Your favorite coyote bait recipe

k9

Anyone out there have a favorite homemade coyote bait they would like to share.

Do you prefer fresh or tainted? Ground or chunks? Buried or sun tainted? Adding anything to it or just plain old bait? (ie: fox urine, skunk essence, etc)

For those of you that taint it what are you using to preserve it or stop the process?

I personally don't have any recipes that I can share, as I have mostly used pocket gophers whole at sets, skunks, and commercial baits. Some years ago when I had access to some horse meat I found it to be very good tainted.

I may start playing around with some cat meat and skunk carcasses to see if I can find that magic recipe that fills my traps every day.

You could try geting some horse hoof trimmings and boil them and then put the water in bottles and let it set in the sun for a couple of weeks.
What ever you do don't spill any on yourself. Smells real bad, but works real good.

coyotestalker

I talked with an interesting guy the other day about horse hooves. He is a farrier (SP?) and has been for many years. He is also a trapper and was telling me that if he were to make hoof bait, he would use the frogs not the hoof shavings. The frog is the part that comes out of the center of the hoof. He told me that when he is working horses, any dogs around the area always seek out and gobble up the frogs first, then after a while will chew and mess with the hoof shavings. He says he has watched this many times, and that the frog is consistently preferred and seeked by the canines.

My favorite bait recipe is two short barks followed immediately with about a 5 second tapered howl
grinning-smiley-018.gif

Bait that I personally use, conveniently enough, are the guts from my meatrabbits. I frequently have guts available since we butcher about four rabbits every two weeks. I make sure to open the guts up for the really pungent odor to come out. Works well for fox.

My best luck has been with slightly tainted bobcat or housecat meat, age til the meat is grey on the outside and still pink in the middle, stop the taint with sodium benzolate 8 ounces per gallon, i mix my sodium benzolate with bobcat uirne before adding to get it to absorb better, at this point you can play around with what to add, some good ideas are muskrat glands, beaver cator, tinctured skunk essence, asafoetida, tonquin that type of thing, don't be afraid to experiment, make some more tainted, some less tainted, add different ingredients see what works for you in your area. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Here is a old formulation that I use and works very well. I can't remember where I got the recipe from but here it is.

1/4 oz. Tonquin Musk Oil
2 oz. ground Muskrat Musk
1 oz. ground Beaver Castor
1 oz. ground Mink Musk
1/2 oz. Asafoetida
1 tsp. Oil of Lovage
1 oz. Ambergris Oil
8 oz. Juice from rotted mice

Mix all above ingredients in a quart jar, fill up the jar to within a inch of the top with sun-rendered fish juice and shake up to mix well. Age in a warm place for at least a month. Use about six drops per set.

Back