12 ga "Light Twelve" Browning Question

Rustydog

I have a Belgium Browning "Light Twelve" Shotgun (Vented Rib-27" barrel) that I would really like to learn more about. (Made in Belgium, not Japan)

How old is it" Serial # 58911- Is it vaulable (90% Condition) and is there a market for these shotguns?

Thanks in advance,

Rustydog

Last edited:
I see alot of old A5 shotguns going for anywhere from 550-600 dollar range up here, that are not in 90% condition.

I had my 32" magnum 12 looked at and they said 1200-1300, more so just due to the barrel length than anything else.
Im sure id never get that price but its nice to what Its "worth" LOL

Im sure you will be able to find a buyer for it, they are IMO the best shotgun ever made. LOVE mine!

Good luck!

Dave

The peak of A5 prices is on a downturn. I have several NIB A5's, some LNIB and other safe queens. This time last yr you could have probably fetched close to $700 for the gun based on described condition depending on how the barrel is choked.

Search for "I Love my Browning" and post the question in the forum or PM for the actual forum because that Browning info is basically worthless if you want an actual production date.

I have 19 different versions of 12ga A5's and some I would sell if the market ever gets crazy like last year, but for now they will probably be left to my nephew.

Pictures and choke designation will help on value. Very detailed pictures of any and everything bit if it was me, I would keep it since it hasn't been produced for at least 7yrs as a Japan model and 35yrs as a Belgium model.

PM sent.
wink.gif

There is a market for A-5 as they have a strong fan base of collectors, my father being one of them. His first gun was a Remington Model 11, built on Browning's patent of course. He now owns both 20 ga and 16 ga models.

From what I've observed, a 12 gage is the least desirable to collectors and probably not coincidentally the most common. The Belgian-made factor is not the price elevator many people think it is, the problem being that regardless of where they were made, they made a lot of them. Finding a Belgian made one isn't exactly a needle in a haystack proposition, especially now in the days of the internet, so I wouldn't expect a huge price price increase because of it.

It depends on what you think of as "valuable" and obviously everyone's opinion of what 90% condition looks like will vary. In general, I've found people tend to over-estimate condition and when buying on the internet the sale price has come to reflect that in the sense that buyers assume conditionis overestimated and bid accordingly. Local markets also vary.

My guess would be $550-650 for a private sale. An exceptional example might fetch $700 or more on a good day and with luck in having the right buyer see it. You have to keep in mind, while online sites may have a lot of guns listed for silly-money prices, that doesn't mean that's what the guns are worth. Guns are worth what they actually sell for, not what they are listed for.

Grouse

Last edited:
I have a 12g light twelve belgum also, I had it looked at and I was told around $500-600 private sale. I would never sell it though.

think what you have is a model 31L. L stands for Light. My dad loves this gun and there doesn't seem to be many of them out there. One thing that i have found in everyone i have seen is that on the receiver in the very think small amount between where the vented rib is and where you put shells #2 & #3 (drawing a blank) it seems to crack very easily. Every one i have found in a gun shop has a small crack. Doesn't mess up the way it works but they do rack. Never seen one for more than about $400. THere aren't many Belgian models out there so you have a good gun and man it is light (if in fact you have the Model 31L).

I grew up watching dad shoot a Light Twelve and loved when he let me borrow it to hunt with. Just seemed I couldn't miss with that shotgun. Eventually I bought my own and used the heck out of it for many years. It has a place of honor in the safe, but seldom gets out in the field anymore.

jdp3,
Really, cracked receivers on A5's? I have never seen a cracked receiver on an A5, they're built like tanks or bank vaults. Do you mean the wooden forearm? Now that I have seen plenty of and in fact I broke mine once. That wood is very thin where it meets the receiver and if you get it in there and flex it much it will split lickety... split.
smile.gif
BTW the way, the centerfire BAR has the same problem. Though not as bad, it isn't too hard to split the wooden forearm on the BAR either.

I got a Light 12 A5 that was made in Belgium. It has a blonde stock that is in fact cracked. It's one of my 3 favorite guns and it will be handed down to one of my children in about 30 years.

Back