Cost of suppressor?

Always take into account your $200 Tax Stamp.

A QD (quick detach) or FA (fast attach) are the same thing and typically run a bit extra.

The only cost you SHOULD have to consider are the cost of the can, and the cost of the NFA Tax.
If you go through a dealer that charges you for the transfer, that sucks, but it might be you're only option. If you get to a dealer that has the one you want IN STOCK. That's great.

If they charge you to to help you fill out/send in paperwork...that sucks.
It's all stuff you can do on your own with a few questions on a board.

There are a few other threads dealing with suppressors lately that you might find some good info on.

Good Q & A here.

TONS more info at SilencerTalk

Real life suppressor stats at SilencerResearch.com

The money is not the hard part!

It's the waiting that sucks the most!

cost of the suppressor itself
$200 stamp
Cost of a living trust if don't have a nice LEO
dealer fees if he has any

That should cover it all OR if you want a safe amount and your not shopping for a high dollar one $2-3000 should cover ya!

Originally Posted By: dmpowder

That should cover it all OR if you want a safe amount and your not shopping for a high dollar one $2-3000 should cover ya!

Dang it I'll never be able to get one!
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: dmpowderIf you want a safe amount and your not shopping for a high dollar one $2-3000 should cover ya!

Yeah, that's a little excessive. Actually, that's a LOT excessive.

Even if you drop a grand on a suppressor. (and you can get any number of VERY GOOD suppressors for less than $1000) If your spending an extra $1000 on fees or paperwork or whatever, you're either getting jerked around, ripped off, or you're paying extra and are clearly not concerned about it.

Saw an article in the latest Varmint Hunter Magazine that I received yesterday that seemed to say 'gas flow' or something in Suppressors(only skimmed it last nite)caused the first bullet to be off from the follow up bullets in ARs?????Off by an inch or two.
Correct?Comments?

If you are going to put it on an 223 I would buy a .30 caliber can that way you can use it on anything smaller than .30 except for some magnums. Cost for a centerfire run from 500-1500. I have a Thunderbeast Arms 30P-1 that is rated for up to 300 win mag. It was 1095 plus the stamp. Their are videos on YouTube of guys shooting 223 and 308 through it.

cbass, Have you had a chance to shoot multiple yotes on the same stand with your whizzer setup with can? I was wondering how the other dogs reacted to the noise. I noticed a slight noise level at your gun from your videos.

We did a set this morning. I was not the shooter, only the camera man, but my cousin was shooting a SRT Hurricane XL TI (i think)
He took one out of a pair at about 35 yds, the other was another 100yds out and took off without presenting a good shot so we let him go.
Before we could even get the dog for a post kill interview, we hear 3 barking off in the distance so we decided to give it another minute on the Prairie Blaster.
Sure enough, 2 of them start coming in too.

There are lots of videos where folks pop one out of a pair using a suppressor and the one still breathing doesn't even flinch. OF COURSE, this happens when people shoot at dogs that have never been called or shot at too, but not all of us have that luxury. It's really dependent on the dog, some bolt, some don't know what the heck happened.

If you haven't seen my deer hunting video about the reaction of the deer when shooting suppressed, take a peek.
I'm going to work on another one with coyotes but it's not very representational considering that you never know the reasons that will make a coyote run. Maybe he saw you, maybe he's been shot at before, maybe he smelled something wrong. Just never know.

Thank you for the info! It would be for a .223 I wanted a little more info before i got infont of all those people who suck! It would be a sound suppressor.

Last edited:
$2-3000 is not all that far off

$1000 for the suppressor
$500 for a lawyer to do a living trust
$200 tax stamp
$1700 total

Plus if you live some where like me the only place to even see them is 1.5hrs away so you still have to figure in gas at least two trips.

Easy answer is $200 more then what suppressor will cost you.

If they were cheap everyone would be shooting with one!

$300-$1300 difference in your price break down vs the estimate you gave is a LONG way off. That's the price of another 1-3 guns or even another suppressor.
I don't know about your cash flow, but if someone gave me a quote (on ANYTHING) that ended up being 10%-43% off, I'd be pissed.

$1000 for a suppressor is on the high end but not uncommon.

You can do a trust yourself, and have a qualified lawyer double check if for peace of mind for MUCH less than $500 and even then...its a one time expense that wouldn't factor into any subsequent NFA purchases.
NOT ONLY THAT, but the trust is not limited to guns or suppressors. You can use that for a car, a house a plot of land. Anything you'd like.

That's like including the price of a car in your gun purchase budget because you use it to get back and forth to the shooting range.

I'm not trying to break your balls on the topic, cause you're right, they are expensive and if they were cheap or easy (or legal in all states) everyone would have them, but no suppressor owners in my shooting circles have dropped that kind of EXTRA coin on a purchase.

Suppressor = $200-$2000+ (depending on caliber and materials)
Tax = $200
transfers and paperwork via dealers = ($0-$50) should be minimal to non-existent

Originally Posted By: dmpowder$2-3000 is not all that far off

$1000 for the suppressor
$500 for a lawyer to do a living trust
$200 tax stamp
$1700 total

Plus if you live some where like me the only place to even see them is 1.5hrs away so you still have to figure in gas at least two trips.

Easy answer is $200 more then what suppressor will cost you.

If they were cheap everyone would be shooting with one!

Say for a .223rem, the AAC M4-2000 MOD 08 is rated at the top of the heep if not the top. Think I paid $800 or $900 for it plus a $200 tax. So out the door I was at or just above a grand.

Then you need a adaptor so either another $80 for the flash hider or $150 for the break.

I also got help with my living trust from my dealer so it was free. And I have heard alot of people have used quicken wills and not had any problems.

Originally Posted By: jbuckI also got help with my living trust from my dealer so it was free. And I have heard alot of people have used quicken wills and not had any problems.

this is a whole other bag of bolts.

A dealer shouldn't be giving legal advice on Living Trusts in the first place. Suggesting it or making it known that a trust is an option is fine and dandy, but giving you a template or telling you how to do one, is a big no no.
Quicken Will Maker is also a viable option used by LOTS of folks, but regardless. Software can become outdated and laws can become updated. You need to make sure that your trust is legal in your state. The ATF is not centered around trust laws of individual states. Just because they approve your Form 4..does NOT mean that your trust is even valid.
I found my own template and filled it out, compared it to a Quicken trust that I made according to the South Dakota info options, and then had a lawyer look over it for errors and wording.
If you want to take short cuts with paperwork like trusts...(and I did)...make sure you check, recheck, and then do it all over again.

I would be VERY careful doing your own trusts and,in fact,I'd be VERY careful in the lawyer I'd hire to do one.It is NOT just a 'simple' living trust by any means and the consequences of a mistake are beyond serious if you like hunting,guns,etc.
Remember,you get what you pay for on the internet.

I don't really wan't to get into it here, not only because it will turn into a HUGE debate mostly based on speculation, but also because I started a "Trust" thread at Silencer Talk

Not one single time in the history of of the NFA, has a person had a NFA item seized or been imprisoned or fined because of the trust.
It is still a very good idea to have a qualified lawyer in your state double check it for validity, to make sure you didn't make any mistakes, and to see if trusts in your state need to be filed in order to be legit.

Again, rather than go through it all over again...I suggest reading that entire thread front to back.

I have a AAC 7.62SD and a locally manufactured 22lr on the way. The AAC ran $825 shipped with one adapter, I bought another Brakeout for my AR-15 at $90. I wanted a QD can for my AR-10 and AR-15 so the options get limited pretty fast. I wanted a Gemtech Quicksand, but at $1475 MSRP, that was out of the question. The 22lr ran $250, I watched my local smith shoot his in his shop and felt the can did a good enough job for a 22lr can.

I want to go with the Trust option, but I'm not sure if I want to go through all that and worry about getting it right. I still have a week or two before my can gets here and I have to decide which way I'm going to go.

Go to SilencerTalk and read, read, read. Lots of opinions, lots of reviews. I picked AAC for what I thought was the best trade off between size, weight and price. Whichever can you decide to go with, just be prepared for the 3-6 month wait.

Back