yots not prime

bg

we were in wyo mountains at 10,000 ft hunting elk my boy shot a good mountain yote on the outside but all blue was the hide on the inside. I though they would be better at this time of year. bg

At 10,000 feet you'd think the coyote would be real cold, maybe that's why it was blue? lol. This is late Oct. and in Wyoming I'd think animals would start getting primed. Where I'm at in the high desert of Southern California late Nov. this year. It's still in the 90s in the day but getting in the 40s in the mornings.

In a recent article in "The Trapper and Predator Caller", they mentioned that fur prime and leather prime occur at two different times. The fur will fill out first, then the leather will turn whiter in about two weeks. I believe that "prime" comes from the amount of daylight, not temperatures.

bg, I assume you were elk hunting during our general season when your son shot the yote. We had record breaking high temps during that time (Oct.) and the yote might have been traveling from these hot lowlands to another location. This year, I delayed trapping canines a week and I have just started on coon. Blame it on the forest fires in Arnold's land (CA) lol PC

Cal, it's the same here in Deaverland but each animal is an individual unto itself as far as when it primes. All my coon have been prime too but just when I thought all was right, caught a blue one yesterday. PC

Back