next trip through and hit the set to get what was there, if nothing else has beat them to it.

good luck and happy trapping,

Thanks for the helP guys. I'm also going after fox, not just coyote. I've heard of people having alot of luck On scent post or dirt hole trap sets. I think I will trythat instead of just blind sets. Also where can I get waxfor the traps? And how exactly do you make a dirthole set?

you can buy wax from any supply dealer
like minnesota trapline products
cumberlands northwest trappers supply
they are on the net. o goreman has good deals
but you have to order his catalog.

you can also run to your local grocery store and buy parafin canning wax it usualy takes me 15 lbs to fill my pot and i just keep adding as i need it

dirt hole set
i like to take a rock grass clump or bone to use as a backing and dig a hole small or large about 8-12 inches deep at a slight angle i bed my trap a hands width away dog pointed at the hole.
trap placement
IMG_3076.jpg

heres a picture of a finished set
0228101208a1.jpg

the hole set has killed alot fo coyotes cats and fox
i persoanly like a rub or flat set or trash mound
but i hole is deadly

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1ShotKillThanks for the help Chilson. Would that setup be effective in the winter, the dirt hole I mean?
yes

Back